• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I download a new OS to my flash drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheaptoad

Registered
I want to install a new OS on my new system. I currently have Win7 on my old system and I'm going to put 8.1 on my new drive.

I guess I want to make it a bootable drive?

I tried just to DL it straight to the drive but it's now asking me to burn a disk.

Thanx
CT

I want to install a new OS on my new system. I currently have Win7 on my old system and I'm going to put 8.1 on my new drive.

I guess I want to make it a bootable drive?

I tried just to DL it straight to the drive but it's now asking me to burn a disk.

Thanx
CT

Google Rufus or Windows 7 usb download tool. The latter is from Microsoft and will work for 8 too

This ^^.

You have to make bootable media for Windows install file/ISO. Run it amd install to your new drive.

Ok, the flash drive is now bootable with windows iso.

My ssd is installed and my old hd is now going to be my secondary drive. My old hd has win7 on it with a bunch of other files i'll want to keep.
Can someone help me with the rest of the steps on installing win8.1 on my new ssd. I also need to know if i have to do anything special with my old hd to use it as a secondary drive?

Thanx.

Disconnect your old hard drive so you can do the install. After the os install, next come the drivers, followed by the windows updates. When you've done all of the aforementioned, power down your computer hooked your old hard drive, backup your files, format the hard drive, copy your files back, and you are good to go.

Wish me luck. May the force be with me.

Don't I have to change the order of the boot drives?

Last edited:
Back