• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to upgrade your Windows 7/8 first to Windows 10, ACTIVATE Windows 10 in that way.
Only then can you nuke and fresh install to empty partition.
Microsoft servers will *gasp* 'remember' your machine and will activate the fresh install. But only if you FIRST upgrade from already running Windows 7/8.

I don't want to do that. How will the people who buy it install it?

Also if MS remembers your machine, what happens if you take your full version iso over to another machine. If you're tied to the first machine, then your full/retail version just got downgraded to OEM.

Last edited:
So what's the bottom line here?

Does Microsoft collect, use and share your info like browser history?
Do they know abut your wifi?
Updates are still fully Auto?
Still free until 2016?
Can I still sign up for insiders or is there no point since it's now on store shelves?

If someone says Microsoft shares your browsers history they need to post proof, I have not seen any.
Microsoft knows your machine, yes. They can activate Windows 10 on a fresh install but only after you upgraded once from already installed Win 7/8. They 'know' your machine. There is no escape.
Updates are Auto Mandatory on Home version and can be turned off on Pro version.
Windows 10 is available to owners of Win7/8 legit keys to download for one year after today. It will remain free after that longer than Windows 7/8 will last.
You cannot sign up to be a Windows Insider any more.

I don't want to do that. How will the people who buy it install it?

Also if MS remembers your machine, what happens if you take your full version iso over to another machine. If you're tied to the first machine, then your full/retail version just got downgraded to OEM.

We are talking about FREE upgrade situations.
People who buy it will buy a new Windows 10 key - that's how they will install fresh.

I need to see more confirmations on this but your retail key is supposed to allow you to do with Windows 10 what you were able to do with Windows 7 and 8.
I need to see the details of this still but that is the understanding. I hope to see links confirming the details of legitimate questions owners of RETAIL non OEM keys like you and me have.

If you have a retail key, on each machine you will have to install Windows 7/8 FIRST.
Then you can install Windows 10 fresh after the one time you upgrade-install.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you turn that off, it helps performance for pulling updates. It is only on your network.

What is with the complaining about every last thing in the OS? You guys are seriously arguing/angry over the version numbers. C'mon.

According to what I have read, it says local and the internet. I don't know about you, but I don't want them using my computer and bandwidth as part of their distribution network.

Delivery Optimization also sends updates and apps from your PC to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet.

Absolutely medo145.

Change your Wi-Fi network name/SSID to something that includes _nomap_optout

Then after the upgrade is complete, change the privacy settings in Windows to DISABLE Wi-Fi Sense sharing.

But I think it's OK if we just simply DISABLE Wi-Fi Sense sharing first chance we get inside Windows 10.

If someone says Microsoft shares your browsers history they need to post proof

Agreed. And as soon as M$ says they won't I'd like to see that , too. They seem to have to reserved some pretty vague 'rights' for themselves. I'm guilty of posting a lot of "what ifs" recently myself. I would love Microsoft to prove them baseless paranoia , but I keep finding info that points to them setting themselves up to have the ability to do these things. Any lawyer will tell you if it isn't in writing it doesn't exist. When M$ puts their good intentions in legally binding writing I'll feel better. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions and so on.

If you have a small partition on your SSD just for the OS, you are going to have major problems downloading the ISO.

They made the downloader save the ISO files to your OS partition FIRST even if you tell it to save it elsewhere.
Even if you have enough space for the initial 5.55GB download - the downloader completes the download and starts reassembling the files - requiring double the space and once again, it does this on the OS partition and not where you told it to save the ISO.

Finally it gets the ISO ready and ONLY then does it save it where you told it to save it.

So you need like close to 20GB of space ON YOUR OS PARTITION just to download a 5.55GB ISO.

I tried rebooting into Windows XP where I had more space but IT MATTERS where you download the ISO from.
From Windows XP - there are queues and reserved links but the created link when downloading from Windows XP is a direct link to an actual ISO file whereas if you download from Windows 7/8, there is downloading and compiling and only then finally creating the ISO. And you need four times the space it seems to first prepare and only then create the ISO in the end. I wonder why.

If you have a small partition on your SSD just for the OS, you are going to have major problems downloading the ISO.

They made the downloader save the ISO files to your OS partition FIRST even if you tell it to save it elsewhere.
Even if you have enough space for the initial 5.55GB download - the downloader completes the download and starts reassembling the files - requiring double the space and once again, it does this on the OS partition and not where you told it to save the ISO.

Finally it gets the ISO ready and ONLY then does it save it where you told it to save it.

So you need like close to 20GB of space ON YOUR OS PARTITION just to download a 5.55GB ISO.

I tried rebooting into Windows XP where I had more space but IT MATTERS where you download the ISO from.
From Windows XP - there are queues and reserved links but the created link when downloading from Windows XP is a direct link to an actual ISO file whereas if you download from Windows 7/8, there is downloading and compiling and only then finally creating the ISO. And you need four times the space it seems to first prepare and only then create the ISO in the end. I wonder why.

Looks like it's sifting through the win7/8 partition getting prepped to install there. It most likely is getting info that it will use for the installation such as COA key/installation hash #s from old OS, user names/accounts, etc and builds it right into the iso. It doesn't need any of that info from XP which will just be overwritten for a clean install.

You gave me a great idea though. I'll download that iso from one of my VMs. My insider winten VM :muahaha:

Blacksun, yes. Windows 10 has been officially released July 29, 2015.
That is the official Microsoft download page.

Windows 10 upgrades Windows 7/8 for free. It does not upgrade Vista or Windows XP.
The free upgrade offer will last until July 29, 2016.

I reserved my copy but I think one of my friends remove the update that enabled the small windows in the corner to inform you to update because I thought once I reserved it went away but I've read it was through that I need to get my free copy but I have got no email or nothing so am I out of my free copy and is it free until after the first year.

At the moment I am thinking of risking the upgrade and then I would like to test it and see I have any issues with drivers etc which I will download before hand and if there's issues I would do a fresh install of Win 7 anyway.

If I can get my free copy everything seems to be down to get it and how would I get a product key for it

Microsoft servers will *gasp* 'remember' your machine and will activate the fresh install. But only if you FIRST upgrade from already running Windows 7/8.
Do you know if it will still remember the machine if the HD is swapped with an SSD?

I've updated the Wife's PC from 7SP1 to 10 but my goal is to get that running on an SSD too. I had the machine running 9926 on the SSD and it was a *lot* better than 7 on spinning rust. After the upgrade to 10 I created rescue media on a USB thumb drive but was unable to get it to do anything on the SSD. It reported that the destination drive was too small, even after I deleted all partitions on the SSD using gparted. Is that because the destination is smaller than the source? (240GB SSD vs. 500GB HD.) Disk us on the HD is about 100GB so I felt that the 240GB SSD would be more than enough.

I could try that but I've already got Linux installed on the SSD. (And it flies!)

Thanks!

I reserved my copy but I think one of my friends remove the update that enabled the small windows in the corner to inform you to update because I thought once I reserved it went away but I've read it was through that I need to get my free copy but I have got no email or nothing so am I out of my free copy and is it free until after the first year.

At the moment I am thinking of risking the upgrade and then I would like to test it and see I have any issues with drivers etc which I will download before hand and if there's issues I would do a fresh install of Win 7 anyway.

If I can get my free copy everything seems to be down to get it and how would I get a product key for it

It will activate once you log on with the email addy you used to reserve it. If you're upgrading, it will activate using the key from the original win 7 os you have installed on the machine.

Do you know if it will still remember the machine if the HD is swapped with an SSD?

I've updated the Wife's PC from 7SP1 to 10 but my goal is to get that running on an SSD too. I had the machine running 9926 on the SSD and it was a *lot* better than 7 on spinning rust. After the upgrade to 10 I created rescue media on a USB thumb drive but was unable to get it to do anything on the SSD. It reported that the destination drive was too small, even after I deleted all partitions on the SSD using gparted. Is that because the destination is smaller than the source? (240GB SSD vs. 500GB HD.) Disk us on the HD is about 100GB so I felt that the 240GB SSD would be more than enough.

I could try that but I've already got Linux installed on the SSD. (And it flies!)

Thanks!

I believe it is tied to a hardwareID assigned by your motherboard. So it should be fine.

Maybe that is why mine won't activate... I installed W10 on a different system than what I tested previous versions on...What a PITA this has become.

EDIT: Actually, I got an ISO from Audio, and installed that on the correct system and upgraded from that... any ideas???

ANd of course there doesn't seem to be an 'easy' way to contact MS (they don't give a 1-800 # in windows, etc)

You could give this a try, https://github.com/vlee489/Windows-10-reserve-fixer-/blob/master/win10fix_full.bat

I have the windows thing at the bottom but it still says "Thank you for reserving the update, we will let you know when its ready."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back