• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memorable Overclocking-Friendly CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They mentioned LV Xeons but not Prestonia Xeons 2.4>3.3GHz 24/7 on my Iwill DH800. Real men can overclock dual socket boards for twice the fun lol.

They mentioned LV Xeons but not Prestonia Xeons 2.4>3.3GHz 24/7 on my Iwill DH800. Real men can overclock dual socket boards for twice the fun lol.

The BIOS' I've seen for dual socket systems didn't/don't have any overclocking
settings. I'm amazed you found one, That was an expensive motherboard in its
day. Was it NUMA capable?

Abit made some real good dual socket/slot motherboards that did have overclocking options in the bios setup..also "Tyan"? was another that specialized in dual slot/socket boards. That's when someone (I think from our forums) learned that Celerons could go dual without issues even though Intel said no.

Cannot add to the discussion without mentioning that I had a AMD K5 133 that would run at 150 without any issues.

Ahh yes, my good 'ol Duron :)
Still have it, and it still sports a nifty 1Ghz.
Stock was 750.

Tyan, abit and Supermicro made some decent server boards for PIII's. Overclocking included :thup:

In some cases to be able to play at all. The better newer games always needed the latest and greatest hardware to play smoothly, and you could get some playability by overclocking.

For some it was to get smoother gameplay...nothing like moving your mouse and having to wait for the cursor or your aimpoint to move.

For others it is just about bragging rights :screwy:

Duke Nukem 3D just ran smoother with a Pentium 233 overclocked to 262 especially with an overclocked TNT2 Ultra and a whopping 16mb EDO ram :attn:

I have a PIII 700E @ 1100 mhz with 256nb ram that quite happily runs games like Quake4 even though the minimum requirements say P4 2ghz with 512mb ram.

I need to get a new power supply to revive that old rig. It has NEVER been at stock speeds, and only saw 700mhz once and that on 1st bootup...after that it was 1050 and up.

some people even considered it stealing. Taking a Celeron 300A and getting pentium performance

Ah the legendary 300A...I had one..never could get it to do much over 504 but it ran great at 450..I didn't want to do the hacking of the tabs to get the higher voltage needed to get over 504 mhz..

I wish the old CPU database that Skip setup was still around, It had quite a lot of historic overclocks on there

I miss Skip too, he was/is a great guy.

Last edited:
The infamous Costa Rica Pentium 4 2.4b processors we had here that would do 3.5-3.6ghz on air were golden chips.

I remember most, if not all, OCs required some kind of hardware mods to make it work. Now it's it's mostly auto settings until you get to extreme OCs.

Ah the legendary 300A...I had one..never could get it to do much over 504 but it ran great at 450..I didn't want to do the hacking of the tabs to get the higher voltage needed to get over 504 mhz..

I wish the old CPU database that Skip setup was still around, It had quite a lot of historic overclocks on there

I miss Skip too, he was/is a great guy.

I remember that CPU database. The big problem w/it ultimately, is that there was no verification. That's the big reason I used to come to overclockers.com back then was the database (for the vcore settings people were using) and the articles by Joe Citarella.

Back