• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus 290 won't post after overclock, black screen and motherboard beeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Picartman

Registered
Hello everyone, I was trying to overclock my Asus R9 290 and I messed something up. I have an Intel i7, 6gb of ram, an EVGA x58 SLi mobo, and an 850w power supply. I was in MSI Afterburner and my settings matched this video at this time
except my memory clock was at 1275. The box that says "apply overclocking at system startup" was also checked. I was running Heaven benchmark and 10 seconds into the program, the entire computer shut off. I started it again, and got back to the desktop, reset all my MSI settings, unchecked the "apply overclocking" checkbox, and ran Heaven once more. Once again, the computer shut off.

I don't think my power supply is too weak for the card, and my max temps were around 60C with my Prolimatech air cooler. I also installed all the VRAM heatsinks correctly. The issue now is that when I try to start the computer, the motherboard makes a beeeeeep, beep-beep noise, and all I see is a black screen. The mobo says post error code 7f, or 25, and looking it up says it's a video card related error.

What I want to know is if I shorted something out on the card, or if my old overclock settings are still being applied. I tried doing a CMOS bios reset as well, and I still get the same issue now. I'm back to using my HD5750 card on the same system and the 290 is sitting next to me.

One more thing, the "+100" on the voltage slider in the MSI program is supposedly a 0.1 increase in voltage, which I'm not sure if that busted the card or not. It was running between +90 and +100 for a while and only during the benchmark would it shut off. The AUX voltage was also set to "+6" (setting shown at 10:02 in video).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to research and tackle this for the past night and I have no where else to turn.

Can you make a full list of all your components including model numbers?

Can you make a full list of all your components including model numbers?

Intel i7 Bloomfield 1366
EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel
Mushkin Enhanced HP 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (2GBx3 Sticks)
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC
Samsung Solid State Drive
ASUS R9 290 Graphics Card

Any friends or family with a computer that you could test the 290 in?

I'm just wanting to see if it functions in any computer other than your main one.

I will see if I can find a computer today to test it, I'll keep you updated.

I will see if I can find a computer today to test it, I'll keep you updated.

I tried a different computer and here's what happened. The display did not turn on, I was encountering a black screen on boot. However, the strange part is that the CD started spinning up for some reason in the computer. I waiting 5 minutes, removed the CD, placed another, and it spun up again. I then clicked the power button and it took 20 seconds to shut off. I believe the computer booted, but I couldn't see anything for some reason. I immediately tested the cable with the computer's old graphics card and it worked, so I believe that the issue is still with the video card.

If it doesn't work in another computer the GPU is just dead.

You could try flashing a clean BIOS on to the 290 with atiflash, but it isn't a guarantee that it'll work.

If it doesn't work in another computer the GPU is just dead.

You could try flashing a clean BIOS on to the 290 with atiflash, but it isn't a guarantee that it'll work.

Hmmm I see. How could I flash a new bios with AtiFlash if I cannot see the screen?

You use your old GPU to display, but set atiflash to the slot with the 290 in it.

You use your old GPU to display, but set atiflash to the slot with the 290 in it.

I loaded up ATIflash and when I typed in atiflash.exe -i for information, my graphics card didn't show up. I dissembled it all already, but I forget to play with the BIOS selector, even though it was switched toward the power connections. That's what this guide said either way http://www.overclock.net/t/1443242/the-r9-290-290x-unlock-thread Do you think that the BIOS selector has to do with it not showing up or is it completely gone? I don't recall "disabling" my second pci-e slot of my motherboard either (I don't think it's possible to do so anyways). Is there anything else I can try?

I would definitely try the second BIOS on the GPU

Second Bios? You mean shutting down the computer, switching the switch to the opposite end, and then try to reflash? Or should I try to boot up normally with the switch set to the other end? I just want to make sure I don't screw something up even more, sorry for all the questions. You've been a great help so far that's for sure.

Try to boot normally before trying to flash, but yes flip he switch to the other side

Try to boot normally before trying to flash, but yes flip he switch to the other side

I flipped the switch and it gave me the same beeping error. The keyboard and mouse lights turned on after a while though. The card is just not sending a video signal out, and I think the computer boots fine.

Never click apply overclock at startup unless your stable.

Boot into safemode and reset afterburner

Never click apply overclock at startup unless your stable.

Boot into safemode and reset afterburner

With my backup Ati card? All I get is a black screen with my 290, and I uninstalled afterburner after this all started to happen. Is there a registry setting that's trying to apply at startup and it's specific only to the 290?

Back