• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wirelessly transfer VGA signal to TV in 2nd room?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if I can wirelessly mirror a VGA output from our CCTV NVR from the installed location on the 2nd floor up to a bedroom on the 3rd floor. Currently the setup is:

*NVR connected to LCD monitor via VGA output

What I want to do is:

*NVR connected to LCD monitor via VGA output
PLUS
* Have mirrored output on a 2nd monitor upstairs

Are there such devices that can do this? If not, are there any other alternatives? Thanks in advance! :)

What's the distance between the TVs/displays in the various locations? That's critical. Bluetooth 4 can theoretically travel up to 100 ft. under ideal conditions. Other wireless devices, microwaves, electromagnetic fields from appliances, walls and floors will adversely affect that.

What's the distance between the TVs/displays in the various locations? That's critical. Bluetooth 4 can theoretically travel up to 100 ft. under ideal conditions. Other wireless devices, microwaves, electromagnetic fields from appliances, walls and floors will adversely affect that.

It's going to be roughly 30-35FT with 1 floor in between. Is there a device that transmit via BT for what I'm trying to do?

So let me make sure I understand what you want to do. I'm assuming you have a cable TV feed in one room of a building and want to share it with TVs on a different floor but you can't run cables. Is this correct?

There are wireless display kits out there, but expect to pay a lot. The lowest I have seen is about $180.

So let me make sure I understand what you want to do. I'm assuming you have a cable TV feed in one room of a building and want to share it with TVs on a different floor but you can't run cables. Is this correct?

The main source is actually a VGA port coming out of a NVR for my IP cameras; it is not a cable TV coax cable.

Have you talked with folks who manufactured the NVR to see if they know of any workable solutions?

Not yet. Generally these NVR's are either:

1) plugged directly via the VGA or HDMI port (mine doesn't have HDMI)
2) have a application that runs off a Windows PC that streams the image out.

I'm looking into an alternate solution and seeing if there's any free linux applications that can open my NVR's streams that can run off a iMX6 based baord on ubuntu.

Not yet. Generally these NVR's are either:

1) plugged directly via the VGA or HDMI port (mine doesn't have HDMI)
2) have a application that runs off a Windows PC that streams the image out.

I'm looking into an alternate solution and seeing if there's any free linux applications that can open my NVR's streams that can run off a iMX6 based board on ubuntu.

p.s. the company is Zmodo if anyone has experience with them or wants to chime in

If your camera setup is IP and not analog/CCTV, your NVR software probably has the ability to be remotely monitored, either through a web console or a dedicated application. Check your manual out or contact Zmodo for specifics, but it should be doable.

I forgot this NVR is for a analog camera setup in the garage; my other Zmodo unit has the IP cameras.

If your camera setup is IP and not analog/CCTV, your NVR software probably has the ability to be remotely monitored, either through a web console or a dedicated application. Check your manual out or contact Zmodo for specifics, but it should be doable.

If it's an analog DVR (not an NVR), you're pretty much dead in the water without wasting a lot of money. Do you have any additional channels available on your Zmodo IP NVR? It'd probably be cheaper to just add some additional cameras to it to replace your analog unit.

The only solution I can think of (without running cable) would be to connect the analog NVR to a PC, and then stream the PC content over your network to be viewed elsewhere. Even then, you'll still need some way to capture the analog input on the PC.

I think I'll end up getting a spare PC for streaming the streams via the Zmodo player from their website. At least this way I can use the PC for other purposes if needed instead of paying $120+ for something that only brings the VGA signal to another room.

For those in the same boat as me. I solved the problem by finding a older foxconn media PC (uses AMD processor equivalent to an Atom but with some dedicated graphics I believe) and installed Ubuntu 14 on it. I then installed Wine 1.7 on it and used that to install Zmodo's Zviewer program and suprisingly it's working well so far. Nice free solution assuming you have everything laying around already.

Back