• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump and fans tuning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippogriff

So, as I more or less decided what will be my daily CPU OC, I want to tune my fans/pump settings. I know that I'll have to adjust it when I add the 2nd 980 and when temps will be higher, but I would like some opinions since this is my first custom loop.

Pump

I have my PWM pump connected to the CPU pin of the mobo. However, I have no idea what kind of settings to use. I googled a bit and can't find a clear answer. Some people seems to treat it more or less like a Vario pump and keep a more or less fixed speed.

Now I'm running at 50-60% depending on CPU temp

Rad/case fans

I have all my radiator and case fans attached to the 2nd PWM pin via a Swiftech splitter.

My current settings are (depending on CPU temp):

<40C - 30% (~800 rpm)
40-50C - 40% (~900 rpm)
50-60C - 50% (~1000-1100 rpm)
60-70C - 60-65% (~1200-1300 rpm)
70 and up prorpotional (70C - 70%, 80C - 80%....)

When I'm stress testing the CPU, I'm in the 58-65C range and my fans noise is just a bit above the PSU fan noise. My DeltaT is like 7-8C

However, when I play. My CPU is in the 52-56C range, my GPU at 40C and my fans noise are below the noise of the PSU fan. My DeltaT is like 10C

What is your opinion? Do you think that I will have to pump those fans a lot more when ambient will be high 20s / lows 30s instead of the current 20C?

The problem of this setup is that noise is lower when I care less about the noise. When I play, I have headphones. Instead, when I'm working, I would like as much silence as possible. Should I change fans settings depending on what I'm doing? Otherwise, there is any way to link GPU temp and PWM fans speed? I read about SpeedFan, but don't know if it is good.

Thanks

I let the motherboard control all of it.
I used a custom fan curve to run it all ~20% until temps came up some.

The Swiftech PWM splitter ran the PWM signal to all 5 fans and the pump for me, so it was all controlled off of one header and one curve :)

Can't find fans setting in the OC Formula BIOS. Yesterday I tried to update the BIOS to see if there were updates, but was a disaster (couldn't even boot with my stable OC, guess that they changed some default settings and I'm a noob).

My fear about the current settings is that 10-11C DeltaT when playing. Isn't it high?

I would leave the pump speed static. Once you have 1.5GPM flow, there is little point in more (steep slope of diminishing returns). Just have the fans adjust to the temps through the bios.

As far as what the ambient change will do... 1:1 ratio really. So if your ambient temps in the room go up 10C, your temps will go up 10C. You have the headroom for that quite easily.

Can't find fans setting in the OC Formula BIOS. Yesterday I tried to update the BIOS to see if there were updates, but was a disaster (couldn't even boot with my stable OC, guess that they changed some default settings and I'm a noob).

My fear about the current settings is that 10-11C DeltaT when playing. Isn't it high?

I have a special sauce BIOS if you would like it I will try to find it

I agree with ED, I run my pumps at 50% and never have an issue with temps, though my ambient temps never go above 24c. I also have my fans on a fan controller and run them as well at about 50% without issue.

Yup. Keep that D5 around the 3-4 speed. Not sure what that comes out to in PWM language but a little math won't hurt. :p

Your temps aren't so bad and the heat surface is there, plus you got some pretty premium fans there. I would advise to figure out a level you can handle with the fans and leave it at that, whether you get 7, 10 or even close to 15 Delta-Temps. Setup the fans at a tolerable acoustic, along with the pump and let it be. You might get slightly higher temps, even with the added 980 for SLI. Just make sure your air flow in the case is optimized as well and your flow rate is within a 1.0-1.5 GPM. :salute:

I have a special sauce BIOS if you would like it I will try to find it

If it doesn't blow up my motherboard, I will take it. No hurry, since I am going back home next week and will be back only in January.

Yup. Keep that D5 around the 3-4 speed. Not sure what that comes out to in PWM language but a little math won't hurt. :p

Your temps aren't so bad and the heat surface is there, plus you got some pretty premium fans there. I would advise to figure out a level you can handle with the fans and leave it at that, whether you get 7, 10 or even close to 15 Delta-Temps. Setup the fans at a tolerable acoustic, along with the pump and let it be. You might get slightly higher temps, even with the added 980 for SLI. Just make sure your air flow in the case is optimized as well and your flow rate is within a 1.0-1.5 GPM. :salute:

When I play BF4, these Noctua fans at 70% are absolutely not a problem. When I work, the PSU is honestly already a bit too noisy (I'm thinking about changing it). Guess I will change the speed by software depending on working/gaming, since in both cases what I have to change is only what happens between 50 and 60C: something like 50% when working and 60% when playing.

I will also get a flow meter together with the block.

Thanks!

Id just leave the pump speed alone as that really wont help things...just have the fans ramp up on temp. :)

Well, let's do the math! :)

If its good for 1200lph and 1G = ~3.8L that is what, ~315 GPH. Divide that by 60 to get GPM at max =~5GPM when cranked. Now, with restriction and such that goes down a bit, but with that you should be able to see that 50-60% is plenty to hit at least 1GPM. :)

You could always test it and time how long it takes your loop to fill a 1G container...

Well, let's do the math! :)

If its good for 1200lph and 1G = ~3.8L that is what, ~315 GPH. Divide that by 60 to get GPM at max =~5GPM when cranked. Now, with restriction and such that goes down a bit, but with that you should be able to see that 50-60% is plenty to hit at least 1GPM. :)

You could always test it and time how long it takes your loop to fill a 1G container...

I will get a flower meter when I put the 2nd 980. So far I have no temps problems..

Then leave it as is and just adjust the fans... But it would be nice to see your results when that flow meter lands! :)

Yeah, flow meter is nice to have because it gives you an idea the state your flow is in. Not a must but a nice luxury to have.

With the Pumps, D5's usually come in a 5 speed variant. The way I would break it down is, divide 100% PWM by 5 if you will. For every 20% is like having 1 dial up on the variant, if that makes sense. That's how my crazy mind thinks of it. Most builds out there that use D5s will be using the variant version since PWM is fairly new. In most cases I see folks use 3 or 4 out of 5 on those variant pumps in complex loops. Your pump I would guess, depending on how many bends and what not will run efficiently anywhere from 60%-80%. That's all just a guess on my part but than again, a simple flow meter will end most worries and help focus in other areas that aren't being run efficiently.

Back