• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone you know nearby that has more bandwidth who can DL it for you?

Anyway if you have to wait until the end of the month, you might as well pull down the RTM on the 29th ;)

Anyone you know nearby that has more bandwidth who can DL it for you?

Anyway if you have to wait until the end of the month, you might as well pull down the RTM on the 29th ;)

Well the McDonalds in town I suppose.....
RTM will be available? Might as well then :)

Yeah if you're signed up as an insider, otherwise on torrents. MS ISO links usually work for everyone and they'll be posted all over the web.

Why on Earth would you trust torrents as your ISO source when it's as simple as one registration form to get the ISO straight from the source? How many people downloading from torrents actually checked that the checksum matched?

*raises hand*

Granted, the latest builds are not put into ISO form directly from Microsoft, only the latest released to slow ring.

The most dangerous torrent file is the one containing the operating system itself - malware could be already built into it when you install it!

If there is one thing that you should not install from an untrusted source - it's the OS!

And yes, I second the above suggestion: Absolutely wait until RTM comes out for any sort of non-testing main rig use.

Actually even the check sums can be faked to match. I always use the check sums, but I put them in a VM. Torrents are OK if you are aware of the risks and take some precautions, but the MS download is the best bet if you can be patient.

July 6, 2015 12:09 pm by Brandon LeBlanc

Updates to Entertainment in Windows 10

Updated July 6, 2015 12:17 pm - Windows 10 was built to offer a familiar and secure experience, with unmatched productivity offerings and more entertainment options for Windows fans. Not only will you be able to enjoy great gaming on Windows 10 – including the new Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition beta announced this weekend – but also great first party apps that come with refreshed designs, and that are free and installed on Windows 10 devices.

And today, I’m excited to share how things are shaping up for entertainment in Windows 10, based on the great feedback we’ve received from our passionate Windows Insiders community.

What’s new with entertainment on Windows 10?

Let’s start with Music. Our fans asked for faster ways to access the music they love – quickly, efficiently, and on their favorite devices. And for that, we’re proud to introduce the evolution of our current Xbox Music experience, now titled Groove, with new features we think you’re going to love. Groove describes what people feel and do with music, and is more intuitive for our Windows 10 customers on what they’ll find with the app.

And along with Groove, you’ll also find Xbox Video has also been renamed to Movies & TV, making the content in the app more identifiable for our broad customer base.

For both of these apps, you’ll see the changes come through first on Windows 10 PC’s before rolling out to other devices in the coming months.

We’ve kept a keen eye on our existing entertainment fans to make sure the experiences which they enjoy and subscribe to today, will continue without any interruptions. Here’s a quick overview of the new features you’ll find with both apps in the build coming to Windows Insiders this week.

Groove

Welcome-Screen-for-Groove-1024x599.png

Welcome Screen for the Groove app for Windows 10

The Look and Feel: Groove provides an improved experience for listening to and managing your music in Windows 10. Getting into music is faster than ever with easy-to-use menus and navigation controls that work well with both mouse/keyboard, and with familiar touch gestures on touch-screen devices. Pinch to zoom in or out of different views, drag your favorite tracks in to playlists, hover over the Taskbar icon for playback controls, or right click for contextual menus to pin an album to your Start menu. And you can also infuse your personality in to Groove – choose a light or dark theme for the app depending on your mood, or pick an accent color in Windows Settings and the Groove app makes it shine.

Accessing Your Music on your favorite devices: We’re also making it easy to access your content across your favorite devices – with built-in OneDrive integration making your favorite songs only a few clicks away. Upload all your MP3’s to OneDrive, even songs purchased from iTunes, and access them all for free with the Groove app on your Windows devices, Xbox, the web — and even on your Android phones and iPhones (coming soon).

Music and the Windows Store:
You can also sign up for a Groove Music Pass subscription – a premium ad-free listening experience with no interruptions. $9.99/month or $99/year gets you complete access to stream and download music from the Windows Store — one of the largest music catalogs on the planet with over 40 million tracks*. Subscribers can also create custom radio stations based on their favorite songs, albums and artists. If you already have an Xbox Music Pass (like me) – don’t worry! This will become Groove Music Pass and you don’t need to do anything.

Check out this information page for more on Groove.

Movies & TV

Movies-1024x795.png

Movies collections view in the Movies & TV app for Windows 10

Enjoying Videos in Windows 10: You will find the Movies & TV app in Windows 10 better than ever for playing all your personal videos, as well as all the movies and TV shows you love. Import your personal video collection, and play back your content in a fast and elegantly designed app that is optimized for both mouse/keyboard as well as touch. Drag and drop videos between your collections, use right clicks and hot keys for contextual menus, or go full-screen with easy to use playback controls. We’ve also added additional file format support like .MKV too.

The Windows Store: Movies & TV has direct integration with the Windows Store, where you can buy or rent from all the latest movies and TV shows in HD, as well as thousands of other favorites. Weekly new releases, access to TV shows a day after air, deals and discounts, and personalized recommendations just for you. And on Windows 10 devices, Xbox and the web, the Movies & TV app lets you start watching purchased or rented content on one device, and pick up where you left off on another device.

The Feedback Engine

We’re excited to share this first look at the entertainment experiences with Windows 10, and we hope you like where we’re headed.

We’re proud to be building products that light up the fun side of Windows, and it’s been great to see how the feedback from our Windows Insiders has shaped these apps into what they are today.

Windows Insiders who are a part of the Fast ring and upgrade to the next PC build will see these updates in the Store beta first. For anyone else, you’ll get to enjoy these updates with Windows 10 starting on July 29th.

Please keep sharing your feedback with us in the Windows Insider forums and head on over here to sign up for the program if you’re eager to jump in to Windows 10.

*Groove Music Pass sold separately and in selected markets. Catalog size and availability varies by market and over time.

Source

Still can't believe they took out actual ability to watch TV through a tuner.

Well now you get to pay them for streaming content instead :rolleyes:
Yeah. No. I'll keep 7 and my TV tuner. I'll use my Insider copy of Win 10 for the rig I'm building with my daughter (we're planning case mods at this stage , and teaching her how to mod a card reader from Dell proprietary to internal USB). She (we) will be learning Linux in a dual boot system to prepare for the day when M$ is just too much B$ to bear anymore. :)

Microsoft releases new updates for Windows 10 apps

Nothing exciting...

Microsoft has released new updates for Windows 10 apps to Insiders earlier today. The company has updated most of the “stock” Windows 10 apps, such as Mail, Alarms & Clock, Phone Companion, etc. Here is the list of the apps that has been updated:

*Movies & TV – now lets users find TV episodes that you don’t own and live tile support coming soon
*Mail and Calendar – probably includes bug fixes, nothing new
*Phone Companion – bug fixes, nothing new
*Alarms & Clock – bug fixes, nothing new
*Windows Calculator – bug fixes, nothing new
*OneNote – bug fixes, nothing new
*News – bug fixes, nothing new

As you can see, most of the app updates doesn’t come with anything new and only packs bug fixes. As Microsoft is getting closer to Windows 10 RTM release date, the company will be releasing more builds and app updates to Insiders, which will mostly include bug fixes. If you’re an Insider, you can get the latest app updates by opening up the Store app and heading over to the Downloads section. Keep in mind that if you’ve auto updates enabled, you should already have the latest updates – if not, make sure to check for updates manually.

Every time im away from home w10 updates to a new build.... It removes cpu id software. Unaware, i tried a little light gaming before bed. Hawken, ran completely like ****. A pc.restart cured this problem, but w10 uninstalling my programs is getting to be a pain in the arse.

Thought id share.

Is that the only software you found missing? i've updated from 10130->58->59->62 without any issues with a couple games I've loaded up and didn't find anything uninstalled.

Build 10166

I've said it before and i'll say it again:

Much the same as not voting imo, if you're an "Insider" testing Windows 10 and not sending in feedback then you don't have a right to ***** about the O/S once released...

Having said that, on with the show...

July 9, 2015 9:50 am by Gabe Aul

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10166

Hi everyone, we have a new build for PCs we’re releasing today to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring – Build 10166. Just like the 3 builds we released last week, this build is all about bug fixing and fit-and-finish. Be sure to keep using the Windows Feedback app to send us feedback on any problems you’re hitting to help us make sure Windows 10 is awesome when we release it on July 29th!

We also have something for you to try out if you live in the Seattle area. With Windows 10, we are giving people the ability to purchase paid Wi-Fi through the Windows Store via the Microsoft Wi-Fi app. You will know when you can purchase Wi-Fi when you see “Buy Wi-Fi from Windows Store” in your list of networks when clicking on the network icon on the lower right in the Taskbar. The Microsoft Wi-Fi app provides the choice to pay with a Credit or Debit Card, a Microsoft Gift Card, PayPal, or Wireless Carrier Billing, and it helps keep your information secure since it uses the Windows Store payment system. Completing the purchase is simple as there is no need to enter additional personal or payment information if you’ve already registered in Windows Store. Right now, we’re testing this experience out in Seattle but it’ll soon open up to the rest of the U.S.

We also have a corresponding Windows 10 SDK preview release with this build. The Building Apps for Windows blog will go into details on the change log. As always, you can download the latest Windows SDK and mobile emulator from the Windows 10 Developer Tools page.

For those of you on older builds – now is definitely the time to upgrade to the most current build. Grab 10166 from Windows Update today or build 10162 ISOs from the Windows Insider Program website. Thank you to all of our Windows Insiders who have given us terrific feedback and helped us shape Windows 10. We’re getting close to release now and the whole team here is working hard and incredibly excited!

Thanks,
g

Source

Uh ya I am opted in Big guy. And reported the issue.

Thanks for.sharing your opinion of my and what you think. However I wasnt talking **** about the os, just simply sharing one little complication that just hasnt been fixed yet. It is not concerning to me at all, ive had my run around with all operating systems from ms even after full build release.

But lets face the real.truth of.facts.... Its not going to be perfect even after release time. I expect many updates after release just as any operating system is from ms.

Have a good day.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that the only software you found missing? i've updated from 10130->58->59->62 without any issues with a couple games I've loaded up and didn't find anything uninstalled.

It didn't do that from 58 to59. Before and after. I did report it also. Its probably not at the top of the list for.bug fixes.....

- - - Updated - - -

Let me.add.that I do enjoy the look of the new splash screen during post up. Very eye catching :)

Thanks for comments "Big guy"..... but none of that post was directed @ you or any one person for that matter.

You have a good day as well. :thup:

--Edit---

For anyone looking for ISO: Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 10166

Last edited:
I'm wondering if I commit win 10 to my 2nd partition on my SSD, will it sneak a read of my win 7 COA and snag it? I'll install it as a fresh install on my insider account. The only way to fully test this OS is on bare metal, not just a VM.

BTW it looks like that ISO link has already been worn out :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back