• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
Windows-10-Invite.jpg

Join us to hear about the next chapter of Windows 10
December 11, 2014 by Brandon LeBlanc

On Wednesday, January 21st – we will be holding an event here on Microsoft’s Redmond campus where we will talk about the next chapter of Windows 10. You’ll hear directly from senior leaders from the Operating Systems Group including Terry Myerson, Joe Belfiore and Phil Spencer who will talk about the Windows 10 consumer experience – continuing the story we began in September. You’ll also hear from our CEO Satya Nadella as well. We’re going to live webcast the event so mark your calendars! As we get closer to the event in January, watch for another blog post from me on where to tune-in and watch the live webcast. As you can imagine, we’re pretty stoked to show you what’s next for Windows 10!

Source

You do know MS put a keylogger in the tech preview right?
Thats why I wont touch it

That's mentioned in the Technical Preview's privacy statements.

Lifehacker said:
many sites reporting on this fail to mention a few very important points:

This is not only unsurprising, this is the entire point of the Technical Preview. The Technical Preview exists for Microsoft to study how people use the system, gather feedback, and improve the product before it releases it to consumers. And it states this on the download page.
This is not a feature of Windows 10—this exists only for the Technical Preview and will be removed from the final version of Windows 10.
As we've already said, you should not be using the Technical Preview for anything even remotely sensitive—you should only be using it to get a peek at what's coming in Windows, and give feedback to Microsoft. Not only are they collecting diagnostics, but Windows 10 can be buggy, crash-prone, and insecure.
Some of these features, like speech-to-text, will always need to send your data back to Microsoft. OS X, iOS, and Android all include this feature, for example.

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10s-keylogger-fiasco-has-been-blown-out-of-pr-1642931793

Of course it will be removed, who would pay for a keylogger infected OS?

Reason they are doing it now is a dual edge sword, they could get stats anonomously without keylogger.

I hope it didn't record the windows login password field... I mis-typed with my admin password several times :-/

Is there anyway I can download and install the preview on my machine below without having to remove or revert back to Windows 7 like is there a free version of Virtual Machine or similar so I can run under a virtual environment?? I really am keen to test the preview as I a lot of friends have been asking me would it be good.

Is there anyway I can download and install the preview on my machine below without having to remove or revert back to Windows 7 like is there a free version of Virtual Machine or similar so I can run under a virtual environment?? I really am keen to test the preview as I a lot of friends have been asking me would it be good.

Yes you can, get VMware Player, get it here, https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/7_0

I'm not sure the new version of WTP, has been released to the public, yet.

I certainly hope W10 includes the option to to provide a true uncompromised W7 desktop. The W7 desktop is clean, effeicient, intuituive, has a really useful start button, and does not have those incredibly annoying and really silly colored squares cluttereing it up. I think MS did an outstanding job evolving the W7 desktop into the excellent user interface it really is so it is beyond me why they would fix and then break something that was not broken to start with.

I recently bought two Surface Pro 3's for my wife and myself. I did not return mine only because Classic Shell fixes most of the problems. My wife will not use Classic Shell and I refuse to help her with it when she has a problem. I just get too annoyed trying to do things that were previously so simple with the Start Button.

I think W7 will be what WXP was to most of us. Recently I had to troubleshoot problems with my wife's computer. Through the process I had to relearn a lot of how W8 functions. I had to replace her Hard drive with an SSD upgrade and immediately installed W8.1 which is a step up.

I have also tried out W10 and it is very similar to 8.1. I can't see where someone who is using W8 would pay for the upgrade.

Rumors are still out, but W10 upgrade and future Windows will be free.

I will probably upgrade to 10 depending on the price just for DX12. Also I hear it does better with resources. Anymore its hard to tell when to upgrade because of driver support not keeping up with OS's and Software. Between Windows, Linux, OSX and Android there are too many versions.

"Incoherent thoughts and images... nothing more." - Viktor

Last edited:
One week to go.......Should be some interesting info released.

Edit:

Live webcast details for our Windows 10 media briefing next week
January 14, 2015 by Brandon LeBlanc

We’re getting close to our Windows 10 media briefing next week and as promised – I’ve got the details for you on where to watch the live webcast. The live webcast will start once the event starts at 9am (Pacific) and you’ll be able to watch it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows10story. An on-demand version will be available shortly after the event at the same link. We’re pretty excited about this event and to be able to talk about what’s next for Windows 10. You’ll hear directly from senior leaders from the Operating Systems Group including Terry Myerson, Joe Belfiore and Phil Spencer as well as our CEO Satya Nadella!

Source

Last edited:
Free - Windows 10

Windows 10 to be free for the first year after release to users running:

Windows 7
Windows 8.1
Windows Phone 8.1

More info to follow........ie Will this apply to those running oem copies ???

Very nice.

I tried watching but my 50mb connection apparently wasn't able to handle their stream with all of the buffering. That and the first presenter was super awkward.

I'm watching the guy showing the mobile stuff and Spartan (browser). Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Windows 10 to be free for the first year after release to users running:

Windows 7
Windows 8.1
Windows Phone 8.1

More info to follow........ie Will this apply to those running oem copies ???

Oh that is so awesome. That is such great news. I bought a retail copy of Windows 8 at Office Max when they had the first week promos, that was a good decision.
So how certain is this, what is the source?

They are really trying to move people away from old Windows versions, aren't they?

What does the last part mean 'for the first year' - they're not aiming to charge people per year now are they? Surely not.

So how certain is this, what is the source?

The live webcast will start once the event starts at 9am (Pacific) and you’ll be able to watch it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows10story.

What does the last part mean 'for the first year' - they're not aiming to charge people per year now are they? Surely not.

More than likely.....Can't say i blame them. I think free for a year is more than fair. :shrug:

Okay, so Xbox One to Windows 10 device streaming will be working later this year.

Windows Holographic was shown -- their Oculus competitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back