• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a suitable laptop for a Desktop replacement!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ajay57

After selling my X79 i7-4960X set up due to health problems i still want to carry on enjoying and helping members, when i can.

So i have decided to look around at some replacement Laptops i have managed to make up a short list, and would appreciate input from the members on here. I have a good idea what i am looking for, but just wish to double check first. ;)

1, GIGABYTE P27G V2-CF1 This comes with a i7-4810MQ @ 2.8Mhz boost to 3.8Mhz 8GB of 1600 Ram 1TBHDD, 128GB SSD Plus GTX860M 2GB of DDR5, Full HD screen 17.3 inch?

2, P25W V2-CF1 Same as above except it has the GTX870M 3GB of DDR5?

3, P25X V2-CF4 with the i7-4810MQ 16GB of 1600 Ram, same Drives, has the GTX880M 8GB of DDR5 plus Blu-ray and Full HD IPS Screen.

The bottom 2 units are 15.6 inch Screens.

Clearly the step ups all come with a cost, and yes it all depends what you are looking for overall, but i just wanted to know if anyone has any of these models! And what is there overall impressions of these models? :shrug:

Regards,

Ajay.

Last edited:
same question as ATM, what all do you plan to do on the laptops?

My plans are Live Streaming of TV Sports, news, and Films @ 1080p HD, also watching Blu-rays or DVD's so i understood that is why i was looking at the GPU's Guy's! ;)

Plus maybe the Ram size and speed? :shrug:

If you track these units down on the Egg they are high end units its just about finding the right one, also looking for at least 4 years use as well. Might even go as far as some Gaming if i got a bit bored!!

And thanks for the reply's its great to see you both, and i was watching the Browns the other day lol! :)

Ajay.

What's the budget?
Do you want 15" or 17"? Makes a decent difference in what to look at.

Amazing. This character from 1/4 way around the darn world gets the Browns game, and I do not. Stupid NFL contracts and local teams......:p

Anyway, I'm sure any will do for the needs you listed. Clearly #3 has the best specs out of the bunch though. #2 would be my choice with a bit of gaming in mind. Good luck running new games on a laptop in four years though...

Yeah i know i just recorded the full NFL Highlights last night plus a full game to watch later on ED! :p :D

OK as for the budget maybe £1500.00 or so!!

Would like 17 inch, but the Specs are lower on some Atmin, but 15.6 inch should be fine i have seen some with IPS as well here for that price and a bit lower due to discounts. :thup:

Yeah its nice to watch my NFL again really getting back into it now. :clap:

I will post you this to show you what we have on offer here in the UK.

1, http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ProductComparison

2, http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/P25W-V2-CF1-Gigabyte-P25W-V2-CF1_1629181.html#DetailTop

Then there is this one, but the 2GB's of GDDR5 on the GPU puts me off shame it did have some more or would have been a contender!

3, http://www.scan.co.uk/products/173-...-128gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-860m-2gb-win-81

Regards,

Ajay.

Last edited:
I'd recommend looking at the Dell Inspiron 7000 lineup. Very well built laptops, and some come with the NVidia 750 GPU.
Not a gaming machine, but it still has a bit of "oomph" to it.

I bought a 15" 7000 for mom for her birthday with the touchscreen, i5, and integrated GPU. It's a snappy machine and holding the laptop it seems to exude quality.
I believe those are shipping with a resolution higher than 1440p now, and may also be IPS (it sure has a viewing angle like an IPS).

Thanks Atmin will look into that one, and see what the Specs are compared to the rest i have posted. ;) :thup:

Ajay.

Update: Well after looking around some more and adding up the Pro's and Cons its going to be between these 2 i think so far! :shrug:

1,GIGABYTE P25W V2-CF1 15.6 i7-4810MQ @ 2.8Mhz 8GB @ 1600 DDR3L 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD GTX870M 3GB GDDR5 LED HD Screen 1080p.

2, MSI GS70 2QE-032UK i7-4710HQ @ 2.5Mhz 16GB @ 1600 DDR3L 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD @ 7200Rpm GTX970M 3GB GDDR5 same screen as above.

The only thing with the 128GB SSD is according to users a good 60GB is already used up as the boot drive. But i have nearly new spare drives in my tool box here so maybe no problems about that! ;)

Ajay.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, just to say thanks for the replys and the help i have now my final 3 contenders and will come back when i have my new Laptop. :) :thup:

Regards to all,

Ajay.

Edit: Not solved yet!

Last edited:
Let me get this right...You started with 3 choices... widdled down to 2... now back up to 3 and the thread is solved?????

Ok... good luck! :)

One can change one's mind you know, but really i found another Laptop which i never reviewed before now. Did they take away the solved Button ED can not see it anymore??

Just for you as a good friend these are the 2 i will be looking at in the flesh soon!

1, http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/G750JS-T4129H-ASUS-G750JS-T4129H_1627260.html#top

2, http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-177314-032-MSI-GS70-2QE(Stealth-Pro)-032UK_1680228.html#top

As there is no rush just will sit tight and see what happens with the prices ED.

The NFL games here on Monday Nights are great you should watch them lol, i forgot you can't see them!! :( :p

Ajay.

I can't see my hometown BROWNS (Cleveland Ohio) in MARYLAND where the Baltimore Ravens and Washington Redskins play. The networks are contractually obligated to show those. I see PLENTY of games, just not my Browns from my house. ;)

Post back with your choice!

I go with the New England Patriots, i watched a Dolphins vs Bears game that was really bad for the poor Bear fans. Some where booing and others had brown paper bags over there heads. I will watch some more and let you know i kinda like when we get to the play offs stages in each area. But the NFC SOUTH is a mixed bag with no clear winner right now!!

Last edited:
NFC South... and yep! :)

NFL is the League. NFC/AFC are the Conferences. The South/North/East/West are Divisions. :)

Yeah i have never seen so many mistakes and fumbles, boy those pass interceptions was so bad and how many millions of dollars did the Bears pay for this guy! :-/

I had to laugh ED when the Dolphins Defense kept sacking him then giving him the money sign lol!! Show me the money Dude! :rofl:

As you can see i am well into my Football here buddy i really enjoying watching the games. :salute:

Ajay.

P.S. Its nice to be back and chatting with you again, i have missed you too!

I must be a different week compared to your good self, as it was the Dolphins vs Bears @ soldier field the Dolphins won the game. It was a night time game and it was light rain hence the ball fumbles the Quarterback had to wear gloves to hold the ball. :salute:

But hey so long as we enjoy it, who splitting hairs here lol!! :)

Ajay.

We must be getting different broadcasts to you locals then hmmm! Well still looking forward to Monday for the updates plus the full game.

Ajay.

UPDATE: Been to my local PC Shop and had a look at the Laptops on display, and decided to go with the ASUS G750JS-T4129H i think this is a UK Model. Its as much as i would ever need and require here with enough bells and whistles to do any work. ;) :thup:

Will let you know when i decide to push the button and buy the item!! :salute:

Ajay.

Last edited:
Back