• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well I am running 24x7, as my windows 7's directdraw crapped out and when I wanted to play good olde Ages 2 (non HD) it Blue screened. so I thought why reinstall windows 7 when I can "upgrade" to Windows 10!
Works fine besides the random freezing

You don't have to do a fresh install, mine updated without any problems

Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

July 2, 2015 6:01 am by Terry Myerson

Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

Updated July 2, 2015 6:07 am

With around four weeks to go before Windows 10 becomes available, I thought it would be helpful to provide some context on how we will roll-out Windows 10 to the world. We’ve been really pleased with the strong response to Windows 10 since we kicked off reservations in early June, with millions of reservations. We want to make sure all of you have a great upgrade experience, so we’ll roll-out Windows 10 in phases to help manage the demand. More details on what to expect are provided below.

We’ve shared before how Windows 10 will be familiar and more secure, with a natural experience that makes it easy for people to be more productive and have more fun. We can’t wait to deliver innovations like Cortana, Windows Hello, Microsoft Edge, Continuum, and so much more to your PC or tablet on July 29.* For the first time, we will deliver Windows as a service, with the commitment to offer ongoing innovations and security updates to you. In this world, Windows 10 is continuously improved and keeps getting better and better – for our consumer and business customers. We’re incredibly proud of the progress we’ve made and believe we are nearly ready to ship Windows 10 broadly to the world.

Preparing for Windows 10 Upgrades

With all of our ecosystem partners, we have been actively engaged to work on device and application compatibility. It’s been amazing to see the teamwork taking place across companies to ensure a quality experience as our shared customers experience Windows 10 soon. In our testing of millions of systems, we’re seeing full compatibility today with the vast majority of Windows 8x and Windows 7x systems– and we are not yet done, we will never be done – we will be continuing this application and device compatibility work every day as part of our ongoing commitment to Windows as a service.

We are also rigorously testing and listening to every signal from our 5 million Windows Insiders on the quality and readiness of Windows 10.

Soon, we will give a build of Windows 10 to our OEM partners so they can start imaging new devices with Windows 10. The new devices our partners are working on are very exciting, I can’t wait to hear your feedback as you get a chance to use them.

Soon after, we will distribute a build of Windows 10 to retailers all over the world, so they can assist their customers with upgrades of newly purchased devices that were originally imaged with Windows 8.1. Look for this sticker for assurance that our OEM partners have proactively tested a device for compatibility with Windows 10.

X20-40513-Packaging-LABEL-WIN-HOME-10-English-BTS-RDX-Demo-01.png

How To Know When You’re Ready to Upgrade

Starting on July 29, we will start rolling out Windows 10 to our Windows Insiders. From there, we will start notifying reserved systems in waves, slowly scaling up after July 29th. Each day of the roll-out, we will listen, learn and update the experience for all Windows 10 users.

If you reserved your copy of Windows 10, we will notify you once our compatibility work confirms you will have a great experience, and Windows 10 has been downloaded on your system.

W10_Laptop_AUX_Build_16x9_en-US_070115-01-1024x576.png

If your system is not ready yet for your upgrade to Windows 10, we will provide more details during the upgrade experience. In some cases, we will include contact information so you can follow up directly with an application provider or device manufacturer to learn more. For most upgrade incompatibilities, you may still choose to complete the upgrade, and find alternative compatible solutions in the Windows Store after you upgrade.

Business Customers and Windows 10

The Windows as a service model extends to our enterprise and business customers as well. We’ve announced new servicing benefits, such as Windows Update for Business, and we’re working hard on a range of new features and capabilities for our enterprise customers. Windows 10 Pro will be available on July 29, along with Windows 10 Home. Volume licensing customers will be able to download Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education on Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) starting on August 1.

Window 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education offer a rich set of fundamentals that you would expect from Windows, and a range of security, deployment and management features. Just like for our consumer customers, we’ll continue to introduce new features and updates in an ongoing manner, including Enterprise Data Protection later this year. You can see more details on each version, including specific features, here. We encourage you to prepare for your deployment of Windows 10 in the coming months.

Thank you to our Windows Insiders for helping us build Windows 10. We hope you’ll continue to stay in the Windows Insider program and provide us with ongoing, valuable feedback on what comes next. Thank you to our partners for helping us ensure a great upgrade experience for our joint customers. And, thank you to our early reserve customers. We are humbled by your excitement and we can’t wait to deliver Windows 10 to you soon. For others, I encourage you to reserve your copy now. We will notify you when Windows 10 is ready for your PC, tablet, phone, Xbox, or HoloLens!

-Terry

*Cortana available in select markets; Windows Hello requires specified hardware. More details at Windows.com/windows10specs.

Find out which Windows is right for you

Source

For the first time, we will deliver Windows as a service,
:blah:

They keep saying this phrase. I'm convinced it's eventually going to morph into a subscription model OS. With forced updates there's really nothing to stop them. It's just a matter of time. Might be several months or a few years, but that is where the rabbit trail is going.

Eventually if you want that next cool app to download and install, you'll have to be on the latest version of windows and that will be the subscription version. It will be easy to switch over. Even easier than upgrading from Win7/8 as it won't be a new version, but just needs a EULA box to check and you're on your way to the next new thing lol.

Welcome to the faster Fast ring

July 2, 2015 10:07 am by Gabe Aul

Welcome to the faster Fast ring

Hi everyone,

We have one more surprise for you this week – Build 10162, releasing to the Fast ring.

We’re at the point in the development of Windows 10 where nearly every build is getting out to our internal rings, and passing the criteria for release to Windows Insiders. We’re focused at this point on bug fixing and final polish, so it’s much easier for each build to get all the way through than earlier in the cycle when we’re adding big new features. So now we find ourselves in a great situation, with an abundance of build candidates. We’re deciding how long to let each build stay with Windows Insiders so you can really exercise them and send feedback on any problems that you’re hitting. I know many of you have said you’d love daily builds, but it is actually important sometimes to get a few days on a build so that all of the code that does deferred work (like OneDrive sync, search indexing, background updating, etc.) can run and we can get feedback and error reports.

We just released Build 10159 with our new wallpaper and logon UI on Tuesday, but this is a holiday weekend in the US and we thought that some of you might want to get an even fresher build on your PCs to play with over the long weekend. Build 10162 is another great one. In fact, our testing and internal telemetry metrics show it has better reliability, performance, battery life, and compatibility than any Windows 10 Insider Preview build so far.

We haven’t forgotten about Windows Insiders in the Slow ring either – we’re looking at Build 10162 as a candidate and unless we see any issues emerge in the Fast ring we’ll look to publish it to Slow (with ISOs) early next week.

We’re getting close now! We hope you’re as excited as we are about how Windows 10 is shaping up.

Thanks,
g

Source

cool.gif

Here we go again lol.

When they get the final build that's equivalent to RTM...

Then and only then is when it all begins to count... ;)

You didn't get some of the builds because they were bug ridden, hence the limited release until they can fix the bugs - and then test the impact of less serious bugs on your system...

This is what Windows 10 Beta is... it's really only meant for testing and reporting bugs... but surprisingly large number of people have installed Windows 10 Beta and are using it as their main OS on their main rig! :shrug:

It's puzzling as to what their retail plan is, how are they possibly going to have time to get the RTM packaged and all to newegg (or wherever) some three weeks from now if they are still working on the code?

I'm thinking this and maybe early next week will be a flurry of activity with lots of builds going out. When the builds stop, we're there more or less. One final RTM build for those who continue on as insiders. Then it will be updates and post RTM builds from then on for insiders.

Then and only then is when it all begins to count... ;)

You didn't get some of the builds because they were bug ridden, hence the limited release until they can fix the bugs - and then test the impact of less serious bugs on your system...

This is what Windows 10 Beta is... it's really only meant for testing and reporting bugs... but surprisingly large number of people have installed Windows 10 Beta and are using it as their main OS on their main rig! :shrug:

It's puzzling as to what their retail plan is, how are they possibly going to have time to get the RTM packaged and all to newegg (or wherever) some three weeks from now if they are still working on the code?

Windows 10 Is Coming, But Don't Expect It This Month

I imagine that when you install you will be doing updates soon after that to get whatever latest build is going to be available. I would think in the next week (same as audio) that there will be a 'gold'/good enough build that will be sent to be pressed. For all we know they are much further along than 10162 and are just putting out other parts for people to give feedback on.

While I do agree with you in part about only using it in a test case, I think it is important for people (who are willing to accept bugs) to use it as their primary OS. That allows you to see where issues truly lie, as if I am only using a test machine at the office I'm not putting it through the day-to-day usage amounts that I do on my primary.

Build 10162 installed and currently updating without issue...:thup:

They pretty much laid it out in post #505

Starting on July 29, we will start rolling out Windows 10 to our Windows Insiders. From there, we will start notifying reserved systems in waves, slowly scaling up after July 29th. Each day of the roll-out, we will listen, learn and update the experience for all Windows 10 users.

If you reserved your copy of Windows 10, we will notify you once our compatibility work confirms you will have a great experience, and Windows 10 has been downloaded on your system.

Insiders first, then on down the list...

The psyicla media whether it be DVD or USB flash drive version will follow some time later.....How much later :shrug:

Is there really confusion on whether or not this has all been about a Technical/Insider Preview ??

Microsoft will initially release Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Home on July 29. At this time, Microsoft will begin to ship the OS to OEMs, but it will take time for these companies to get products with the new OS ready. Also on July 29, Windows Insiders will be able to download a copy of Windows 10 and will be the first to use the new OS.
:clap:

If I put it on my SSD as an insider test on the 2nd partition, will it steal the win7 COA key on the first partition? Can't really give it a proper test drive unless it's on the bare metal system. Don't really have the spare bux for a 2nd SSD.

Last edited:
My bad, forgot earlier. :sly:

If doing a clean install you will need a new key to activate.

Product Keys.png

:blah:

They keep saying this phrase. I'm convinced it's eventually going to morph into a subscription model OS. With forced updates there's really nothing to stop them. It's just a matter of time. Might be several months or a few years, but that is where the rabbit trail is going.

Eventually if you want that next cool app to download and install, you'll have to be on the latest version of windows and that will be the subscription version. It will be easy to switch over. Even easier than upgrading from Win7/8 as it won't be a new version, but just needs a EULA box to check and you're on your way to the next new thing lol.

That dreaded word means exactly what I think it means. Even video game companies have been doing this.

The trick here is once you basically locking your Wins 7/8 keys to Windows 10, they'll have you by the ***** and force a subscription on you to get upgrades down the road. Say theres a massive security breach or software bug, pay here to take care of it.

Now I'm very worried and the timing of all of this is funny. They weren't so CLEAR in the beginning and now they're giving us bit by bit.

The term "service" appeared......

I am approaching this logically.
I sure would like to keep my Windows 8 key and keep my Win8 partition just sitting there, just in case. But people would be up in arms over this and while there's no doubt Microsoft is probing ways to do this, this will not happen any time soon.

The bottom line, the most important question that would permanently address the concern is, how long after switching to 10 are allowed to go back to 7/8?
If there is a limit - then yes, what's to prevent Microsoft from introducing subscription just after that limit expires?
But the reality is the people will not go for it... not any time soon. So I think we will be OK for now.

Next decade we may be screwed though.

Well based on what I've read, win10 will be tied to the device it was installed/updated on. That's OEM style. So I'm reluctant to upgrade from a full version 7 to OEM 10. That's not an upgrade. I move from machine to newer machine faster than their OS goes EOL. So I might just keep win 10 insider style. I've got a year to decide. A lot can change in a year.

As long as there are Linux distros or BSD, we're never screwed ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back