• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Expelled from Intel Retail Edge Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alzerm

As I am sure most of you have heard of this program I (well using my moms account lol) have been a member of the program since spring of this year. I got the 4770k and wanted to switch to the 4790k but hadn't opened up my 4770k yet so I thought I'd sell it (violate the terms of the deal). Well a posting went up on Reddit about the deal and people wanted to buy cpus for the insane prices. I had to get rid of mine in order to get the 4790k so I said I have this 4770k I got but no one to buy it. People pmed me and I told them I had a listing on ebay for it. Sent it to about 4 people. Sold the cpu to someone a few days later off ebay so I went ahead and purchased the 4790k off the intel sight for $121.xx. I checked last night to see the status for my order and my account was locked. Got a reply this morning saying I was expelled for attempting to sell on a third party site. Funny thing about this is the email I used for the program was my moms. The email I used for ebay and reddit was mine. Someone had to do some snooping and or snitching to figure this one out which is what pisses me off. There really wasn't a way to find out unless an Intel employee bought it off ebay or someone decided to look up my account information on either ebay or reddit. Even then they'd have to take it a step further and match it to my moms email account and retail edge account. Just a word of warning for anyone looking to sell their chips. Don't say how you got it. Anyone heard of this happening before?

Yeah, it's a common occurrence. The Retail Edge program provides insane deals to retailers that partner with Intel, of course they're going to keep tabs on the chips. Wouldn't surprise me if they had select batch numbers dedicated to this program and could identify them that way. Moral of the story, don't violate the ToS and you won't get banned.

A photo of the cpu had the batch number haha! I had a feeling I should have blurred it out haha.

I bought a cpu from a retail edge member in the past... I can't remember what I did with that chip. It might have been sold twice! :rofl:

I wanted to show people it was sealed and saw it when I first uploaded the image but was in a rush to leave so I left it showing. Such a shame I got booted as well. Well at least I made back a good 180 off it haha. I just price matched microcenters price with bestbuy since I don't have a microcenter in my area and it was 284.xx over the 121.xx. This cpu better oc like a god later one since I payed more than double for my mistake haha

I wanted to show people it was sealed and saw it when I first uploaded the image but was in a rush to leave so I left it showing. Such a shame I got booted as well. Well at least I made back a good 180 off it haha. I just price matched microcenters price with bestbuy since I don't have a microcenter in my area and it was 284.xx over the 121.xx. This cpu better oc like a god later one since I payed more than double for my mistake haha

Best Buy? lol

Buying a CPU from that place is like going to buy cigarretes at a gas station when you could get em at walgreens for cheapest price.
STick to newegg or amazon man.

Btw what work did you do to get into intel retail program? I used to be in AMDs retail proggy. Back when first tri cores were realeased and got one for like 40% off anywhere else, first thing I read NOT FOR RESALE. Same goes for MS when I got a free copy of Win 8 from them :)

Amazon and Newegg won't price match. Staples doesn't carry 4790k so I went with Best Buy. Same price as MC. My mom is a Costco employee so I took one of her paystubs and cleared the one place it said her position. Got my validation and a 4770k for 117.xx back in the summer haha. Guess one could say I had it coming? :p

Last edited:
Amazon and Newegg won't price match. Staples doesn't carry 4790k so I went with Best Buy. Same price as MC. My mom is a Costco employee so I took one of her paystubs and cleared the one place it said her position. Got my validation and a 4770k for 117.xx back in the summer haha. Guess one could say I had it coming? :p

I think BBY only price matches in store not online CPU orders, no?

And over the phone. Said I was shipping it to someone out of state (my address) and used a address from an online buddy for the billing address. The rep I told to had no problem with that haha.

As I am sure most of you have heard of this program I (well using my moms account lol) have been a member of the program since spring of this year. I got the 4770k and wanted to switch to the 4790k but hadn't opened up my 4770k yet so I thought I'd sell it (violate the terms of the deal).

. My mom is a Costco employee so I took one of her paystubs and cleared the one place it said her position.

Beginning to notice a pattern here.

And over the phone. Said I was shipping it to someone out of state (my address) and used a address from an online buddy for the billing address. The rep I told to had no problem with that haha.

BBY employees are not reps, they are idiots. Reps are a higher tier level and they work for OEMs not BBY... And you wont be ordering anything from them on the phone. You have to talk to the idiots.

Beginning to notice a pattern here.

The pattern I noticed is teenager thats gonna do something stupid and get arrested one of these days, lol

Or mess with the wrong person even worst, cant con a con :D

Best buy price matches ANY offer. e-tailer, brick and mortar etc. If its in print/online they will match the price as long as the model # is the same. Staples does too.

With staples you pay taxes for the price of the item before the match though

Best buy price matches ANY offer. e-tailer, brick and mortar etc. If its in print/online they will match the price as long as the model # is the same. Staples does too.
They won't do retail edge matching... I tried.. at least the store I went to wouldn't... and I talked with a manager... YMMV?

They won't do retail edge matching... I tried.. at least the store I went to wouldn't... and I talked with a manager... YMMV?

I didn't think Zakaroo was referring to retail edge, wish quoting quoted what the person you quoted quoted... say that 3 times fast

But you are probably very correct.

With staples you pay taxes for the price of the item before the match though

Not in my experience. But I have bought 1 thing at staples since 2006 because of some shady stuff they pulled with a UPS insurance claim.

Back