• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How to clean install Windows 10 Technical Preview build 10041

Should anyone be interested...

The good news is that users who want to perform clean install of Windows 10 build 10041 can now install the official ESD files of Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise editions right from Microsoft servers. The downloaded ESD file can then be converted to ISO using third-party tools such as the popular NTLite software.

Instructions: Create a bootable .ISO file using ESD image for Windows 10 Build 10041

Thanks Cuda. It's as simple as can be. W7 users DL ISO, double click on the ISO burn to disk right from W7 no software needed to make the ISO disk.

Can install directly over W7 OS and old files saved to Windows old just like W7 does. Or make a partition (the smarter choice) and install there. Requirement size is about the same as 7, 25 gigs is plenty of space to try the OS for a minute.

Warning. W10 tech preview may encounter some HW issues related to drivers and some programs may need some tweaking for proper installation or running of. Windows compatibility mode may help cure some of the software issues, works just like W7.

Interface is smooth and easy. Locating items in OS or in general files or even on the web made easy in the Search bar next to start button.

NV W7 or W8 drivers work fine. Gaming Hawken Fear and a few other titles is going great. Steam runs fine. All the games I've installed work great.

Note: To overclockers, leave system stock to help diagnose bugs. The W10 os can and will OC pretty good and is stable for it, but when really trying this Tech OS, you really should run stock.

Also about the key logger..... I can't find it, or even a process to have been installed for it. I did research one evening in access of 2 hours and it seems that it's not even on the OS.

MSOneDrive requires MS account log in. I have not logged in because I can't remember my credentials. To be continued......

Plug in android phone, works great. access files and transfer made easy.

Blue screens don't look like blue screens any more. You get a screen saying the PC will be restarting, hold onto your seat. So basically you can't see the mem dump anymore.

Have been using this daily instead of W7. It's a snappy OS and very easy to manage. I recommend people to try it, but also keep in mind, there's going to be quirks along the way just like any tech preview OS does.

Also about the key logger..... I can't find it, or even a process to have been installed for it. I did research one evening in access of 2 hours and it seems that it's not even on the OS.
A keylogger that is able to be detected is a bad logger... a good one is hidden the best way possible and able to reproduce itself countless times as soon as something deleted or detected. Although it can be used for "good" means, in most terms it is considered malware and usually a type of rootkit rooting itself even in kernel stuff or whatelse... even the best virus scanner could be unable to detect it, so dont expect it to be able to find in a wimp of 2h.

A keylogger that is able to be detected is a bad logger... a good one is hidden the best way possible and able to reproduce itself countless times as soon as something deleted or detected. Although it can be used for "good" means, in most terms it is considered malware and usually a type of rootkit rooting itself even in kernel stuff or whatelse... even the best virus scanner could be unable to detect it, so dont expect it to be able to find in a wimp of 2h.

From what I'm to understand is the key logger (if there is one) is on the touch pad only for touch diagnostics. I've yet to enable such feature.

Stop getting to know me.

Stop windows and Cortana from recording your movements and actions.

I think this type of stuff is on your cell phone. W10 also has tablet mode. For desktop installs this defaults to desktop mode.

Attachments

• getting to know me.png
    getting to know me.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 228
Success on the ESD > ISO conversion. Now to install it on a VM. Hopefully the key I got with earlier builds works.

Win 10.iso - Copy.jpg

Hoping someone finds a workaround to install Win10 RTM clean with a retail Windows 8 key!

A few questions to you Beta testers:

• Does Windows 10 allow you to group files or folders on different parts of the screen? In Win 8 you can *only* do this on its Desktop and nowhere else. Windows 8 has no option to turn Auto-Arrange off. Registry edits which force Auto-arrange to be turned off cannot be used because they break other Windows 8 features.

• Have they made any changes to Windows 8 Search Engine, which is more difficult to use than old Windows XP Search Engine, which had a graphic UI?

• Does Windows 10 Explorer status bar show file details which were available in old versions of Windows? The only features left in Status Bar in Windows 8 were the total number of items, items selected and size of selected items (but only up to 99 files).

For clarification:
Status Bar features removed in Windows Vista/7/8:
- Total size of ALL files in a folder on the status bar without selecting them all, then excluding folders
- Tooltip information of single selected file

Status Bar features removed in Windows 7/8:
- Free disk space on any volume at the current location
- Computer zone
- Total size of selected files (not total size of all files, but selected files)

So did they remove even more items in Windows 10?

• When you right click on a web shortcut link, the correct current location of its custom icon is not displayed. But this was problem on every system where Internet Explorer 7 or later is installed, even if you use other web browsers. So this is related to whichever native browser is installed in Windows 10.

Thank you.

Got it running in a VM. Didn't ask for the COA key. Required me to sign in or create a Microsoft account. MYOB MS! I was able to bypass this and finish the installation.

It hasn't asked me for the key at any time during the installation process. I have the key in a text file on the desktop for when it does ask.

So far so good considering it's on a hardware limited VM instead of real hardware.

Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10049 now available

Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10049 now available
March 30, 2015 by Gabe Aul

Hi everyone,

Since the release of build 10041 for PCs we’ve continued to make steady progress, and as I said in the blog post with that one we’re working to bring you builds to the Fast ring faster than before. Builds last week were BIG ones for us as well, since “Project Spartan” was integrated into our flighting branch for the first time. That’s right, this means that today’s release includes the new Project Spartan browser and you’ll get to use it for the first time on PCs as it begins to show up across the Windows 10 device family.

Lots more about this here in Joe’s blog post.

As I mentioned on Friday, we are also working on the next build of Windows 10 for phones and plan to support a bunch of additional phones in the next build for phone as well as some great new features. As always, I’ll share info with you on that as soon as I can.

Build 10049 is about a week newer than 10041, so besides Project Spartan what you’ll see in this build will be mostly small improvements and fixes, as well as a few new known issues.

Here are some issues we fixed in this build

-We’ve fixed the issue from Build 10041 for when the Photos app on your PC crashes when you tap on the circular icon (your camera roll – thanks Rafael) at the top left to view the photo you just took.
-We’ve also fixed the issue from Build 10041 where you might end up in a state where windows open on your desktop are accidentally visible behind the Start Screen, Task View, Snap Assist, and when rearranging windows in Tablet Mode.
-You will no longer get stuck when you manually lock your PC (Windows Key + L) during the initial out-of-box experience.

Here are some known issues for this build

-After logging in, you may see a blue screen instead of your desktop. To work around this issue, lock your PC (with the hardware button or by pressing the Windows Key + L) and try logging in again. You can also try Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
-Indexing of new email in Outlook is not working, so search results will be limited to when the last index was built.
-If you have Virtual Machines hosted in Hyper-V on your PC running Windows 10, you will want to move to the Slow ring and wait for the next build as this build breaks the ability to run VMs.

There are 2 issues using Visual Studio 2015 preview on this build:
-The emulators will not boot and you won’t be able to deploy a Windows Universal app to the Mobile emulator.
-The XAML designer in VS and Blend will crash when opened.
-If you are a developer using these tools today to develop Windows Universal apps and need this functionality to work – we recommend switching to the Slow ring until we release a patch to fix these issues.

This build is pretty much all about Project Spartan, so we hope you enjoy getting your hands on it for the first time. As with all other new features we’ve introduced, we have a ton of work left to do with Spartan so expect to see some bugs and rough edges in this first preview. As always, we look forward to hearing your feedback via the Windows Feedback App.

Note – we won’t publish ISOs for this new build until we push it out to the Slow ring. Today we are only pushing to the Fast ring.

Thanks,
g

I just want to say thank you to 'Cuda340 for updating with latest info.
Please post any new rumors on the RTM date... it's hard to believe that we are only there months away from the latest rumored date...

I haven't even gotten to know it yet lol.

I haven't been able to beat on it much either...

I just want to say thank you to 'Cuda340 for updating with latest info.

:cheers:

I'm sure most of you if viewing this thread are aware you can install & run the tech preview from a (preferably fast) usb stick/flash drive.

For anyone interested/unaware all you need is a copy of the ISO, which you would have needed anyway and a copy of WinToUSB

WinToUSB is a free software that allows you to install and run Windows operating system on a USB hard drive or USB flash drive, using an ISO image or CD/DVD drive as the source of installation. In the newest version you can clone current Windows OS (Windows 7 or later) to a USB drive as a Windows To Go Workspace. WinToUSB also support creating bootable WinPE USB drive, it can help you to transfer the contents of WinPE to the USB drive and make the drive bootable.

WinToUSB's key features include:

--Easy-to-use wizard interface that provides step-by-step instructions for creating Windows To Go USB drive.
--Install Windows/WinPE from an ISO image or CD/DVD drive.
--Clone current Windows OS (Windows 7 or later) as a Windows To Go USB drive.
--Support for Windows 7/8/8.1/10 Technical Preview/2008 R2/2012/2012 R2 and WinPE 2/3/4/5.
--Use any edition of Windows 8/8.1/10 Technical Preview to create Windows To Go USB drive.
--Support for MBR and GPT disk layouts.

Important notes:

--Windows 7/2008 R2 does not have built-in USB 3.0 support, so Windows 7/2008 R2 will have to be booted from a USB 2.0 port.
--The common USB flash drives are very slow. It takes a long time to install and run Windows from a common USB flash drive, highly recommend using a USB hard disk, a Windows To Go Certified Drives or a SanDisk Extreme CZ80 USB 3.0 Flash Drive to create portable Windows.
--Windows To Go drives can be booted on different computers, so you can carry it to anywhere and use it on any computer.
--Windows 7/2008 R2 is not completely portable. You may have activation and driver problems when booting on different computers.
--You need to be an administrator on the computer you are installing the WinToUSB on.

I used Version 2.1 Beta (2015.2.16) and had no issues. :thup:

Redstone: The codename for the next Windows update coming in 2016

Microsoft loves to use codenames and from the past few years, there are two in particular that you may recall; Blue and Threshold. With Windows 10 (Threshold) coming to market sometime this summer, Microsoft is already starting to work on the next update for the OS.

Microsoft has said multiple times that Windows will be moving at a faster cadence than in the past and they are already working on a release for 2016. The codename for the project is 'Redstone', a popular item in the recently acquired game, Minecraft.

At this time, not much is known about Microsoft's plans for Windows vNext, but the company has now entered the planning stages of the update, as confirmed by two internal sources. This shouldn't come as a big surprise as the company is perpetually planning for the next iteration of its software, regardless of the platform.

We will be curious to see if any more codenames pop up using the Minecraft terminology. We have already seen several names from the Halo series spring to life, like the Spartan web browser and of course, Cortana too.

It would seem logical that this will not be a large update for the OS. Seeing that Windows 10 is an overhaul of the entire platform, Redstone will likely be relatively minor in comparison. Until Microsoft clarifies what the post-Windows 10 world looks like for the platform, there are many questions left to be answered.

It is worth pointing out too that Windows Server is expected to be released in 2016, so Redstone could possibly be related to this project as well. It's early days for the this project but as we learn more and solidify what Redstone will become, we will keep you updated.

Source

Mary Jo Foley is reporting that Redstone will be delivered automatically to Windows 10 users as part of the regular update process but that Redstone will be larger than the typical update and will provide new functionality. This update will be the vehicle for core Windows features that will not make the cut in time for Windows 10.

When Redstone does arrive, it will not be called Windows 11 or 13 or anything like that, it will simply be an update for the OS that introduces new functionality sometime in 2016. The timeline is still vague as Microsoft is still piecing together the plans for the schedule.

Through this release period, it is expected that the Insider program will remain intact, allowing you to test the updates before they are released to the general population.

That's about all that is known regarding Redstone, for the time being, but now that the cat is out of the bag, it would not surprise us if we start hearing more about the update in the near future.

Source

Redstone will come in two waves, the first wave is targeted to arrive in June of 2016 and the second wave is scheduled for October of the same year. As we previously reported, these waves will be trialed with Windows Insiders ahead of their release to the general population.

The features in Redstone are still unknown as they relate to the upcoming release of Windows 10; features that get cut from the RTM will be pushed to the Redstone release.

With these release dates still over a year away, they are subject to change and could slip, but they do provide us with a target of when to expect the updates to land on your machine.

If all this talk of Redstone seems a bit crazy since Windows 10 has still not hit RTM yet, it's because most of the features for the OS have been locked down and the company is moving towards a bug-fix only mode. This means that features that will not hit the RTM deadline get pushed to the next wave of release which we now know is Redstone.

What Redstone will include should become more visible sometime this summer once Windows 10 has hit RTM.

This effectively means free updates for several years to come. They really want us all moved to Windows 10 asap...

There was a recent article I read about Microsoft heads even bringing up the idea of going open source, like Linux, to try and penetrate the server OS side more. Nothing definitive at all, but it's an idea they have been tossing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back