• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buzzing noise with new ASUS R9 280 card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanibanez

So I've picked up a new ASUS R9 280 card for Christmas (wife's gift to me). I tried it today to make sure its running fine, I loaded drivers and all is good; except when under load. I tried a quick run of 3DMARK and noticed a very audible buzzing. It seems to be coming from the PSU, when not under load the noise stops.

The noise seems to be the equivalent of the type of noise you hear when you have an electrical background crackling noise in a headset. Which, oddly enough, I get the same noise in my headset all the time when I plug into the front audio jack on my pc case. When I plug into the main audio on the motherboard all is fine. I hope it's not the card but I suspect the PSU is either under too much load or maybe has some faulty caps (I've replaced a lot of PSU caps in the past). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

All the hardware is listed in my sig.

Coil whine... not much you can do about it really... You can find the offending choke and put some clear nail polish/silicon on it. You PSU is PLENTY for that card.

Coil whine... not much you can do about it really... You can find the offending choke and put some clear nail polish/silicon on it. You PSU is PLENTY for that card.

Wow I didn't think it would be coil whine, that sucks. Well if it doesn't affect performance or card life than I'll try the silicone or nail polish fix I guess.

Does it change with framerate/action on the scene and high pitched? Its more than likely coil whine.

If it isn't high pitched then I'm not sure its coil whine...

Well I had a listen with a cardboard tube and there is a very faint coil whine, it's there even when not under load but with the case side on I'm pretty sure I won't hear it. The noise though is coming from the power supply, noticeable out of the P/S grill at the back when under load.

Back