• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are reports that Microsoft is actively working with CyanogenMod crew to get Windows 10 to install on Android devices.

Unless they include the CM feature of allowing me to deny any permission for any application, who cares if they're working with CM?

I seriously doubt it will happen any time soon, but rebooting from Android into Windows 10, then back into Android on a modern phone... that would be the holy grail... no need to give up anything or choose one over the other... no need to argue which is better.

Here's a useful tip, if anyone else has kept their old Favorites bookmark folder, I've kept mine since Windows 95 to today's Windows 10, you can use this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zapek.android.stuntzurl
to tap on your Windows internet shortcut on your phone and launch any bookmark link to open in your mobile browser (they can each have their own icon as a bonus).

(That app has just been updated and has not been working since the old Android days, I accidentally found out the other day the author finally made it working with modern Android versions.)

And back on Windows, you can have one "physical" location your Favorites bookmarks and have them show up in Firefox in an identical unified Favorites folder which is valid for both Windows Internet Explorer and Firefox, making any synchronization between the two unnecessary:
http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/

I seriously doubt it will happen any time soon, but rebooting from Android into Windows 10, then back into Android on a modern phone... that would be the holy grail... no need to give up anything or choose one over the other... no need to argue which is better.

Here's a useful tip, if anyone else has kept their old Favorites bookmark folder, I've kept mine since Windows 95 to today's Windows 10, you can use this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zapek.android.stuntzurl
to tap on your Windows internet shortcut on your phone and launch any bookmark link to open in your mobile browser (they can each have their own icon as a bonus).

(That app has just been updated and has not been working since the old Android days, I accidentally found out the other day the author finally made it working with modern Android versions.)

And back on Windows, you can have one "physical" location your Favorites bookmarks and have them show up in Firefox in an identical unified Favorites folder which is valid for both Windows Internet Explorer and Firefox, making any synchronization between the two unnecessary:
http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/

Or just use the free version of XMarks, and create a launcher shortcut to your XMarks user profile on your phone (or spend the $12/year for the dedicated app and/or Dolphin HD plugin). Same effect without fiddling with any "Favorites" files, and even works across as many browsers as you might use, and even multiple computers.

Last edited:
Or chrome, that does it all automatically no matter if it is mobile or computer

I was talking about URL link files. You cannot open those on Android. So if you have your files on an SD card - you cannot launch url links. I posted a solution how you could open Windows URL link files, individual files found in Windows Favorites physical folder or created under Windows.

Separate from that, Favorites folder in Windows has historically contained other files too, not just bookmarks. So the other Firefox add-on gives you direct access to the Windows Favorites folder, which Microsoft has used for both bookmarks and other files historically.

The big picture is how great it would be to have a DUAL boot which would include Windows 10 on your phone. The bigger picture for Microsoft may have been how *that* and paying all major developers to port Android apps to Windows - rather than paying seven billion dollars for Nokia acquisition - may have resulted in more people using Windows 10 on their phones in 2015...

Separate from that, Favorites folder in Windows has historically contained other files too, not just bookmarks. So the other Firefox add-on gives you direct access the Windows Favorites folder, which Microsoft has used for both bookmarks and other files historically.

Such as? I've used every version of Windows except NT 4, and I've never seen anything but URL shortcuts in Favorites. Of course, it's just a directory, and you can put whatever you want in there, just as you can put whatever HTML you want into Firefox's bookmarks.html. That doesn't equate to Microsoft or Firefox using them for other purposes, though.

If you're using it to store other files, I can hit a nail with a screwdriver, too, but I'd rather just install SpiderOak on all my devices for file syncing.

That's fine we can limit the conversation to Windows operating system url links only.

If people are younger, they were exposed to Firefox and Chrome but before then all bookmark url links were kept in the "physical" Windows Favorites directory.
If you are older, quite a bit of links were accumulated in the Favorites folder.

I do not use Internet Explorer on regular bases at home but have first hand experience about how exporting Favorites to both Firefox and Chrome can fail spectacularly.
Organized Favorites folders and subfolders are being imported into both Firefox and Chrome as incomplete... and you find out the hard way that you are missing links.

Allowing direct access from those browsers to Favorites without any importing/exporting makes the Windows operating system Favorites folder universal on all operating systems on a multi-boot and all individual browsers on each operating system on the multi-boot.

Making any porting problems non-existent, as pictured:

FavoritesIE.png FavoritesFirefox.png

I am talking about a single machine use but that example wraps up into a big picture of how useful it would be to have a dual boot with Windows 10 on your phone.
There would be no need to worry about a small million of compatibility issues. You reboot into whichever OS you want - making any discussions about 'what's better' unnecessary and more importantly removing all compatibility headaches instantly.

Last edited:
If people are younger, they were exposed to Firefox and Chrome but before then all bookmark url links were kept in the "physical" Windows Favorites directory.
If you are older, quite a bit of links were accumulated in the Favorites folder.

False. IE is the only browser that ever used "Favorites" natively, and that didn't start until Windows 98 with IE 5. Every other browser has used a derivative of "bookmarks.html", which existed way back with Mosaic and Netscape 1.0 back when you had to type "win" at the DOS prompt to start up Program Manager. Even Internet Explorer 3.0 used a similar "favorites.htm" file. Only 4.0 started using .url shortcut files, and those were still stored in "profile" directories inside the IE install directory.

Winten mobile is the only toy people can still DL and play with. Winten PC has been locked for over a week. No new PCs allowed into the insider program until after the launch. So the mobile OS is the only game right now.

I don't know if this question have been ask but am i gonna get the Window 10 product key one it install on my pc on July 29.
I knoiw it a silly question but i have to ask :)
I like ti do a re install of Window every year or so to keep thing clean and fresh and if i don't have the product key, i can"t do a re install.

Yes, although you likely won't get it on the 29th due to bandwidth isssues/planned rollout by Microsoft (fwiw).

But yeah, the product key and/or your Microsoft account can be used to authenticate the activation I imagine

If you have a legitimate Windows 7/8 key, you will use that key to transfer your ownership of Windows 7/8 to Windows 10.
We will see how and when the process will take place starting Wednesday.
You may have to wait to download your copy, depending on how busy their servers are starting July 29.

If I may suggest.
Partition your hard drive.
Install your operating system on a relatively small partition.
Install large programs and games on another partition and keep no personal files or documents on your OS partition.

Set everything up the way you like it to be.

Make a drive image of the OS partition. http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

It will then take as little as five minutes to reimage that partition back to the state it was in, when you set up everything up like you want it to be.

July 26, 2015 11:18 am by The Windows Team

A look at the great built-in apps in Windows 10

We’re three days to our Windows 10 launch! Today, we’re sharing more about the great Windows 10 built-in apps like Photos, Maps, Mail and Calendar, Groove, and Movies & TV*. This family of apps shares an elegant look and feel and work consistently across all your Windows 10 devices.

Photos

Put your best photos forward with Windows 10. The new Photos app makes sense of your growing collection of photos, getting them organized and easy to navigate. You can sort your collections of photos by date for fast access.

W10_Laptop_Photos_16x9_en-US-1024x576.png

The app will create albums of your life events, showcasing your best shots to help you tell a great story. With one click of a button you can count on auto-enhance to do expert touch-ups on the photos you take and keep on your Windows 10 device, and rest easy knowing that every photo is safely backed up with a full-resolution copy in your OneDrive online storage**. Once your photo has been edited to your liking you can easily share it via email with your friends and family, even set the photo as your lock screen or as your desktop background.

Maps

Maps on Windows 10 helps you navigate your world with the information that matters most to you. It’s a new application that works great on all screen sizes, and combines the best of Bing Maps and HERE Maps. Pin your favorite locations to your Start menu for quick and easy access, or add them to your list of favorites – and Maps on Windows will sync them across your all your Windows devices.

Maps-in-Windows-10-1024x632.png

The share option allows you to share a specific location with a friend via email or to your OneNote. With the app you get up-to-the-minute traffic information, rich local search results, and robust public transportation options, with new features included like guided turn-by-turn navigation that works even when you’re offline. We’ve also added the Me Tile so you can find your way back home from everywhere. Discover the world in breathtaking hi-fidelity aerial and street-side views, with Maps in Windows 10.

Groove, Movies & TV

Enjoying music and videos is simple, fast and elegant on Windows 10. With Groove you can listen to your favorite songs and artists, make your own playlists, and keep up with all the latest hits. It’s easy to discover new music with radio—custom stations based on artists you love. For ad-free access to millions of tracks with one of the largest music catalogs on the planet***, sign up for a Groove Music Pass. Groove is easy to use, portable and personal, with it you get all the music you love, everywhere you want it. With the Movies & TV app, you can browse and play through your own video collection, or kick back to the hottest movies & TV shows in HD. You can import your personal video collection, and play back your content in a fast, elegantly designed app that is optimized for both mouse/keyboard and touch. Browse the Windows Store to rent or purchase from a huge collection of entertainment content, from weekly new releases on movies to TV shows a day after they air. You’ll also find deals, discounts and personalized recommendations just for you right from within the Windows Store. On Windows 10 devices, Xbox and the web, the Movies & TV app lets you start watching a purchased or rented movie on one device and pick up where you left off on another.

Mail & Calendar

The built-in Mail and Calendar apps get even better in Windows 10. Crafting emails has never been easier or more powerful, with the familiar and rich capability of Microsoft Word built into the authoring experience.

W10_Laptop_Mail_16x9_en-US-1024x576.png

Simply insert tables, add pictures, use bullets and color to get your points across. Keep up with your inbox with new touch gestures**** that help you read, sort, and archive your mail. The new navigation bar is quick and convenient, allowing you to move freely between your email and your calendar, making it easy to get things done.

W10_Laptop_Calendar_16x9_en-US-1024x576.png

Manage multiple calendar accounts with the Calendar app and view your week’s schedule, or look out further in the month view to manage your appointments and know what you have coming up.

You get an experience that’s instantly recognizable with all the great built-in apps in Windows 10. Stay tuned for tomorrow’s post where we’ll be sharing another awesome Windows 10 feature!

*App and content availability and experience may vary by market; some content sold separately.
**Applies to photos taken with and locally stored on a Windows 10 device.
***Groove Music Pass is sold separately and available in select markets. Catalog size and availability varies by market.
****Hardware dependent.

Source

The big picture is how great it would be to have a DUAL boot which would include Windows 10 on your phone. The bigger picture for Microsoft may have been how *that* and paying all major developers to port Android apps to Windows - rather than paying seven billion dollars for Nokia acquisition - may have resulted in more people using Windows 10 on their phones in 2015...
I would have to strongly disagree.

Like with PC's, but even more so, people are not/dont want to 'dual boot' their phones. The LOE, though perhaps not hard for many of us here, to do so is just too great for the public to do it on their own. And on the M$ side, they have to go through the vetting of all the phones and dual booting, and automation of the process (if they want saturation), and....... yeah, its just not feasible for 99% of phone users to do that. Think about it a second from outside of your shoes and put yourself in the majority's shoes.

And how much additional storage that would be required on phones to be able to support that.

Not only that, if you've ever played around with Android and the multitude of Android variants, you would know that many require a specific drive layout (partition setup), permissions, etc, in order for them to work properly, AND many are customized hardware driver wise, to work with a specific model of phone. There is no one OS fits all. It takes alot of work just to get a OS to work on a specific phone, which is why there are very few phones (I talking about maybe enough to count on one hand) that has more then one OS available for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back