• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
both drives are mechanical. im backing up 300gb of my games to a 500gb hard drive. and i dont really see how its going to be any faster really :\

I did the upgrade everything stayed withign 5 minutes of getting home after doing install remotely and doing setup remotely because teamviewer still loaded on boot I had everything going fine been playing Americas army for the last two hours lost 0 data. all my programs still work fine.

July 30, 2015 6:28 pm by Yusuf Mehdi

Windows 10 – The First 24 Hours

It has been an incredible 24 hours for Windows and our fans. We’re humbled and grateful to see the response to Windows 10. We have seen unprecedented demand for Windows 10, with reviews and customer feedback overwhelmingly positive around the globe. We are doing everything we can to upgrade the world to Windows 10 as quickly as possible over the coming days and weeks ahead.

Windows-10-fan-celebration-in-Sydney1-1024x653.jpg

From Sydney to Nairobi to London to New York City, yesterday we celebrated with fans all over the world. We had so much fun seeing your appreciation for Windows 10, we thought we’d share a few of our favorite photos.

We also love seeing the response to #UpgradeYourWorld. Thank you for sharing what you’re doing to #UpgradeYourWorld. Many have already voted for organizations to be our 10th global non-profit partner by tagging their favorite organization and using #vote and #UpgradeYourWorld on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Keep it coming! This is a year-long initiative and we want to do great things – together – all over the world.

We also want to provide an update on the upgrade experience to Windows 10 and ensure people know how to easily get technical support if needed. Read on for more details.

The team has appreciated reading the positive product reviews and seeing the reaction to Windows 10 on social media. When Windows 10 began development, we could only dream of some of these headlines:

CNN: “Windows 10 is Seriously Great”
AOL: “Microsoft Wants Your Help in Changing the World”
Wired: “Before We Go any Further, You Should Upgrade to Windows 10”

Update on Windows 10 Upgrades

As we’ve shared, our top priority has been ensuring that everyone has a great upgrade experience, so, we are carefully rolling out Windows 10 in phases, delivering Windows 10 first to our Windows Insiders. While we now have more than 14 million devices running Windows 10, we still have many more upgrades to go before we catch up to each of you that reserved your upgrade. Rest assured we are working 24×7 to continue the upgrade process and are prioritizing the quality of your upgrade experience over anything else. We are grateful for your excitement and enthusiasm and we appreciate your patience over the days and weeks ahead as we carefully roll out Windows 10 in phases to all of you that have reserved.

If you reserved your upgrade of Windows 10, we will notify you once your PC is ready for Windows 10 and it has been downloaded on your PC. The best way to know your upgrade is ready is to look for this notification in your system tray.

W10_Laptop_AUX_Build_16x9_en-US_070115-01-300x169.png

If you didn’t reserve your upgrade to Windows 10, you can still use the Get Windows 10 app on your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PC to reserve your free upgrade. We’ll notify you when it’s time to upgrade. If you don’t have the Get Windows 10 app on your PC, your device might be missing an update, so run Windows Update and install any available updates. If you still don’t see the Get Windows 10 app on your PC, take a look at this article.

Support Options Available

We care deeply about your upgrade experience with Windows 10. If you need help at any time while you are upgrading to Windows 10, we offer a great set of support options listed below. As a reminder, these options are to help you once you have started or completed your upgrade. If you have questions about how to upgrade, please visit here.

*Our Answer Desk offers one-on-one technical support from Microsoft for you during the upgrade process. You can schedule an appointment or connect immediately with a dedicated expert via chat, phone, or in a retail store to get the personal help you need. The Answer Desk offers up-and running support from real people – to get you off to a great start with Windows 10. Unfortunately, Answer Desk representatives can’t tell you when your upgrade is coming – your upgrade will be seamlessly delivered to you when it is ready, so look for the notification in your system tray. For more information on Answer Desk, go here.

*We’ve also worked closely with retailers, including Best Buy, Bic Camera, Croma, Currys/PC World, Elkjøp, Jarrir, Incredible Connection, Media Markt, Staples, Wal-Mart, Yamada, Yodobashi, and many more leading retailers from around the world on programs to help you upgrade. Tech Bench services offer support for your upgrade to Windows 10 and data migration services can help you move files from old PCs to new PCs.

*Microsoft Stores offer Answer Desk services to assist you with your upgrade. For more information on Microsoft Stores Answer Desk services, go here.

Thank you to everyone who celebrated with us this week, in particular our fans, Windows Insiders, and partners. We appreciate everyone who has upgraded to Windows 10 – and we appreciate everyone who will upgrade in the days and weeks ahead as we make our way toward one billion devices running Windows 10 in the next few years. Windows 10 is the best Windows ever and we are committed to making it better and better with ongoing innovations and security updates.

Thanks,
Yusuf

Updated July 30, 2015 9:44 pm

Source

So, I fixed my driver issues (thanks to the person who posted the link, why doesn't NVidia have it listed in the driver finder on their site?), tweaked a few settings, and tested my software from the previous install out. Everything checks out, but I can feel the slowdown from the upgrade. I'm gonna clean install over the weekend, but for your average end user, the upgrade process is pretty solid compared to previous upgrades I've encountered.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the updates. I work second shift, which means I get home at 12:30AM. I don't want my machine to be in the middle of an update when I get home, everyone is sleeping, and I want to play a game. Is it a good idea to have the machine automatically update without the user being able to control any part of it (except you can control whether or not it automatically restarts after)? To a degree, for most people, I would say yes. I'm not most people, and neither are any of you. I don't agree with MS at all on this, but I will deal with it until it interrupts my schedule or sticks me with a driver update that crashes my system. Because God knows, we needed another reason for a system to crash without warning, and more steps to an already complicated troubleshooting process.

And even if you can't set a time to install you could just fudge your time zone to give yourself a few extra hours. Probably mostly harmless, at least as long gone as you don't have anything time sensitive or location based enabled :)

And even if you can't set a time to install you could just fudge your time zone to give yourself a few extra hours. Probably mostly harmless, at least as long gone as you don't have anything time sensitive or location based enabled :)

Well, that could cause issues with your network. Remember, you need to be within a certain time or your internet can get funky.

you need to be within a certain time or your internet can get funky.
When you change the date/time enough, I know Chrome will get wonky and not work/connect. Not sure about FF/IE. But its the browser that is jacked up, not your internet (but I get what you mean).

When you change the date/time enough, I know Chrome will get wonky and not work/connect. Not sure about FF/IE. But its the browser that is jacked up, not your internet (but I get what you mean).

yeah it starts getting security issues on just about every website in every browser, e.g. when you do a fresh install after resetting the cmos and your time / date are way off and you load up ie to try and download drivers and it keeps saying it doesnt work and ur like wtf m8

Any BF4 players with W10....?

I am having an issue, only in W10, with updating a required plug in with Chrome and IE (FF works). I can DL the plugin, install the plug in, but then when I refresh, or even close and reopen the browser, it asks me to DL and install again. I have flushed cookies/temp int files etc. Even uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome with the same results. Any thoughts on what I am be missing here?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Any BF4 players with W10....?

I am having an issue, only in W10, with updating a required plug in with Chrome and IE (FF works). I can DL the plugin, install the plug in, but then when I refresh, or even close and reopen the browser, it asks me to DL and install again. I have flushed cookies/temp int files etc. Even uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome with the same results. Any thoughts on what I am be missing here?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I was having the same issues in the past. I believe there's a setting that's blogging the plugin from installing.

yeah it starts getting security issues on just about every website in every browser, e.g. when you do a fresh install after resetting the cmos and your time / date are way off and you load up ie to try and download drivers and it keeps saying it doesnt work and ur like wtf m8

! I had a laptop with a broken CMOS mount and learned pretty quickly that I did have to set it @ every boot. Screwed with the updates as well. Workarounds are ghetto but sometimes they can work for your purposes :)

I haven't installed RTM winten yet. Insider ed doesn't count as updates are a requirement. Someone please try this and report back to this thread. That article was written back when there was only insiders running eval copies.

Note for all users that have NVidia Surround in use with Windows 10.
When Surround is enabled, display scaling is automatically set to 150%, this is fixed through the normal method of adjusting scaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back