• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Note taking software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

Hi all,

I'm looking for an app with which I can take notes in school. Last semester, I had a classmate with what I think was an i pad, and she took notes by writing directly on the screen as if it were paper with a stylus. It also recorded audio and synced the audio with what she was writing, so that she could select a part of her notes later and hear the audio being recorded at that time. I want that capability to use starting next semester. Microsoft's onenote has that ability, but I have it on my laptop, which isn't practical to use for writing on the touchscreen.

I'm not attached to onenote, another app that gives me the ability to take written notes with audio synced to it would be ok. My main question is this: If I go buy a tablet, what operating system should I look for, and what note taking app would you recommend? I'm used to android since my last few phones have used that, but from what I read onenote's android application is piss poor. As a final idea, (and I don't know whether anyone offers this capability) the ability to plug in a small webcam and record video synced to the notes would be awesome for when the instructor puts something up on the board that's too complex to copy quickly. Video ability isn't necessary, but would be nice.

I would recommend one with an active stylus instead of the typical capacitive (passive) stylus. You'll have a much more pleasant writing experience.

How do you tell which one a given device has?

If the device does not list an active stylus then it is passive.

The majority are passive, almost all active will come with the proper stylus.

I see. I almost wonder if I ought to just get an i pad like my classmate has. She didn't seem to have any trouble writing on it.

You won't have "trouble" with a passive stylus, but an active stylus will be much more pleasant for note taking.

That might be the key. I have a great laptop with tons of battery life, and such a device would allow me to avoid buying a another whole computing device. I wonder if it plays well with onenote?

It also seems that it will indeed take video (and I assume audio along with that). So, I'll probably get a usb webcam and use that to get video of a lecture.

Back