• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on Media Center PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowbiz

Registered
I am starting to look around for ideas for building a media center pc for a friend. I am in the process of building my gaming pc and I went with the ASUS Rampage V Extreme which has an astounding number of features so I have been debating if I should go with the same Rampage V Extreme for his build or go with the ASUS X99-E WS for the build, any suggestions? I am a ASUS fan so I would prefer a MB from them unless someone has a very compelling argument. From what he told me he wanted in the build we have thought that going with the following components;

CPU:
Intel i7 5960x

GPU:
Not entirely sure yet as I am more experienced with gaming builds, not media center/home theater builds but from looking around the best card for 4k resolution (He will be hooking this pc up to his new 60" 4k tv) is the Nvidia GTX Titan-Z (12gb ddr5 ram)

RAM:
I personally went with the 64gb of DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum (2666Mz)
But i don't think his will need quite this much, suggestions?

PCI-E Components:
TV Tuner
RAID Controller

Storage:
x1 1tb SSD for the OS
x4 3 or 4TB HDD

Extras:
Blurry drive w/ 3d playback capabilities

PSU:
Corsair Gold AX850

Any suggestions?
Changes?
comments?

x99 for a media center? Is your friends last name Gates or is he a recent powerball winner? 4k VIDEO playback requires a very modest amount of performance.

I personally don't think a $500 motherboard is "bill gates rich" or requires winning the powerball...lol from what I can see most good motherboards that support the new i7 Haswell processors and ddr4 ram are around that price range.

I personally don't think a $500 motherboard is "bill gates rich" or requires winning the powerball...lol from what I can see most good motherboards that support the new i7 Haswell processors and ddr4 ram are around that price range.

A 5000$ htpc implies extravagant wealth to blow imo. If thats what you wish, so be it! But the exact same job can be done for 500$.

As long as your friend knows that a $80 motherboard with an i3, 4GB RAM, and a GT 740 with a 300W PSU can do the job just as well, I don't see anything wrong with that.

that system is super far beyond overkill for what is needed to stream video content and host files. You could put together a system for less than the cost of the CPU.

Build a $500-$1000 system, and use the rest of the budget towards an audiophile amplifier, and speakers.

Back