• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech G710+ Repair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

ok so I got a free Logitech 710+, got it from a friend that had some one give it to him.

I guess the duder had it about a week and his cat knocked a soda onto it. my friend was told if he wanted to fix it it was his, but my friend being kinda lazy, busy with family stuffs and not the pc gamer type gave it to me. either way the guy wanted it gone so it was that or trash
I plugged it in and it works. Some of the keys are a bit stiff and don't have a very fast rebound and require more foce than others to press so it makes things kinda weird. all the keys work though with out repeating letters.

I took it apart and held some of the switches that were bad down and soaked them with 99% isopropyl it fixed a lot of the slightly sticky buttons but there are about 17 really bad ones still.

I'm not sure about hot to go on repairing them. should I just replace them or desolder, dismantle & replace them?
some of them are keys that won be used very often but t i o p are the worst followed by 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 = above the letters / over the number pad is bad too as well as some F keys.
how would you guys go about it, I have quite the soldering/desoldering set up with a panavise adjustable weller, various tips, plenty of braid, solder types, solder sucker. No De-soldering iron but it might be reason enough to get one now and possibly modify it with a small vaccum pump so I wouldn't have to use the squeeze bulb.

any way. its a decent keyboard and I figure since I got it for free its worth putting some effort into it, I just don't know how to go about it all.
and yes I did type this with the keyboard in question, all keys work but if I am missing a letter here and there it was a stiff key

Since it all works I would just buy some switches to replace the sticky ones. Especially since you have experience soldering.

Also, de-soldering wick may be better than a bulb for this.

I don't have a bulb, I have a "soldapult".... the name kinds sounds like something that might fling sodomy....

any way its spring loaded, I was thinking of getting a desoldering iron WITH a bulb though and replacing the bulb with some rubber hose to the intake of a air bubbler pump thing for a fish tank and it would have a mild vacuum to suck up molten solder. if I could find the one I have already that would be good but i'll have to wait till one shows up at the goodwill outlet store

Edit:
I got bored today (12/16/14) and opened it up and took the soldering iron to it in an effort to save some more keys.
I was actually really exhausted from hanging xmas lights and mowing the lawn and such so I just needed to sit and do something and this is what I did.

I took all the bad switches out in batches and took the switches them selves apart and dumped them in an old medicine bottle with 99% isopropyl and shook it for a while. then pulling each part out individually and cleaned them with a q tip and re assembled and re soldered it to the board.

the P key died in this process but most of the others seems to have made a recovery with the exception of the T key, feels a bit sticky still.

I swapped P with macro key G1 until I can get a replacement. will probably replace T aswell oddly enough the PCB this is all soldered too isn't ROHS compliant, my low temp soldering iron still took up some of the mask while I was de soldering but no pads got damaged. thought this was an odd choice for logitech

Last edited:
Back