• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Punishment for not playing ball their way. No , thank you.

Putting words to the queasy feeling I have :) I try to tell myself that they are just trying to make it hard for knoobs to jack up the internal workings (even knoobs like me who pretend they know). How many folks will say "I know what I'm doing! I'll just ignore this warning!" and then be on the phone with tech support for the next week :) I try to tell myself they are just trying to shave dollars in tech support and increase user friendly-ness. I feel real dumb when the data mining starts.....

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing
the use of the services”.

Sounds like they can break into your emails without a warrant. Seems to me the proper procedure for enforcement of ToS is to bring their proof to the proper authorities and then prosecute. This is a little more like saying you must give them a key to your apartment to because it's in their country ( in this example they are not the building owners who would have a need and right to have a key). There really should be a clear line of how and when such intrusions would be made. It would feel a lot less like a blanket of protection for violating your privacy. Oddly enough we are in a time where digital rights are being coveted by musicians and software developers, yet these folks wish to remove the rights of the end user right at the door.

Last edited:
It is July 29, 2015 and I've read through the thread and have compiled major questions that are not 100% clear. Please post source of answers to them:
It is not possible to do a clean install of this ISO

So far I have not been able to do that. I found one link that suggested to perform the upgrade on an activated installation, create recovery media and then use that to install to a new drive. (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...stalling/58df9c7d-84de-4652-9952-8bac34abc6c5)

My situation... My wife's PC ran Win7 and I thought it was about time for an upgrade. I've been running the technical preview on my PC and on several VMs and the experience has been pretty good for a Microsoft product.

That ended today. I had installed an SSD in Wife's PC and installed TP 9266 last week. Unlike the install on my PC, it never updated to RTM and continued to nag about activation. I tried activating using the key on the sticker on the laptop but that was a no-go. I put the original spinning rust in and tried to update that. That turned into quite a struggle as the helper app from MS first insisted the PC was not eligible and then required a patch that had already been installed. Some determined searching revealed the upgrade app and I was off and running. Several hours later I had Win10 on spinning rust and in an hour or so, I had a restore media created on an 8GB USB drive. (a 4GB drive was not big enough.)

I tried starting the recovery media and when it got to installing, it reported "disk drive too small" or something like that. It is a 240GB SSD. It's big enough. Next I booted a rescue CD and deleted the partition table so the drive would look brand new. Same problem.

By this point I was getting pretty frustrated. I had started this and had been working on it off and on since 6:00 AM. I stepped back and thought about what good recovery media is if it cannot recover to an empty drive. I started hearing echoes of a time I tried to recover some files from a Windows backup and could not.

I slapped a Mint 17.1 (Cinnamon) DVD in the drive and in 20 minutes it was up and running. A few minutes later I had installed Chrome and set up an account for SWMBO and she is back in business. We'll see how it goes. She's used Linux before but prefers Windows. At the moment she has the choice between Win10 on spinning rust or Linux on an SSD. O asked her to give Linux a go for a couple days and then I'll swap her drive again so she can try Win10.

Maybe when Win10 has been out for a while there will be better options for migrating it to an SSD.

Good luck!

Are you saying the privacy concerns you are quoting are new in Windows 10 EULA or are they *also* present in Windows 8.1 EULA?

How did you get this Audioaficionado? What was your starting point, was it Windows 7/8 or an earlier version of Windows Insider Windows 10?

10240.16393.amd64fre.th1_st1.150717-1719

Looks like this was the 7-29 release version after all.

You an opt out, chill. Also, hello from Windows 10. It's awesome, install it.

the default behavior for this should be opt in, not opt out. just like they use your install of win10 to deliver updates from your pc to others on the internet

Windows Update Delivery Optimization lets you get Windows updates and Windows Store apps from sources in addition to Microsoft. This can help you get updates and apps more quickly if you have a limited or unreliable Internet connection. And if you own more than one PC, it can reduce the amount of Internet bandwidth needed to keep all of your PCs up-to-date. Delivery Optimization also sends updates and apps from your PC to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet.

Delivery Optimization is turned on by default in Windows 10.
source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq
how to turn it off: http://gfycat.com/AcclaimedWellinformedAlligatorsnappingturtle

Yeah, users that know about these "features" probably do turn them off. If the end user has no idea about it, they are out of luck. These are not options you are asked about during install like the privacy/location/ad tracking stuff.

M$ is obviously going to gather and store enough data to identify a particular machine and allow the OS to be authorized (re-install) without a product key. The EULA doesn't tell us how much/what kind of data , and M$ changed their privacy terms not long ago. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed on these issues but I see enough questions to stop considering W 10 as my future OS altogether for the moment.

That kind of information has been easily obtainable by any OS for well over a decade - drive manufacturing dates and serial numbers via SMART, motherboard serial and BIOS versions via DMI, monitor specs via DDC, etc. I'm somewhat surprised they've taken so damn long to even consider doing automatic reactivation with that information, given how very easy it would be to identify individual machines while still allowing minor hardware changes like adding or replacing a drive, buying a new GPU or monitor, etc.

Just a short note here:

I downloaded and created a DVD of the ISO image of Windows 10.

I performed an in place upgrade of a working and activated Win 8.1 install. (Note it took over 2 hours for the upgrade to activate. It DID however activate.)

Nuked the drive completely.

Used the DVD I created to install a fresh copy. (I did not at any time install the 25 character code as I was able to skip it.)

After the install Windows 10 was working and fully activated. (And I dont know why LOL )

The basic install takes about 16gigs.

Z

Are you saying the privacy concerns you are quoting are new in Windows 10 EULA or are they *also* present in Windows 8.1 EULA?

How did you get this Audioaficionado? What was your starting point, was it Windows 7/8 or an earlier version of Windows Insider Windows 10?

I did a clean install of 10130 and updated it with the 10158 iso manually because of an update bug. All updates were automatic from that time on.

When build 10240 came up, I checked the version in the registry right after it installed. Today I rechecked and the # was the same. So 10240 was the early release of the final code to insiders. Several subsequent updates didn't change the # FWIW. The privacy policy isn't specific to winten. It's more of a general MS policy. There will be ways to lock this stuff down. Too many smart people out there for MS to have its way every time. For casual use, winten is fine as is. I would be careful if you want to store and use critical private data until we know more about this new beast.

Yeah, users that know about these "features" probably do turn them off. If the end user has no idea about it, they are out of luck. These are not options you are asked about during install like the privacy/location/ad tracking stuff.

I'm 99% sure every one of those options or almost all were in the windows setting up process where you create your ID etc.

Now this link is dead. Talk about timing....

After these revelations, I'm holding back on the upgrade. If this really is the case on privacy, I hope W10 bombs like Win8 did so the company loses lots of money and learns. That's the only way. If this is just a few little things that can be worked out, I'm fine by that as well.

After these revelations, I'm holding back on the upgrade. If this really is the case on privacy, I hope W10 bombs like Win8 did so the company loses lots of money and learns. That's the only way. If this is just a few little things that can be worked out, I'm fine by that as well.
You want them to lose money, why? I've been using it all day and got everything fully migrated over. It looks and works great. You are blowing this way out of proportion.

They've ( ubiquitous THEY) have been trying to make us pay for tech with freedoms for quite some time now. I rather expected something of this sort. Also M$ made a winning business decision (for themselves) by the freebie upgrade. No lost revenue for a year and they still have the oems rolling out machines with pre-installs

You want them to lose money, why? I've been using it all day and got everything fully migrated over. It looks and works great. You are blowing this way out of proportion.

No we don't want them to lose money, but freedoms are eroded in this way, and giving users less control of their system is a negative. If a boycott such as the one I heard about with the XBone is the only way a company the size of M$ will listen then so be it. I have thought that EULA restrictions were quite generous to the company all along and hab accepted it as part of the cost to use the product. It seems as if that already steep (IMHO) price is being raised to gouging levels. I fully support the right to charge what people will pay, but reading my email without a warrant goes beyond defending your product and the ToS

So what's the bottom line here?

Does Microsoft collect, use and share your info like browser history?
Do they know abut your wifi?
Updates are still fully Auto?
Still free until 2016?
Can I still sign up for insiders or is there no point since it's now on store shelves?

Anyone have success fresh installing from DVD/USB drive media on a virgin machine on blank HD yet? Activation is part of the installation process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back