• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows 10 Free for a Year for Windows 7, Windows 8.x, and Windows Phone 8.1

During today's press event for Windows 10, Microsoft delivered a huge number of announcements. Some small, some large and we'll be covering all of them here on Supersite over the next few days and weeks. We'll announce the new features and also deliver some needed commentary to help you get a better understanding of how Windows 10's advancements will affect you personally.

One of the most sought tidbits of information about Windows 10, though, has been price. Features, after all, are just icing on the cake. So, what will Windows 10 cost?

Terry Myerson, Microsoft's Executive Vice President of Operating Systems, took the stage first today and surprised the crowd by giving an official statement on pricing.

When Windows 10 officially releases, users of Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. That, by itself, is awesome news. But, of course, there's a caveat. Microsoft really, really wants users to install and use the new OS, so the company is putting a deadline on the deal. One year after Windows 10 releases, the new OS will no longer be offered as a free upgrade. Myerson gave no indication of what the upgrade might cost after that.

So, what will it cost? It's free. For a while. After that…

Also, per Myerson...

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.

And, this clearly answers the bigger, lingering question of the day brought on through the confusion of touting Windows 10 as "Windows-as-a-Service." And that is - will Windows now come with a subscription model? The answer is 'no.' Once you choose to upgrade, the OS is yours to keep for the life of the device.

EXTRA: The free upgrade deal for Windows 10 is for consumers only.

Source

Well awesome. I think that we have things confirmed now. There is no reason not to go with Windows 10.

There is no reason not to go with Windows 10.

None that i can think of and i gotta say i'm sooo looking forward to "HoloLens" ($$ aside)

Didn't even know Microsoft was working on such a thing until yesterday but i can't wait to watch it evolve & see where it goes... :cool:

My only wonder now is the 'life of the device' statement. I assume that means if one of us does an upgrade with a new mobo/build then the key will be invalid?

I doubt it.......

Worst case scenario, you'll have to call in just like we currently do.

My only wonder now is the 'life of the device' statement. I assume that means if one of us does an upgrade with a new mobo/build then the key will be invalid?
That's how I interpret it. Like an OEM version is married to the original installation device. I'm also assuming that the 7/8/8.1 key gets invalidated too.

I'm also assuming that the 7/8/8.1 key gets invalidated too.

^This. The inability to roll back should some unforeseen compatibility or user preference come up isn't exactly a positive. An either/or scenario there would be optimal , IMO. I'm so far encouraged by what seem to be the definites , but the unknowns will hold me back from a launch decision for a while longer. Was a new OS always this complicated ? My biggest issue last time was x86 or 64 bit. Staying with XP or moving to Win 7 was a no-brainer. Or I just didn't know enough to make it a tough decision. :-/

I have 10 installed on a laptop , but had to uninstall it from the dual boot desktop because it kept trying to take over both HDDs , including damaging the Win 7 MBR after moving it to the HDD Win 10 was installed on. I had the same issues with the Win 8 Preview on the same desktop. M$ Technical Previews seem to have a dominance issue with previous versions I haven't been able to work around.

Oddly enough , I did just that. I'm honestly not sure if 7 or 10 moved 7's MBR to the other HDD , but it happened after I plugged the 7 HDD back in and within about the same time span as 8 had done the same thing. And that sentence made my head hurt. LOL

I think i will slowly die with WIN 7 like XP as someone said the other day its still being supported till 2025 with up dates etc, WIN 8 has been a major problem to me. :bang head

So i be a dinosaur and live happy my 10c! :D ;) :comp:

Ajay.

"Never look a gift horse in the mouth"

I still don't trust it, as the answers they give are still vague enough to interpret in different ways. With the fiasco that was the XBox One launch, and MS wanting to implement some form of hard DRM to control and lock down its software, I still don't trust them. Especially since they are giving it away.

The free upgrade to 10 is very nice, but at this point, I don't see/feel the need to upgrade to 10.

I may consider it if classic shell can give me back my beloved classic start menu & windows.

Honestly, they are pushing users away from 7 & 8 way to hard IMO.

Microsoft will continue not to let you customize that but the same will apply as with Windows 8:
-No need to upgrade to Win10 but probably a good idea to choose Win10 if installing from scratch
-Classic Shell is still needed to make Start Button/Start Menu look like anything you want it to look like.

There is a convenient Classic Shell backup/restore option that can restore your custom Start Button/Start Menu from Windows 8 to Windows 10 instantly.

What worries me are some drivers. Yes, Win OS has it's own generic drivers, but not all. Wondering if current mobo manufacturer will have Win 10 drivers available when it becomes available. Unless, of course, the 1150 will be dead by then.

If Windows 8 is anything to go buy, native drive support has never been better, not sure if others experienced the same?

So by that token, Windows 10 should continue the trend of native driver support being better than its predecessors. Native driver support was one of the strengths of Windows 8 in my experience.

"At the end of the free one-year window, users who wish to continue using Windows 10 have to pay for a subscription."

FacePalmNo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back