• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
YES!

I agree with that and hope that we will find a way to block updates on all Windows 10 versions... so we can control *when* they are run.

It's absolutely crazy to make updates mandatory, they can make it *very* difficult to turn updates off through registry circus acts and similar but this will definitely contribute to people sticking with Windows 7/8 Home versions. If I were a betting man, I would bet that we will have a program which will block updates before the year is out though so we'll see... ;)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Attachments

• NoUpdates!.png
    NoUpdates!.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 102
Continuum on Windows 10

July 27, 2015 11:41 am by The Windows Team

Continuum on Windows 10

As we continue the countdown to our Windows 10 launch, we’re excited to talk about Continuum. Windows 10 combines the best of Windows 7 with the best of Windows 8 and Continuum is a great example of that; with Continuum you can use a keyboard and mouse when you choose, or you can optimize your screen for a great touch experience—it is up to you.

Continuum on your desktop

Windows 10 adjusts your experience for your activity, device and display, so you can do your thing in any mode anytime you want. Onscreen features, like menus and taskbars, adapt for easy navigation. Apps are built to scale smoothly from screen to screen so they look good from the smallest app window up to the largest 8k displays*. You can even change from desktop to tablet mode anytime you want – your screen will give you a smooth transition and a beautiful display. Available exclusively on Windows, Continuum is designed to ensure that the best screen is always the one you’re on.

We have one more post left in our Windows 10 feature series! Check back tomorrow to see what we’re talking about next.

*App experiences may vary.

Updated July 27, 2015 12:11 pm

Source

Users may have started to receive the files in advance of the push. You can check to see if you have this folder $windows.~BT folder. You will need to show all hidden files and folders.

Other than the obvious progression of current setups with auto-downloaded updates that will go on forever, what about option B,
how and when will insiders be able to nuke their current partition and reinstall from an ISO from scratch, will insiders be emailed new keys to go along with any official insider RTM ISO downloads?

Have yet to see anything about how they are going to handle keys etc

I would bet ISO will be available at some point in the next couple days...

Have yet to see anything about how they are going to handle keys etc

I would bet ISO will be available at some point in the next couple days...

MS will make .iso's available, soon. I'm not sure if they will be available that same day. My feeling is that they won't immediately be available, because their servers will be pounded by demand.

From what i have heard, activation will be tied to your HWID (Hardware ID). i don't think you will need to enter a key to do a full install once the .iso becomes available. I have no idea how MS will handle things like hardware failure, in the event of a motherboard replacement.

I have no idea how MS will handle things like hardware failure, in the event of a motherboard replacement.

My understanding is if Windows 10 was an upgrade you'd be out a license....

----------

FYI....Word is Dell will start shipping Windows 10 based systems today with free next-business-day shipping.

Apparently in some locations the update process has begun...

I'm sure we'll start to hear the good, bad or ugly soon enough. :sly:

---------

Another promo vid from microsoft

Published on Jul 28, 2015

What happens when you combine one of the world’s hottest conceptual visual artists (Bradley G. Munkowitz aka GMUNK) with the amazing music duo Odesza, and throw in some blasting lasers, smoke machines and falling crystal dust? Turn up your speakers and watch. Created at Microsoft by Swodniw.

----------

FYI....Word is Dell will start shipping Windows 10 based systems today with free next-business-day shipping.

Haven't read the whole thread sorry, but from this statement I take it that as of now the consensus is that an OS that is upgraded will be lost? Meaning that if I upgraded from win7 to win10 I can't go back to win7 with that same key?

Well that's very comforting to know. My guess is, you end up throwing out your previous Win 7/8 key in the process as well. I thought hardware ID was only for OEM copies of windows and not on full retail ones.

Microsoft will save your old Windows directory and Windows 10 will not delete it for one month.
"You will have one month to revert back to the old OS on your device." Microsoft says.

Once again, it's mind boggling that neither Microsoft nor any of the many articles out there on this topic clearly state the answer to the most obvious follow up questions:

1. What happens if you want to go back after 30 days?
2. What happens if you clean install and want to go back?

Microsoft will save your old Windows directory and Windows 10 will not delete it for one month.
"You will have one month to revert back to the old OS on your device." Microsoft says.

Once again, it's mind boggling that neither Microsoft nor any of the many articles out there on this topic clearly state the answer to the most obvious follow up questions:

1. What happens if you want to go back after 30 days?

Thank you for the answers. My next question is, will this happen only within the 1 year free period or is this anytime after that?

Sounds like I'll be buying a copy of windows 10 then, if that's the route they are going. I want to be able to use my windows 7/8 keys in the future.

One year from tomorrow, Windows 10 will no longer be a free upgrade from Windows 7/8.
Therefore your Windows 7/8 keys can only be transferred to Windows 10 keys for the next 1 year, starting tomorrow.

My guess is that being M$ they will kill your ability to register with the same key after the revert. I have a particularly pessimistic view of M$ though. I have never gotten an upgraded version before (win7 home - > pro) but perhaps someone who has can tell us how they handle a revert at that level? I would think it would be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back