• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Ctrl+F this thread and the word 'year' appeared for the first time today in 'Cuda340's post about the "first" free year.

We seem to be skipping over this like it's no thing... This is more relevant than anything else... Why would most people pay for Windows on yearly basis!?!
...when they can have Windows 8 + Classic Shell until 2023.

I just assumed it was a free upgrade for a year after launch then after that you have to buy it.

I took it as the "Free" offer would be available for one year after the release of Windows 10.......Not pay on a yearly basis.

Edit: Janus beat me to it ;)

Uh oh, now the guy is talking about 'Windows as a service'

here it comes.

Well there you have it...the Windows 10: Briefing has now ended.

Side note: Looks like i'll finally get a replacement for my Lumia 920 later this year.

Phew. That better be it. Had me scared for a moment.

There were really good deals on Windows 8 when it came out. They then disappeared. I would switch to Windows 10 early for this reason.

Just read a story here http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/tech...ve-away-windows-10-as-free-upgrade/ar-AA8rgy9
If they want to upgrade 8.1 , 8 , and 7 users for free , they may have me. The tech preview of 10 seemed to be the replacement for 7 the world was waiting for (or the one I was waiting for anyway). Kind of surprised they added Win 7 in the program. There must be a lot of resistance from 7 users. The next XP. LOL

OK , I just heard the "Windows as a service" portion of the speech. That does not sound encouraging. Nor does it sound specific enough to inspire rebellion. Yet. Certainly bears scrutiny , though. Given the lifespan of XP so far , and my current age , Win 10 as a subscription could make Win 7 my last OS. A less hands-on Linux distro would have a huge opportunity there.

Last edited:
Anybody read the new Terms Of Use ? I haven't had time to sit down and read it thoroughly yet , and I may not for awhile. It reminds me of the first time I read a EULA. https://insider.windows.com/Home/TermsOfUse Nothing surprising as far as I can tell at a glance , but since I got an email from the Windows Insider Program stating the Terms Of Use had changed I thought I should read it. Makes me wish I had listened to my mother and gone to law school.

I Ctrl+F this thread and the word 'year' appeared for the first time today in 'Cuda340's post about the "first" free year.

We seem to be skipping over this like it's no thing... This is more relevant than anything else... Why would most people pay for Windows on yearly basis!?!
...when they can have Windows 8 + Classic Shell until 2023.

This definitely needs clarification. There is no way I am paying for on OS on a yearly basis. Absolutely and unequivocally no way. I'll rock Win 8.1 till hell freezes over.

It appears they will not be - but what a PR disaster in the making this is for Microsoft if Average Joe even gets a hint of this...
As much as Microsoft is secretly hoping to do this one day, they should be announcing this will not happen with Windows 10 loudly and early.

If it got us worked up, imagine what it would do to someone who doesn't care as much about computers.

This definitely needs clarification. There is no way I am paying for on OS on a yearly basis. Absolutely and unequivocally no way. I'll rock Win 8.1 till hell freezes over.

In a press Q/A after the briefing that question was asked and the answer is that they are not changing their pricing model for Windows.

It appears they will not be - but what a PR disaster in the making this is for Microsoft if Average Joe even gets a hint of this...
As much as Microsoft is secretly hoping to do this one day, they should be announcing this will not happen with Windows 10 loudly and early.

If it got us worked up, imagine what it would do to someone who doesn't care as much about computers.

If you read the comments following the article I linked to in #30 , It has already begun. M$ needs to get ahead of this before it snowballs further.

Agreed. The mere fact that it was necessary to ASK that question poses marketing danger for Windows 10, especially on the heels of Windows 8 disappointments...

It's going to be great for us Windows 8 retail owners, free upgrade! What's the latest on ETA of Windows 10 going gold?

Fall of this year was the last I heard. Does this (Win 10) seem like it has been fasttracked , relative to previous iterations? I'm getting a sense of urgency from M$ , the above discussion shows they may be getting ahead of themselves and behind the market. I like Win 10 and what they're doing with it but I'll be impressed if they come out of this with all the accolades they probably deserve. It's been a long time since I found Microsoft interesting. I find myself wishing them well on this.

Even if it's not subscription based, the other wording in their blog release has me worried. Sounds like forced updates, no ownership of the software (I don't care what a invalid EULA says, I paid for the software, I will use it as I want, how I want, for as long as I want), and moving to a forced "cloud" usage (have you noticed how many recent big name applications have moved to the "cloud" recently and going subscription based?).

From what I understand regarding the updates there will be 3 forms of updates/updating.

1) Insiders - get the updates as they are published for testing/etc
2) Normal - Akin to how updates currently work through WU/MU
3) Slow - Enterprise-style with SCCM/WSUS updater managing the updates and when they roll out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back