• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Wont boot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EthanHerlihy

Hey I recently bought myself parts to build a new PC, everything is fine but the mobo is having problems booting up. If I mess around with the jumper it will turn on, but ain't no body got time for that, I'm already 300 euros over budget, so I'm asking for ur help. Thanks here are my specs AMD 3.8ghz 8 core CPU, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 mobo, ZALMAN CNPS 10X PERFORMA CPU Cooler, Kingston 2x4gb 2400mhz ram hyper beast, antec 550 wat 80 plus PSU , Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X 4GB Graphics Card.

I'll let someone else deliver the bad news..

Make sure everything is plugged in properly. Thats about as much as you can do.

Not going to insult someone for an honest mistake. I made it too; as did many others lol.

Basically that cpu is too much for that mother board. It's very unlikely it will ever work 100% stock, and certainly not for overclocking.

Do some dummy checks and make sure everything is plugged in properly and go from there.

AMD 3.8ghz 8 core CPU << That thing got a name like FX-8xxx or maybe FX-9xxx?

antec 550 wat 80 plus PSU << That power supply have an 8 pin CPU connector to plug into the mobo?

If I mess around with the jumper it will turn on, << What does that mean? When the board will not boot up you move the jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3 with the A/C power dis-connected and wait 30 seconds and then move the jumper back to pins 1 and 2 and REapply A/C power to the power supply and boot up and it will boot? At least until you turn it off and try and boot again? Is that messing around with the jumper in your parlance?
RGone...

What is the make and model of the PSU? If it's a cheap off brand 550W unit it may not be able to cover the power draw demands of an FX-8350 together with a R9 270x GPU. That's one potential issue.

Second, what bios version is the motherboard loaded with? To be able to work with an FX 8 core CPU it might need to be updated: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/HelpDesk_CPU/
What is the model number of this socket AM3+ 8 core CPU?

Third, it's unfortunate that you chose Kingston RAM. It is well-known that Kingston doesn't play well with AMD CPUs.

Back