• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh sort of, they stated they want to monetize different aspects, but it doesn't specify anything about needing to pay an annual subscription and it has been outright denied and clarified by Microsoft that there will not be an annual subscription for Windows 10.

I still want to read the release candidate EULA before I install 10. M$ has a long time to change wording and intent between Q4/2015 and now. Ever vigilant.

Oh I agree with you on that, I'm just being hopefully optimistic that they don't pull a 180 to hurt the consumer.

My comment was not one of disappointment at Microsoft for doing this or that... because I thought we established that Microsoft was not going to charge a yearly ransom... but clearly, this perceived ambiguity is by design. They are "testing the waters" with this or else we wouldn't be having a discussion about "will they" or "won't they".

Why would most of us pay a yearly fee when Classic Shell is right there and Free!? We wouldn't.

Terry Myerson is Microsoft's Executive Vice President of Operating Systems.

Source PC Gamer:

Terry Myerson.jpg

Why was it even necessary to cause a justifiable legitimate question like that *after* the presentation?
If this was not by design, then how do these people justify their huge salaries? That's what they get paid for, clarify any and all confusion caused by others, about a major product launch... yet here we have people at he top themselves causing the confusion that will cast doubt on Windows 10 long after everything has actually been clarified...

This has now permeated common knowledge and Average Joes will now stay away from Windows 10 because they will say "Well I HEARD they charge for it every year if you buy it..." long after this has been clarified.

There is no quote by Microsoft stating anything about a subscription. I think the author is full of it and/or making assumptions.

+ 1

Until someone finds something official from Microsoft stating they have changed their stance, stand down and :beer:

Life's too short... cool.gif

Enterprise versions of Windows will not get a free upgrade to Windows 10. Others still will.
Mainstream news is running articles with no mention about subscriptions:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/windows-10-free/story?id=28672317

I think that Microsoft needs to make sure every article specifically says no subscription, before people start assuming there is based on absence of any mention of it.

I think that Microsoft needs to make sure every article specifically says no subscription, before people start assuming there is based on absence of any mention of it.

It's the reason I'm holding off till all the "legalese" is put aside. To me, they seem to be very mindful of the words they are using, and the way they are phrasing every statement and response.

If I were an investor in Microsoft Corp, that explanation would be preferable to incompetence.

But as a consumer, as a customer - both explanations are scary and worrisome....
Subscription option exists in their other line of products, therefore it is not unreasonable to point out that their comments about it in Windows 10 were not part of the official presentation, why weren't they?

Last edited:
MS is trying to hedge every bet out there. Why commit to Stance A today when six months from now the winds have changed and they can comfortably and profitably take Stance B? There will be a lot of MS monitoring of the winds during that time and there may be Stances C, D, and E before it's all said and done. If someone here would loan me a $100BN I'll take MS private and tell everyone nothing even better than today's BoD. I'll pay you back; promise.

^ I'd like something a little more concrete as well. I can easily picture a scenario that has Stance B as "Things have changed for us so we have to charge you monthly now". Eighteen months after my Win 7 key has been permanently invalidated. Paranoid ?Maybe. Actually reading a few EULAs will do that. Some are so poorly written as to be unenforceable , and some seem to grant unfettered access to your HDD. Other than freeware , they all retain far reaching rights of control and distribution which could easily leave open an ongoing financial model with very few , well chosen , words of legalese. We have unfortunately reached a point as a civilization where I'm not jumping until the lawyers say it's safe.

I have enough spare win7 COAs to burn one for win-ten.

I also have 2 vista COAs I'll never use again lol.

Info now being released that Win10 will be pushed via Windows Update at some point. I imagine the EULA will be released for our viewing prior to that. Still, from a 100,000 ft level, this is the kind of integration I was hoping for back before Win8 went Live.

I'm guessing the Windows Update push - coupled with the free upgrade window - is MS's major leap toward eliminating (more of?) their older OS versions and getting more Windows consumers to move forward.

Hm... to Fresh Install or not to Fresh Install.... so we get to switch to Win 10 and we get to keep all the installed programs?

I just did an in place upgrade for my work laptop (was on 8.1) to win 10 and it went well overall.

Apparently it is a known issue for it to not work properly sometimes and the fix is to disable most of the non-essential hardware in bios (especially network cards) I guess it has issues when it doesn't have a driver immediately. I did that and Uninstalled Symantec endpoint protection because our version (12.1.4) isn't compatible.

Did Microsoft ever get that new file system ready for win-ten? NTFS has been around since the last millennium.

Did Microsoft ever get that new file system ready for win-ten? NTFS has been around since the last millennium.

I never knew they were working on ReFS.
Never knew it existed until you mentioned it.

Sounds neat, I wouldn't mind trying it out if it makes it into 10.
From some quick reading, it sounds like Windows 7 will be able to read ReFS.
"If the OS can read NTFS, it can read ReFS." Maybe XP even then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back