• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
skipped the windows 8.1 thing. otherwise, i would have waited anyway. never hurts to take 127 dollar shortcuts. hue.

will let you all know how it goes from here!

and i think that windows 8.1 thing would not be a bad idea either. i can go to walmart tonight and purchase that. i also assume i have to install windows 8.1 first and then upgrade? or can i download the windows 10 ISO straight up and then use the windows 8.1 key?

You will have to install Windows 8.1 then fully update, wait for the "reserve free upgrade" notification, when you reserved it you can then download the tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-download/windows10 and then upgrade your current PC and then download install files for USB/DVD if you wish for a Nuke install.

Only fresh install AFTER you have upgraded and made sure your new windows 10 upgrade is activated (quick check is Windows Key + Pause|Break)

Why? I'm on 10 and it works great. No drive imaging required.

Thiddy, and Nade, both of you need to cool it. :D

AF and C6 are doing an excellent job setting expectations. Everyone should just chill and see where the chips fall. I'm not a fan of privacy violations, and agree, most OS's have been very S L U T T Y. All of us want to be on the next OS and playing around with it there is varying degrees of smoothness, but MS has taken some new stances on privacy and believe all of us should be weary and understand EXACTLY what it means for all of us.

Excitement can at times cause blindness, everyone needs to relax and take it with a grain of salt. This is MS's first time at an all encompassing OS, we should ALL be VERY CAUTIOUS. :thup:

AF and C6 are doing an excellent job setting expectations. Everyone should just chill and see where the chips fall. I'm not a fan of privacy violations, and agree, most OS's have been very S L U T T Y. All of us want to be on the next OS and playing around with it there is varying degrees of smoothness, but MS has taken some new stances on privacy and believe all of us should be weary and understand EXACTLY what it means for all of us.

Excitement can at times cause blindness, everyone needs to relax and take it with a grain of salt. This is MS's first time at an all encompassing OS, we should ALL be VERY CAUTIOUS. :thup:
There is no excitement causing blindness. The system is a host for my work virtual machine, so I am extremely critical of the functionality, and it has done great. I get tired of reading the insane criticism in this thread, though.

There is no excitement causing blindness. The system is a host for my work virtual machine, so I am extremely critical of the functionality, and it has done great. I get tired of reading the insane criticism in this thread, though.

Insane criticism? I do not see that at all. I see a community looking for answers without ambiguity.

Insane criticism? I do not see that at all. I see a community looking for answers without ambiguity.
Are we reading the same thread? The version numbers? Reading information on an existing install? Sharing wireless? Wanting Microsoft to lose a lot of money because "its a bad OS" with no back up?

It was the same thing with Windows 8.1, which is a great OS. People just parrot information without knowing what is actually going on or without trying it themselves. It happens literally every time a new OS comes out and it is dumb.

Are we reading the same thread? The version numbers? Reading information on an existing install? Sharing wireless? Wanting Microsoft to lose a lot of money because "its a bad OS" with no back up?

It was the same thing with Windows 8.1, which is a great OS. People just parrot information without knowing what is actually going on. It happens literally every time a new OS comes out and it is dumb.

I guess we are not reading the same thread.

Thiddy, you are a bit emotional. :D I am not discounting the OS as a stable, legitimate operating system and believe most would agree with you. HOWEVER, I am on C6/AF's side of caution and believe we ALL should be on that bus/train/transportation mechanism. There is a lot we DO NOT know about this OS, although it may be the next best thing to sliced bread (who came up with that expression anyway), BUT we should still be vigilant in our beliefs and know MOST companies DO NOT have the consumers best interest. It is in THEIR best interest to be ahead of the curve, it does not surprise me the default action of contact sharing, but it certainly is a privacy issue and ALL of us should be privy to that information and should not just accept it, because this OS is "smooth" or shows no sign of "issues".

Just my 6 cents.

OH MY GOD IT SHARES MY WIFI PASSWORD WITH FRIENDS, LIKE I SAID BEFORE I DONT CARE HOP ON MY WIFI IF UR MY FRIEND DO IT PLEASE FROM LIKE 10 STATES AWWAY

Caution is fine, but that should not devolve into conspiracy theories, as it serves no one. I'm happy to be an early adopter on 2/3 of my machines and report my findings as they arise. So, if you have anything you want me to test or verify, ask away! Let us keep this objective, please. :)

Caution is fine, but that should not devolve into conspiracy theories, as it serves no one. I'm happy to be an early adopter on 2/3 of my machines and report my findings as they arise. So, if you have anything you want me to test or verify, ask away! Let us keep this objective, please. :)

Objectiveness is key brother. Be vigilant. Challenge the norm. :thup:

although it may be the next best thing to sliced bread (who came up with that expression anyway),

That would be a rough English translation of Slidz Bred, an old guy in Texas with a German background who was simply Best. Everything else is the next best thing to him.

my wifi password is 042df295c7 everyone in the world have it they cant do anything with it. at all. literally. nsa get on it plz I bet you don't have any better fish to fry than a guy that might be pirating a show or 3.

Don't forget to put a note up for them on your front door telling them it's unlocked and please don't break it down :rofl:

If you do one copy at a time, you won't be thrashing the hard drives as much and it will be faster overall (assuming at least one of the drives is mechanical).

both drives are mechanical. im backing up 300gb of my games to a 500gb hard drive. and i dont really see how its going to be any faster really :\

Heh, I will let this initial hullabaloo die down and try again in a couple weeks. Its not like it is holding me back from any functionality...

... though the transparent 'activate windows' notification does seem to be visible through everything on my desktop. At least it is not in games!

I used the download helper and created both iso and usb installers. Haven't tried them out yet. Didn't have to wait. They should be x64 system neutral.

For those of you who like dark themes, this will change your apps to a dark color scheme:
1) Go to Registry Editor
2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes
3) Create Key called "Personalize"
4) Create DWORD called "AppsUseLightTheme" and set to 0 value.
5) Repeat in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize
6) Reboot

Here's my Settings app after the change:
2015-07-30 23_38_35-Program Manager.jpg

Here's my Store app after the change:
2015-07-30 23_39_20-Program Manager.jpg

If you continuing visiting planet Earth long enough, you'll lose virtually all you privacy. All that will be left is what's between your ears and I'm pretty sure I read something about that is being investigated.

I know that there are five Federal agencies, minimum, that have a dossier on me. Now let's talk about state, county, and local. Hmmmm. Math is hard.

I was in my throne-room a number of years ago, addressing pressing issues from my throne, closed door meeting. Very private. Wham!! The throne-room door pops open, two little 5 year old boys, one my son, are breathlessly, pun intended, asking for my permission to go next door to play. Any remaining fallacies about my personal privacy were gone with the stink. Your turn is coming, just may be a combination different from mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back