• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't installed RTM winten yet. Insider ed doesn't count as updates are a requirement. Someone please try this and report back to this thread. That article was written back when there was only insiders running eval copies.

I'll have to try this after work. We don't have any W10 machines here, but i will be part of the test group at work.

The OP of that tutorial has posted that it is still working for them. Others have reported issues, but that might be user error, it's hard to tell.

I think when it comes to things like this, one of us posting actual first hand experience is really the only way to confirm something works.
Too many times, you find out the hard way that things are not what they seem...
Thanks for trying it.

I just rebooted into Windows 10 and tried it.
I reimaged it back to my fresh Windows 10 install which was activated with no updates installed.

wushowhide.diagcab says there are no updates to hide.
This means that this program is about ALREADY INSTALLED updates.

Well that's not what we need. We need to be able to choose what we want to install. Operating System Critical Updates only (for example).
Absolutely no hardware driver updates and not all optional updates either.

That is the goal, which as I understand it, wushowhide.diagcab does not meet.

So whatever the other thing is, I hope the other poster tests it, I'll test it too when I can.
How many times has a Windows Update video card driver update messed with people's systems?
Those updates are not always necessary.

I have a question, one that may already be answered, but I don't have all day to look through this 50 page thread. Does anyone here have Win10 Pro, and is the update options worth a $100 upgrade from Home?

I have a question, one that may already be answered, but I don't have all day to look through this 50 page thread. Does anyone here have Win10 Pro, and is the update options worth a $100 upgrade from Home?
http://liliputing.com/2015/07/differences-between-windows-10-home-pro-enterprise-and-education.html

There are the differences. Determine if its worth it.

Is there a way to block Windows 10 from installing a video card driver update and let you *only* update video card drivers from manufacturer's web site.
I dont recall Windows (ever?) asking me to update my GPU drivers once I had AMD/NVIDIA ones installed. Upon first install it grabs a generic one though. For the iGPU, it would, but that is Intel's own GPU and drivers so that makes sense. Has that changed with W10?

I have WinTen Pro but had the Pro versions of the last few WinOSs. The main feature I got it for was ease of networking. My netbook has Win7 Starter which I'll upgrade but the servers were slammed yesterday. Waiting......

So let's use that example.

Is there a way to block Windows 10 from installing a video card driver update and let you *only* update video card drivers from manufacturer's web site.
Can this link do that?
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...atic-updates-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

When doing my fresh install, I had to use DDU to uninstall the drivers that WU shoved down my throat. I had to remove my motherboard drivers as well. I'm glad WU didn't try to install drivers for my sound card, as I use third party drivers.

That is typical with every OS though (at least W7 and W8), isn't it? It installs basic chipset and vga drivers for things to work upon initial install, then you put yours on from the mobo site (and never updates again).

All I did was install windows 10, had W10 drivers on USB from mobo/gpu website, and installed them. Done.

I've had earlier versions of windows including 7 offer nV driver updates in spite of having the latest WHQL installed, but I was able to hide and ignore those. Don't know about winten yet.

I dont recall Windows (ever?) asking me to update my GPU drivers once I had AMD/NVIDIA ones installed. Has that changed with W10?
EarthDog:

This has happened to me on every OS iteration from Windows 98 to Windows 8, note who the thread starter is:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721236

At any rate, @SteveLord and @EarthDog: You all know who redduc900 is. He discussed this issue in several threads in this section of the forum in the past. If he shares the opinion that Windows Update is not reliable with hardware drivers then I would take another look if that notion has any merit. :shrug:

But for the record: Separately, one of the times when Windows Update driver hosed a system I was working on, it wasn't even an optional choice, it wasn't even listed anywhere other than under a Critical Update section.

I distinctly remember questioning why a video card driver update would be listed there, and especially a bug ridden update capable of hosing systems? The evidence over the years is ample that Windows Update hardware drivers can make your system unusable at the same time when the driver you download directly from a manufacturer site on that same day, would not make your system unusable.

I found this out the hard way over the years. If redduc900 reached that conclusion independently... that should give you cause to take another look. I don't know, maybe it comes down to making a choice between what kind of a hardware driver we are talking about, for example a small adapter vs. a video card... but I'm comfortable with continuing to suggest hardware drivers should *not* be downloaded from Windows Update. :)

This Nvidia driver update package notification is showing up on Windows Update as an Important update for both Vista and Win7, instead of the usual 'Optional' for this type of update. So I did some research, and found that most folks installing this update are receiving a BSOD / incomplete boot upon reboot of the system, of which not even a System Restore is able to resolve.

So you might want to just hide the update through Windows Update (right-click the update, and select 'Hide update'), and instead update your graphics drivers as you normally would... directly through Nvidia (by direct download, or by using the auto-update feature built into the newer Nvidia driver packages). Here's one article I found detailing the update...

Beware of Windows Update - nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2
http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com/2012/11/beware-of-windows-update-nvidia.html

That is typical with every OS though (at least W7 and W8), isn't it? It installs basic chipset and vga drivers for things to work upon initial install, then you put yours on from the mobo site (and never updates again).

All I did was install windows 10, had W10 drivers on USB from mobo/gpu website, and installed them. Done.

Basic chipset stuff I am okay with. WU grabbed an older version of nvidia drivers. In previous os installs, windows had a generic driver that gave you basic functionality, and the you installed the latest. I'm just a little cranky today.

For enthusiasts like us, I can see the problem with that. But for the average user, that is probably a blessing!

This is as big of a deal as Metro was.

I was never upset about Metro because there was no way people would let Mandatory Metro stand. Optional sure, but not mandatory.
Just like Classic Shell resolved the problem of Metro, someone will figure out how to make every version of Windows 10 install CRITICAL OPERATING SYSTEM UPDATES only.
And make the rest of it *optional*. My guess is before the year is out we will have a legitimate program doing that and 200 malware infested variants of that program too, just like we had with Classic Shell.

For the record, these were the only legitimate freeware Classic Shell download sites with installers *never* asking for money:
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=35ddbc2f1b3f019e7a4b375acd348968
Other sites had malware.

Whoever makes that program will gain some fame quickly.

LOL, Mimart... I hear you on the cranky part. For enthusiasts like us, I can see the problem with that. But for the average user, that is probably a blessing!

@ C6 - Good to know they do show up, but isn't it optional after that? Wasn't that a one time thing? As I said, I have never had windows force an update of a GPU or motherboard driver when I had one installed be it important or optional. Then again, I tend to keep them up to date, so maybe it never catches that they are old so it never updates?

The control levers for winten are all there waiting to be found by clever power users and white hat hackers. If MS gets enough criticism (they will), some of these issues will be addressed in the big October update. Remember METRO? I'll install winten when I've found enough controls to satisfy myself it won't be able to bite me in the @$$. Next week maybe...

redduc900 warned people not to allow Windows Update to install hardware driver updates on more occasions than just the one thread I posted above.
For those of you who don't know, redduc900 is probably the most helpful member we've ever had post in the Microsoft Operating Systems forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back