• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to get Windows cheap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheaptoad

Registered
I have to get a 64 bit version of Windows for my new rig. I currently have Win 7 32. If someone could point me in the direction of a new OS cheap.

Thanx

Steve

Are you a student? Know a student? That is about the cheapest legitimate way to get it really...

Are you a student? Know a student? That is about the cheapest legitimate way to get it really...

If you are a student, you can get DVDs for as low as $20 from your university, or for free from Dreamspark. Otherwise, wait for a deal on newegg or amazon.

Windows 8.1 can occasionally be had for like $60 retail, just keep an eye out.

That being said, Windows licenses aren't tied to any particular architecture. Your 32-bit key will work for a 64-bit version of the same OS. You can download the ISOs directly from Microsoft.

Ok, now how to go about that? Should I install win7 32 on the new drive then upgrade? Or, install 64 on my current hd over 32?

A fresh install is always best. Once you have the install, updates, and drivers, make a backup image.

Ok, now how to go about that? Should I install win7 32 on the new drive then upgrade? Or, install 64 on my current hd over 32?

you can't upgrade to 64 from 32, they are different architectures. You will need to do a full format and install of 64bit.

Ok. I have the same question like an author of this thread. How to get Windows cheap. I need it only for running my PC and supporting games. I read some articles about 32 and 64-bit systems and know that I need 64-bit version to support my 8gig RAM. Is there more differences between Windows versions that can influens my hardware?

I am a student in college.

How does Dreamspark work?

Last edited:
you can't upgrade to 64 from 32, they are different architectures. You will need to do a full format and install of 64bit.

But since I have win7 32 can I install win7 64 on my new drive as a clean install?

But since I have win7 32 can I install win7 64 on my new drive as a clean install?

Yes, license keys (assuming they're retail) can be activated up to 3 (at least, it used to be) times. You're only licensed to use one copy of Windows at a time, though. So download the 64-bit version of your current version of Windows (Home, Premium, Ultimate, etc, you MUST use the same version) from Microsoft (Google it), install to your new hard drive using the same license key, then format your old hard drive after you've copied all your data over.

If it is an OEM copy (ie, came with your computer from Dell or something), then you'll probably have to call in to an automate Microsoft line to have them generate a new activation code for you.. that's what I've done in the past (long ago), but your mileage may vary there.

Ok. I have the same question like an author of this thread. How to get Windows cheap. I need it only for running my PC and supporting games. I read some articles about 32 and 64-bit systems and know that I need 64-bit version to support my 8gig RAM. Is there more differences between Windows versions that can influens my hardware?

I am a student in college.

How does Dreamspark work?

See if your school participates in the program here:
https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/
More info here:
https://www.dreamspark.com/Support/FAQ/

Ok great, I'll download the new is.

The new Question is, how do I get the new os on the new drive without a new disk.

Most I know nowdays just download the ISO then use a thumb drive to install the OS. It's what I do for my machines, although I use Rufus to do so and not Microsoft's tool (for some reason it's been 50/50 with their tool on corrupt installation).

Hold on, Im gonna post a a way to get windows 8.1 standard ("Pro" only adds some silly networking that most people frankly wont use) for less than 50$ :)

How large of a flash drive do I need

I know 8GB will work and probably a 4GB will as well, I don't know about a 2GB flash drive.

I've not had any issues using microsoft's own USB Windows Download Tool (or whatever they call it) to make the ISO onto a bootable flash drive. Heard good things about rufus though.

Please make sure to use the edit button instead of double posting in the future.

I know 8GB will work and probably a 4GB will as well, I don't know about a 2GB flash drive.

I've not had any issues using microsoft's own USB Windows Download Tool (or whatever they call it) to make the ISO onto a bootable flash drive. Heard good things about rufus though.

Please make sure to use the edit button instead of double posting in the future.

A 4 gig drive is too small. I've tried, you definitely need an 8 gig. Here is the link for the download tool, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

It wouldn't install on my 4 gig corsair mini voyager. I just realized, the .iso I have, has updates, that's why it wouldn't fit. Without the updates, it will work. I stand corrected.

Back