• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad performance (970 GTX)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoBioN

Hi everyone.

Since a upgrade from a Geforce 560 Ti to a Geforce 970 GTX i've been dissapointed by the performance upgrade. But i think the problem is on my end.

I google the game "Ryse - Son of rome" which i thought is a fine game for "benchmarking" my game compared to others.

Running the game with Very high settings and etc. should run fine. According to youtube video's and websites, people with similiar setups have smooth gameplay. I have in generally often only around the 30 fps mark and with alot going on, on the screen, it typically dives down to 15-25 fps.

Ryse - Son of rome is not the only game in which i think the performance is not up to par. almost everything i throw at this new setup is not very impressive. My expectations to the 970 GTX was that it would bring my System up to date with fluid gameplay, afterall, its not a cheap card.

My Spec's are in my signature :)

Anyone have an idea what to do?

One of those whom i compared my system to, was running a I5-3570K which is not that far from a i5-2500K

I also used MSI afterburner to check... Game was constantly using 98% load on the GPU while being in the 60-80% on the 4 different CPU cores...

As stated by earthdog, get a different test(s). Use something like heaven, Crysis 1 or 3, Farcry 4, Metro, Witcher 2 ect...

One of those whom i compared my system to, was running a I5-3570K which is not that far from a i5-2500K

I also used MSI afterburner to check... Game was constantly using 98% load on the GPU while being in the 60-80% on the 4 different CPU cores...
are you sure the resolution was the same? In game Settings? Cpu clock speed?

But as we said, do something less cpu intensive. Hwbot unigine heaven would be great.

are you sure the resolution was the same? In game Settings? Cpu clock speed?

But as we said, do something less cpu intensive. Hwbot unigine heaven would be great.

Yes, same settings.

Hmm.. might try Unigine heaven :)

Okay...

Did a Unigine Valley test... Preset was Extreme HD

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System

Platform:
Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (3292MHz) x4
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 9.18.13.4475/Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 9.17.10.3347 (4095MB) x1
Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset
Extreme HD

Not sure if this is good or bad...

Look at this thread.. and go to post #47 Compared to that, this is not very impressive at all!!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ark-scores-thread-over-250-submissions/page-3

Basic:

Benchmark - Basic.JPG

Extreme:

Benchmark - extreme.JPG

GPU:

GPUZ.JPG

Basic did not run very well... is it supposed to be running worse?

Scores are a bit low... I am reviewing a 970 now and in the version of Heaven you posted, I scored 2,990.xx. NOW, that card is HEAVILY overclocked out of the box (its 120MHz higher clocked out of the box). But you are still a couple hundred points low.

Have you run MSI AB and checked the graphs for the core clock throttling?

Made a clean driver install and OC'ed the CPU to 4.6 GHZ and extreme preset of the HWBOT Unigine heaven benchmark scored 2527 points compared to the earlier 2344.

3dmark 2010 "Fire strike" test. just the normal free one... Score is

SCORE
8709 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970(1x) and Intel Core i5-2500K Processor

Graphics Score 10645
Physics Score 8269
Combined Score 3814

EDIT:

Tried OC'ing the GPU +140 mhz to core clock and +500 mhz to memory clock which increased the score with about 500 points

Last edited:
That seems low compared to my 290 results. Do you have some rogue process running and maxing out your CPU maybe?

That seems low compared to my 290 results. Do you have some rogue process running and maxing out your CPU maybe?

Not that im aware... everything is fairly Oc'ed and should be well... Clean OS install a month ago

I tried installing a new PSU today, a Be Quiet 580 watt 80+ gold certified... Also i tried running with and without OC on CPU... there is no differences.

I have been tracking how things run with RivaTuner in many games and i see that the CPU never seems to be near maxed out. its always the graphics card and its sitting at 98 % most of the time. I guess Riva never really shows 100%?

As said, i overclocked the card and tempatures arent bad at all as they are never above 70 degree's from what i recall...

Must be faulty motherboard or something that does i can't archieve good results with my setup... with this much Overclocking it should be delivering fairly better... i just can't identify a problem

Back