• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Review

When Windows 8 was launched back in 2012, I called it the 'hybrid OS' because Microsoft built essentially two operating systems packaged into one bundle. The OS was a complete failure on nearly all fronts for the company and resulted in a change of leadership that has now completed the first release of their vision of the future operating system. The OS, called Windows 10, has been in development for a couple of years and with an open public beta, it truly is the platform that was built by Redmond and shaped by consumers.

Windows 10 is unique and while it may look like the desktop you grew up with, it is far more flexible than anything Microsoft has ever built; it's an OS that runs on everything, from your desktop to a phone and even the Xbox One. When Microsoft says that they are now using one OS on all of their devices, they mean it. The core of the OS is now a nimble gazelle that can be applied to any type of modern computing device and the benefits of this are profound for not only the consumer, but Microsoft as well.

What Microsoft has done with this OS is removed all the things consumers disliked about Windows 8, repackaged the good features with new mechanics, added a significant number of new features, revamped the UI, sprinkled on a bit of Windows 7 and then piloted this OS with consumers through the Insider program that has surpassed five million users. The result of this work is Windows 10, a brand new OS that feels like yesterday but operates like tomorrow.

If interested read more @ Neowin

I'm seeing their PR is complete BS. The whole what can you do for the rest of the world, global initiative PR feels like "Emperor O" is at the helm of M$. Sorry to get political. Rant end...lol

..but perhaps someone who has can tell us how they handle a revert at that level? I would think it would be similar.

It's hard to say, when Microsoft themselves have conflicting answers to basic questions, but the best reversion technique was mentioned by c6 in an earlier thread. Either create additional partitions, add more hard disks, or take images of your OS PRIOR to doing any type of upgrading. Oh and dont forget to unplug your RJ45. :D

I am sure there will be guides soon, less than 24 hours now (he he) explaining how to beat all the new non-sense. It must be nice to make up rules on the fly without regard to impact.

Microsoft would call this "innovation" or "moving forward" lol.

July 28, 2015 10:10 am by The Windows Team

Do one-stop shopping with the new Windows Store

We’re wrapping up our series of blog posts on awesome Windows 10 features by talking about the new Store in Windows 10, the largest Microsoft-certified, one-stop shopping experience for free and paid digital content for all your Windows devices. Find your favorites fast; the new Store has popular free and paid apps, games, movies, TV shows and the latest music all in one place*.

Get apps that work with unique Windows 10 features so you can get more done, faster. For instance, use Cortana,** your virtual assistant, to control apps with your voice*** and get real-time notifications right on the app tile. Acquire content with ease using your preferred payment method including paying with your phone bill****. And have confidence that everything you download from the Store is certified by Microsoft to help keep your devices safer with automatic updates to ensure your apps are always current.

W10_Laptop_Store_16x9_en-US-1-1024x576.png

The Windows 10 launch is just about here, we’re excited to make Windows 10 available, across 190 countries, as a free upgrade***** or with new PCs and tablets!

*Feature, app and content availability and experience may vary by region and device.
**Cortana available in select markets at launch; experience may vary by region and device.
***Hardware dependent
****Through participating mobile service carriers.
*****Limited offer. Details available at Windows.com.

Updated July 28, 2015 10:26 am

Source

The history of MS OSs is littered with the good, bad, and ugly. And they've been a very inviting target for all the second-guessers, myself included.

With WinTen we're getting a look at Nadella's seemingly first impact on the OS, maybe a few reminders of the Balmer touch, even Gates; old habits die hard. It will be interesting to me to see the initial few updates, over the next few years. More new habit-makers are bound to influence some interesting bits of logic in upcoming hardware/software cycles. And the rapidity of hardware advances is demanding a more rapid response from the software side. We're living some very interesting history.

Dumb question... Upon this upgrade, does my W7 have to be activated? Meaning, I have a legit W7 key, but due to waiting and some hardware changes, I have not bothered to activate my key. Do I need to get my current W7 install activated before I jump to W10?

And the rapidity of hardware advances is demanding a more rapid response from the software side. We're living some very interesting history.
Indeed! Though we have been living this 'software please catch up to hardware' phase for quite a while now, several years honestly. THere is a reason why CPUs several generations back are still plenty serviceable in a number of tasks.

If I'm not mistaken, other than OS's, there isn't a dearth of 64-bit software to take advantage of the chipset nor the OS. Also, IIRC, didn't DEC write a 128-bit addressing kernal at one time? Correctly, the code-clankers will always have some catching up to do.

I haven't been able to find anything real conclusive as to what types of "under the hood" improvements have been made. In fact one thread I had read on the MS forums seemed to to say that the only reason for the change was the universal kernel, and went on to say that all other improvements were superficial/re-skinning. Can anyone confirm or deny? My Techer-ese doesn't extend to such things ( I don't know much about "under the hood" beyond the theory of internal combustion).

Also does it seem to anyone else that this release is aimed at creating a linux/android competitive product ? Beyond praise for Cortana and Edge, about the only thing they had to say was "it's universal!" the obvious aim is the mobile market and the synch capabilities trumpeted by the competition. If so they might just fill a void between Apple exclusive tech ( that is too expensive for large scale use in vehicles and too exclusive for use by any other company) and Android's "too many faces/no unified source) approach. I hope that the desktop doesn't get left in the dust of a mobile/universal endeavor

Its obvious whats happening here is the same thing that happened with PC gaming and consoles but again its hard to say because if it wasn't for enterprise, we'd surely be out in the dust. I believe in the business aspect of things, unless everything goes tablet and mobile phones on their end, we're still ok me thinks.

I'm pretty good St missing obvious stuff so I thought I would check and see if anyone else saw what I saw :)

As for mobile phones and tablets.... The turnover rate on those devices is simply ridiculous! How can there be any positive development when so much time and money is being devoted to fishing for customer dollars through the "bigger better deal" ? I know Moores law says tech is exponential ( it is Moores right?) but that tendency I being exploited by data miners I think. I would put my money on mobile tech being absorbed into the desktop market as "enhancement aids" and peripherals (instead of the market share theif that they have been for the past few years), but that's just what is logical to me. The emerging market is wearable of course but I think that is a fad that may pass. M$ may very well usher in the age of truly computerized.... Well everything. I guess I hadn't considered most of that until a few minutes ago. Like I said, often the obvious escapes me :D

The future is in mobile computing. Microsoft's market share would increase if they can get a horse in that race...
They're breeding Windows 10 for that purpose, although Windows 10 does also remove the problems they created by not including a Classic Shell option in Windows 8 as a starting option choice.

'Cuda340, and everyone else, that quote about Windows 7 key directly implies that if you were to upgrade to Windows 10, your legitimate Windows 7/8 key will not be deactivated, in other words a dual boot between Windows 7/8 and Windows 10 is possible with the same key.

That sounds almost too good to be true, but that is a direct implication of the quote.
If we can get a second confirmation on that - I would simply install Windows 10 on a different partition and leave Windows 7/8 alone. Dual boot or leave it be in case anything goes wrong.

EarthDog, would you please PM me or post here when you eventually find out if using an unactivated Windows 7/8 key can activate Windows 10 - that is an excellent question.

Dumb question... Upon this upgrade, does my W7 have to be activated? Meaning, I have a legit W7 key, but due to waiting and some hardware changes, I have not bothered to activate my key. Do I need to get my current W7 install activated before I jump to W10?

Actually , I thought that was a pretty darn good question. That would allow me to relegate my Win 7 to HTPC duties exclusively when I get around to (can afford) my next rig.

Can I go back to my previous version of Windows if I don’t like Windows 10?

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Yes, while we think you will love all the features of Windows 10, you will have one month after upgrading to revert back to the previous version of Windows on your device.[/FONT]

ONE MONTH ONLY to go back or basically means, your key is good with your old OS for one month. Thought I'd share if it hasn't already.

For what it's worth inside the spoiler tags the area is just completely blank (at least to me)

Edit: worked fine in Edge but not in Chrome. Will play around with it later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back