• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for affordable yet good SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lukart

Registered
After soo many years of hearing my HDD loading windows, grab a coffee while waiting and even getting the coffee cold while I finaly pass the Windows login, I decided to make the move! About time right?

I'm on a budget, not really looking for super high performance SSD but one that feels still fast enough. I was looking at the ARC – 100 from OCZ. What do you guys think?

Crucial MX100... One of the best bang for the buck drives out there. There is also the Samsung 840 EVO as well.

I am also looking for a good ssd. I found a site with comparisons of different SSDs and it says there that m550 is the best for its money ($114 at the moment).

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-840-Evo-250GB-vs-Crucial-M550-256GB/1594vs2000

Is this true or it computes a lot of unnecesary numbers when it comes up with its scores? The only thing that evo 840 is better there is a read parameter, which I think very important.
Thus said, can M550 be an equivalent to Evo 840?

You are bumping someone else's thread you hijacked looking for your answer?

Like RT said, you won't notice the difference between most drives. The evo 840, mx100, and arc would be at the top of my list.

MX100 has the best support from all of the mentioned SSD. I had only one problem with Crucial SSD and they replaced it in 10 days. That's 10 days including shipping from Poland to UK and back.
OCZ is right now Toshiba brand. I have no idea if their support quality has changed or not but it wasn't good in the past.
Samsung is generally one of the best SSD around in this price but I have no idea what about support in US. In EU it's nothing special.

I think your making the right move to a SSD. I got one in my laptop and wow what a difference. I would also check to see if the SSD comes with software to clone your old drive to the new SSD if that's impotent to you.

I recently purchased the Crucial M550 was the best for me. Its a bit more costly than the MX100, but I concluded that it was worth it.

I got Crucial M550 for $110 on Newegg just a week before it went on sale for $90.

I have a number of crucial m500 ssd's in 24/7 service, no problems with them at all so far.
for benching ssd's I have a stack of on sale cheap sandisk ssd's, no problems out of those either and they get reformatted a couple of times a month.
I also have 2 or three kingston v100 ssd's that got such a bad rap last year and they are going strong.
my older ocz ssd's started failing last year so I use those only to move info from work to home, those are from before toshiba took over so things might have changed for ocz drives.

Back