• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help building a 3D design computer.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chocobo

My father in law needs a new computer and already has a Quadro 600.

His budget is 600 dollars for everything, but the videocard.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I run a used Dell 780 with 8Gb of ram for my CAD/CAM computer. It actually runs very well for the files that I am working in. It has an add-on 'unsupported' ATI card and SolidWorks 13 renders well. It is not cutting edge, but it does the job I ask it to, creating files for my CNC mill and 3d printer.

The thing is that he wants to build a computer.

Could you suggest me a build?

So he needs everything in the tower except a GPU?
All peripherals already owned?

Which 3D CAD software?

A cookie-cutter build in that price range probably consists of:
256GB SSD
1TB HDD
8GB of RAM
Z97 Mobo of your choice
Case of your Choice
~600W PSU from the recommended PSU list

If peripherals are needed, that budget seems a bit tight. A decent monitor will eat up anywhere from 20% to 100% of that budget. I don't know anything about CAD and whatnot, but a Quadro 600 seems to be pretty outdate. Maybe some more experienced folks could weigh in whether that card will bottleneck the build or not.

He has a Quadro 600.

He isn't doing like crazy intense work like dreamworks. He's just messing around on his own free time.

He has a Quadro 600.

He isn't doing like crazy intense work like dreamworks. He's just messing around on his own free time.

Alright, third time asking, does he need peripherals?
Mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, etc. Basically anything that isn't the tower itself.

He has a Quadro 600.

That could make a difference. I was under the assumption this was for professional work, not just tinkering around as a hobby. Still, though, if a monitor needs to be included in that budget, it will be tight.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Chocobo87/saved/P7nj4D

This is what I got so far. What do you guys think?

I think he wants at least 16 GB of RAM.

The PSU is waaaaay overpowered. You can easily drop to a corsair cx430 to save half the price.

And any Intel i5 will seriously overpower a quadro 600, save some cash by going non-k and getting a h81 or h97 board.

Then use the extra money to fill up on hdd space (1TB is nothing for 3D work if anything is being produced). Or maybe push for 32gb of ram with right motherboard to suit.

Keep in mind that's because you're on lower power parts. And assuming the Quadro will run SLI.

Don't go trying to run two 290X's on it or something like that.

Lol I'm going to make him go quad SLI :p

It should be fine now until he upgrades his card.

Back