• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD a8 6600k black edition overclocking, give some tips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Durgesh

Registered
Hi friends, I recently built a new pc. Specifications are :
AMD a8 6600k black edition 3.9 GHz overclock 4.1-4.2 GHz
Gigabyte GA-G1 sniper a88x gaming motherboard bios version F8
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2x4 GB) 1600 mhz overclocking memory
WD caviar green 1 TB hard drive
Cooler master K281 mid tower cabinet
Cooler master TX3 evo cpu cooler
Seasonic m12ii evo 620w fully modular power supply.
I am getting a new graphics card about after a month. Now I want to overclock my processor to increase game frame rate. I have a bundled motherboard software easy tune. I overclock to 4.2GHz by this software but by this the system becomes unstable. Tell me a good method to overclock my processor.
I am the beginner in overclocking. I don't know anything. So tell me detail. At what clock can I overclock? How can I overclock safely without damaging my APU? I have AMD overdrive and prime 95. Tell me settings and tips to increase my games experience and frame rate.

First of all don't use software to Overclock. We'll do it from the bios. In a nut shell you would raise the multiplier in the bios and test with P95. If P95 fails add more Core voltage. At some point you're going to reach your thermal ceiling and will have to stop. Since you have AMD OD use it to monitor your temperatures. It will give you a thermal margin which is a distance to max temps.

First of all don't use software to Overclock. We'll do it from the bios. In a nut shell you would raise the multiplier in the bios and test with P95. If P95 fails add more Core voltage. At some point you're going to reach your thermal ceiling and will have to stop. Since you have AMD OD use it to monitor your temperatures. It will give you a thermal margin which is a distance to max temps.
What is the max temperature, means at which I should to stop for avoiding overheating?

Since you have AMD OD use it to monitor your temperatures. It will give you a thermal margin which is a distance to max temps. << is what 'johan' said in post #2. AMD AOD gives the distance to > overheat. So it counts down. When you get to 0 temp...well you are at the point of overheat.

We mostly used HWMonitor free version but lately it has not been so precise on the AMD APUs so we have gone to suggesting users employ AMD AOD for temp measurement. It counts down not up. So pretty hard to take a unit that counts down and give a max temp.

I have seen a few of the later boards and bioses seem to work pretty fair with the count-up of HWMonitor but since I do not use APU, it takes awhile to see enough come thru here to recognize newer realities.
RGone...ster.

Since you have AMD OD use it to monitor your temperatures. It will give you a thermal margin which is a distance to max temps. << is what 'johan' said in post #2. AMD AOD gives the distance to > overheat. So it counts down. When you get to 0 temp...well you are at the point of overheat.

We mostly used HWMonitor free version but lately it has not been so precise on the AMD APUs so we have gone to suggesting users employ AMD AOD for temp measurement. It counts down not up. So pretty hard to take a unit that counts down and give a max temp.

I have seen a few of the later boards and bioses seem to work pretty fair with the count-up of HWMonitor but since I do not use APU, it takes awhile to see enough come thru here to recognize newer realities.
RGone...ster.

Fir see snapshots of my bios.
See:

Last pic is of main bios and second last is of Advance frequency settings. 2nd is Advance cpu core settings and first is Advance voltage settings. Now please give me setting and configuration by the names that provided in my bios. And steps. I will really appreciate if you give answers!!! Thanks

And please keep in mind that I only want this for gaming. So give settings for my integrated graphics also

First of all Durgesh, could you attach pics directly to the site. Go to the advanced post screen and then select the paper clip it will allow you to attach images to your post. Secondly we can't give you a plug and play set of numbers to get you overclocked. It just doesn't work that way. The only true way to get your system to it's best is to make changes and test. There are too many variables involved. Even if I had your set-up of board and CPU my setting aren't likely to work on your system.

First of all Durgesh, could you attach pics directly to the site. Go to the advanced post screen and then select the paper clip it will allow you to attach images to your post. Secondly we can't give you a plug and play set of numbers to get you overclocked. It just doesn't work that way. The only true way to get your system to it's best is to make changes and test. There are too many variables involved. Even if I had your set-up of board and CPU my setting aren't likely to work on your system.
Ya, I just want to say that tell me appropriate steps and methods to do so. I am so new in this overclocking field. Sorry for late reply.

Ya, I just want to say that tell me appropriate steps and methods to do so. I am so new in this overclocking field. Sorry for late reply.
Following what I said in my initial post go to section 2-2 in your motherboard manual and it will help you find the settings you need. First I would use the set XMP profile to get your ram set correctly, then under advanced frequency setting find the CPU clock ratio, this is the multiplier setting. It starts at a multi of 39x 100(BCLK) to give you 3.9 Gigahertz. So up it .5 at a time and test with P95 for stability and monitor your temps with AMD OD. Just pay attention as the temp margin approaches 0.Do this for approximately 20 minutes. If it passes raise the multi another .5 and try again. You'll get to a point where either P95 won't pass or your temp margin is gone. If the margin is gone you'll have to stop and work on cooling. If P95 fails then go to the Advanced voltage section in bios and add some volts to the CPU VCore . Stay in offset and just add a bit by tapping on the "+" key and test again.

Pretty darn straight-forward there "johan man". Bump up and test and rinse and repeat.
RGone...ster.

Last edited:
WATCH YOUR TEMPS!

I tried overclocking my A4 6300k for giggles, and with a 100mhz overclock, temps shot through the roof (removing turbo didn't help either) very quickly. Cool n Quiet really does its job on these APU's...

Generally these CPUs have 1.325V VID or something near. At least my 6600K couldn't run at much lower voltage but it was overclocking good at not much higher. 4.7GHz 1.40V was possible for daily work and gaming ... but I wasn't happy about performance anyway.
Average water cooling with 240mm rad can keep it cool at 1.4V. Overclocking is like raise CPU ratio , add voltage and that's all. Memory OC is more complicated but you can live with XMP settings. If not then also memory ratio, memory voltage and manually main timings. Keep memory voltage at about 1.65V.
That's short version. Others already said more details.

Following what I said in my initial post go to section 2-2 in your motherboard manual and it will help you find the settings you need. First I would use the set XMP profile to get your ram set correctly, then under advanced frequency setting find the CPU clock ratio, this is the multiplier setting. It starts at a multi of 39x 100(BCLK) to give you 3.9 Gigahertz. So up it .5 at a time and test with P95 for stability and monitor your temps with AMD OD. Just pay attention as the temp margin approaches 0.Do this for approximately 20 minutes. If it passes raise the multi another .5 and try again. You'll get to a point where either P95 won't pass or your temp margin is gone. If the margin is gone you'll have to stop and work on cooling. If P95 fails then go to the Advanced voltage section in bios and add some volts to the CPU VCore . Stay in offset and just add a bit by tapping on the "+" key and test again.
Means I have to increase the cpu ratio, boot the system, then check stability by P95 and temps with AMD OD. I'd it passes then do this step again, Right?
And also before posting this forum, I overclock my processor by AMD OD. It gives a thermal margin of 70°c. In your reply you said that when it overheats AMD OD gives temp 0. I don't find such information in AMD OD. Please explain me this.....

Because it appears AMD AOD gives the temp UNTIL you reach too hot, then it appears to countdown in temp. You would see X temp until max is reached, then you would see Y temp until max is reached, then Z temp until max is reached...well by that WHEN max is reached there would be NO temp left until Max is reached so the reading would be ZerO.

And NO have not seen much ever written about using AOD, but then most of us don't use it but for a very few things. In the last little while after they REwrote the AOD software it has 'seemed' to be the most accurate way to view temps for APUs even if written very oddly in counting "down" temps until max would in theory be reached and ZerO would be the reading since there are zero degrees since Max is reached.
RGone...ster.

It will okay, but what about gpu Clock? How can I check them? Sorry for late reply

Attach pics directly to posts by clicking on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool. This will bring up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is obvious.

"Means I have to increase the cpu ratio, boot the system, then check stability by P95 (for 20 minutes) and temps with AMD OD. I'd it passes then do this step again, Right? Correct
And also before posting this forum, I overclock my processor by AMD OD. It gives a thermal margin of 70°c. In your reply you said that when it overheats AMD OD gives temp 0. I don't find such information in AMD OD. Please explain me this....." Thermal margin is the distance left before reaching maximum safe temperature of the processor's cores. Trust us, this is how it works, whether or not you find any info from AMD on the subject.

20 minutes of Prime95 testing in the initial phases of overclocking is sufficient and time efficient. As you seem to approach the max overclock of your CPU (when you can't seem to make it go faster on reasonable voltages with safe temsp) then begin using two hour long Prime95 stress tests to confirm that it is truly stable.

Will my cpu damage if I went something wrong? I don't want to damage my cpu!!!!!

Will my cpu damage if I went something wrong? I don't want to damage my cpu!!!!!

Most number one is that overclocking is running your parts out of specification. There is a risk always. Either you take the risk or you run stock. That said and understood, I have not seen a single thing told you that if you DO what they said...then there is little risk of any harm.
RGone...ster.

Back