• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows installing painfully slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Got my SSD in today, Crucial M500. Windows 8.1

I installed windows via usb on my HTPC (A4 6300k, A78M-a motherboard, 15k raptor drive) and the whole process took about 20 minutes. Very quick and easy. This was done last night.

Unplugged every hard drive except my SSD, made sure bios had it in ACHI mode, not sure what other settings would be required?

So far, its been 2 hours, the files aren't even unpacked!!! Its at 51%! I don't wanna restart now, but what could be going on? Googling is pretty much fruitless :-/

No idea, that's very weird though. I would run some tests on the ssd when you get into windows to make sure it is performing correctly

No idea, that's very weird though. I would run some tests on the ssd when you get into windows to make sure it is performing correctly

On the docket! I didn't even think to crystal mark it before I started, I Was gonna do that after installation. I'll be quite livid if its broken haha

edit:
80%! god... haha

Something isn't right. If it passes the tests, see how long it takes to boot. If it is abnormally long, I do a reinstall. Hold off on any drivers, updates, software installs until you get it sorted out. Also run sfc/scannow, and see if you have any errors.

Yeah crystal mark shows 1.7mbs read and 0.2 write.... gonna try some stuff and get back.

Installing windows on another pc and gonna insert hdd to other computer. I can reset drivers later

Not the hard drive, installed on second computer in about 5 minutes, if that. Unreal fast.

I reset the cmos. I don't get it though, my normal OS boots fine, but when I replace with the SSD, it goes super slow? Any thoughts?

Theres something really bad going on.

Problems ->

1) usb boot program takes 5-8 minutes to load each time
-> I tested USB drives with crystal mark, they are within normal limits
2) CMOS reset, nothing helped
3) SSD will randomly show and not show

So as of now, I updated BIOS to latest firmware, and replaced the SATA cable with a known working cable. Starting in safe mode and will attempt to get things ordered.

Any thoughts appreciated.

edit: making a new thread, no longer a "windows install" issue. If thread merger is required, so be it.

Last edited:
Back