• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my question is ... is it worth it?
If you have a legitimate Windows 7/8 key. And if you can. Keep your Windows 7/8. Disconnect the hard drive with your Windows 7/8 on it.

Get a (small inexpensive) SSD.
Fresh install your old Windows 7/8 then immediately update it to Windows 10.
This will register your system with Microsoft. Now you can continue with using Windows 10 or optionally format then fresh install WIndows 10 which will now activate because your system will be registered with MS from the upgrade you did.

Now dual boot Windows 7/8 and Windows 10 and decide what's better for you without sacrificing anything.

If you have a legitimate Windows 7/8 key. And if you can. Keep your Windows 7/8. Disconnect the hard drive with your Windows 7/8 on it.

Get a (small inexpensive) SSD.
Fresh install your old Windows 7/8 then immediately update it to Windows 10.
This will register your system with Microsoft. Now you can continue with using Windows 10 or optionally format then fresh install WIndows 10 which will now activate because your system will be registered with MS from the upgrade you did.

Now dual boot Windows 7/8 and Windows 10 and decide what's better for you without sacrificing anything.

Even after win7 has been activated, it does check in with the activation servers now and then. Is that going to be an issue? Anyone?

I had my newly installed win7 activated with a Dream Spark edu key for about a week and then it was suddenly deactivated saying the key was not valid. I didn't dicker with MS at that time as I had other keys to use and I was in a hurry. I'm going to try that key again, but this time I'm calling in if there's a problem as I want that key for winten.

Also: Once winten is up and running on your IDed system, how would you port that installation to another PC in the future? I have a full/retail win7 Pro that's supposed to be portable as I upgrade.

Last edited:
If you continuing visiting planet Earth long enough, you'll lose virtually all you privacy. All that will be left is what's between your ears and I'm pretty sure I read something about that is being investigated.

I know that there are five Federal agencies, minimum, that have a dossier on me. Now let's talk about state, county, and local. Hmmmm. Math is hard.

I was in my throne-room a number of years ago, addressing pressing issues from my throne, closed door meeting. Very private. Wham!! The throne-room door pops open, two little 5 year old boys, one my son, are breathlessly, pun intended, asking for my permission to go next door to play. Any remaining fallacies about my personal privacy were gone with the stink. Your turn is coming, just may be a combination different from mine.

Kids walking into their parents bathroom are not even close to the same thing as a government agency snooping with no warrant or a private company hiding EULA terms that let them sift through your data even though you paid them for the product, but blind ignorance is off topic.

Even after win7 has been activated, it does check in with the activation servers now and then. Is that going to be an issue? Anyone?

I had my newly installed win7 activated with a Dream Spark edu key for about a week and then it was suddenly deactivated saying the key was not valid. I didn't dicker with MS at that time as I had other keys to use and I was in a hurry. I'm going to try that key again, but this time I'm calling in if there's a problem as I want that key for winten.

Also: Once winten is up and running on your IDed system, how would you port that installation to another PC in the future? I have a full/retail win7 Pro that's supposed to be portable as I upgrade.

I'd guess a retail copy moving motherboards would be "login with your Microsoft account once then call for activation".

Audioaficionado, I have a store bought Windows 8 Pro Retail.
You must have the Windows 7/8 retail installed - you must upgrade from Windows 7/8 FIRST. From then on you can fresh install Windows 10 on that system.
This procedure should work WITHOUT calling Microsoft.
This procedure should work WITHOUT having a Microsoft account.
Obviously if you change motherboards - you must install Windows 7/8 retail on that motherboard FIRST.

Microsoft has said it will not deactivate our Windows 7/8 retail keys after upgrading to Windows 10. This technically means we can dual boot.
If you can keep your Windows 7 and dual boot it with Windows 10, you can confirm if this is true.

I will use Windows 10 as a Windows Insider but will also upgrade my retail Windows 8 at some point in the next year and will post if this is true myself.

I think you may need to call Microsoft after 1 year passes unless by that time they don't give us a new Windows 10 retail key which will make Windows 7/8 installations unnecessary. Remember: Windows 10 retail IS NOT OUT YET.

Nor is the RETAIL RTM code finished, I suspect.

Another tweak here, this time disabling Quick Access in File Explorer.

- Open File Explorer by holding the Win key and pressing E.
- Go to View.
- Go to Options.
- Change "Open File Explorer to:" from "Quick access" to "This PC".

Now File Explorer will open to your HDD/SSD/etc.

Something we will want to monitor is if any of our custom security/access settings get reset often after updates.

I tried the GP edit for the updates. I checked the updates, but none were available. I'll keep everyone posted to see if it works.

I merged that 'Notify_before_Downloading_and_Installing_Updates' reg file in my insider ed VM. Lets see what happens. As long as I apply the updates eventually, I won't be in violation of the ToS from having the free insider OS.

It seems to have worked. I get notices that I have updates. Don't know if this will stop updates if I don't want them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back