• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Read-only problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itachiii

I've been trying to uncheck read-only attribute from a folder and it simply won't let me. I've tried everything, turning off the UAC, moving the folder in a different destination, given full control to my account( and only account) via the security tab of the folder and it yet won't let me change the attribute.

Is there anything else I can do? I need to do it to get Dragon Age playing and I've tried everything desperately.
Thanks in advance!

Which folder? The Program Files(x86), Program Files, and Windows should be the ONLY read only folders as they are considered system folders. Program Files should allow you to write to it through an installer though.
Can you not install to a different folder?

Give the user "Everyone" full access then try again.

If not, rip the security settings off the folder:
Go to the security tab, click on "Advanced" then click "Change Permissions"

Uncheck the tab I circled in red, then click remove.

read only.PNG

Then after, click on the owner tab and set yourself as the owner and try to give yourself full access to the folder.
If that fails, I dunno :-/

Good luck, Windows security can be retarded sometimes.
@DarkApollo
Not necessarily.

Admins can write to the Program Files folders as well as any program you give admin rights to. ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. @Silver_Pharaoh, none of what you suggested work :/. I uninstalled the game and now I'm installing it at my desktop to check if it's still "read only"

Ok so I installed it at my desktop but no luck with that either. I keep giving full access to my account yet nothing happens. Any clue?

Ok so I installed it at my desktop but no luck with that either. I keep giving full access to my account yet nothing happens. Any clue?

Any other folders like this?
IF so, perhaps run Malwarebytes to scan for some virus..

Any other folders like this?
IF so, perhaps run Malwarebytes to scan for some virus..

In other folders I get a more... "smooth" error when trying to change the read-only attribute TBH. Like, "access denied and stuff" but it let's me change it. With this game folder it just seems it does it's own thing! :S I even tried to take off the read-only attribute via command line. Still nothing!! I'm trying to get Dragon Age Inquisition to play and one of the steps is to remove the read only attribute of the game main folder. I'm desperate, I don't know what to do!

This may not be your problem but on portable devices UAC is not completely turned off until you go to

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

and change the value of key EnableLUA to 0

However, this breaks Windows App store. But completely disables UAC on those devices. Windows App access can be restored by changing the value back to 1.

This may not be your problem but on portable devices UAC is not completely turned off until you go to

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

and change the value of key EnableLUA to 0

However, this breaks Windows App store. But completely disables UAC on those devices. Windows App access can be restored by changing the value back to 1.

Did that already! Yea I was running the installer as an administrator but that wouldn't affect the files being "read-only" I guess

Back