• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What did I fry now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skoville

Registered
I have no idea where to put this..so I put it here.

The last thing I did was to install a Antec 950 water cooler. Just like I read everywhere, it was a sob. The cooling disc was so hard to get the mounting screws in I really thought it was the wrong screws. Anyway, after completion it wouldn't boot. Fans, lights, ok, just no boot. Tried a different video card, NG. I'm going back through it now, but if there are any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Also sending back the Antec.
I'm on a public computer, so if antone calls, I won't be back 'till tomorrow.

make sure everything is reseated. Your ram, GPU, 24 and 8 pin connectors ,etc. Start with 1 stick of ram to minimize issues.

make sure everything is reseated. Your ram, GPU, 24 and 8 pin connectors ,etc. Start with 1 stick of ram to minimize issues.

I agree with everything bob mentioned. I have seen boards that had to be manhandled to get a cooler mounted that had a trace actually broken due pressure applied during the heat sink mounting. I have big hands and I have to make sure that the outside of a finger or knuckle is not pushing against other parts.

Years ago I ordered a case and in the case parts kit was an odd rubber bumper that looking in the manual was to be used between the mobo and motherboard tray, next to the cpu. To keep from bending the mobo when installing the heat sink. Back in those days most every heat sink was a lever clamped arrangement that required pressure to over-center the lockdown mechanism.

After seeing the idea for what it was, I have put insulated bumpers between my cpu socket and ram on all my mobos. Surely glad of this since it is such a beeatch to get this ram down into these sockets that do NOT have latches on both ends.

At any rate, I would certainly remove and reinsert anything that plugs into the mobo.
RGone...

Thanks, all. I'm reinstalling everything now. I got my 9590 in combo with the Gigabyte 990. IF it comes to RMA-ing the board it seems most people prefer the Sabertooth board. Well, hopefully it's a simple fix. (he laughs hysterically)

Shoot me

RGone..
After seeing the idea for what it was, I have put insulated bumpers between my cpu socket and ram on all my mobos. Surely glad of this since it is such a beeatch to get this ram down into these sockets that do NOT have latches on both ends.

Same problem here. Damn things snapped off 1st try. Trying to send back Gigabyte, will see what happens. Noticed the CPU does not stay in socket. Pull off coolers and the CPU sticks to the bottom? Not right.
Weel back to it.

Pull off coolers and the CPU sticks to the bottom? Not right.
Weel back to it.

Well cpu seemingly glued to the heatsink is not new. Some TIMs seem like glue and have for years. I always made an effort to twist the cooler side to side to break the TIM seal but now I have studs holding even my air cooler down and there is no twisting that can be done. So I pulled my cpu out of the socket. Now it is back to the hair dryer to loosen the cooler from the cpu OR it certainly will pull the cpu out ANY boards socket. For sure.
RGone...

Of all things not to mention, when I'm testing, the CPU is always cold. Not even warm. I tried a different PSU, same thing. I still think it's the mobo but can't get Gigabyte until tomorrow.

Tried a different CPU, cold.

Last edited:
Back