• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Things 5960x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Witchdoctor

Hey guys and Gals,

have no idea what is going on and hope someone can shed some light on this

My 5960x from when i bought in September to now has always had a wicked CB & CBB issue

CB out at around -106C and have to take it all the way up to -59C to boot

So needless to say it is a PITA to bench with.

However benching with it just last night it is CB'ing out at -65C

the CBB has not changed ? but only being able to bench at -65C is less than ideal as it will not pass Vantage at 5250 MHz ?

Did get it to run FS and 11 at those temps though

Does anyone have an explanation for this type of change, I mean last time I benched it just a few weeks ago and the CB was like I said at -106C ?

Nothing has been changed as I am using the same saved BIOS profile ?

The only change was the video card and can not buy that is the reason ????

Thanks

Hmm... That's a good one. I have never had my CB or CBB move.

I'm scared to mutter the word degredation?? I hope it's not!

yea i was thinking the same thing, only it has been only ever ran up to 1.7 core and only that for a few 2d's

99% of the time it has sat at 1.65 for 5250 Mhz 3d benching

It may very well be, but would be easier to buy if I was running at 1.8+ consistently ???

I don't think that CB had anything to do with degradation but hard to say. Probably you missed something like additional voltages, vrm frequency or something. I haven't been benching on LN2 for a while so I have to experience with new chips on LN2.
I just noticed these CPUs are acting weird sometimes when you set wrong voltages ... like one is affecting another and limit OC potential. I would check lower/higher PLL and vrm frequency. I'm not sure what else you have on your board but MSI had LN2 jumper :)

Yea, When i first got it I saved a bunch of different setting and clock profiles

Using these profiles eliminates missing a setting and such.

but agree I went in and manually checked the profile for accuracy and it is spot on ???

My ln2 switch is in the on position

this is what makes it so weird ???

I can not find an explanation for this type of behavior.

Like I stated the only thing that has changed is the video card and drivers ?

Redid the mount like 5 times, all five mounts i confirmed to be textbook, perfect even spread covering the entire footprint of the pot and chip

Profiles are usually not saving whole bios but only options crucial for overclocking and booting. All depends what BIOS and board.

Generally my hw-e is also acting weird but not because of temps. It's like I can bench on some settings for 1-2 days and in the 3rd day I see bluescreens or other issues at the same settings. Later when I check it again using exactly the same profiles then all is working fine.

Hmmmm.....

Wonder if it has anything to do with this 290x Lightning card.

Will have to try a good old fashion nVidia card

I know that on X79 some cards were causing various issues but on X99 everything should work fine. At least I had no issues related to newer or older AMD cards. On X79 I had to use 2nd pcie slot or manually force pcie 2.0.

Actually as I was expecting X99 has similar issues as X79 chipset which supposed to be much better than we got it. On paper it had additional features but in real we can't even make RAID on all SATA ports without issues. There is a lot of SATA but they are supported by 2 drivers or something and can't be combined. If I'm right then you can make only 4-drive RAID supported by Intel IRST even though many boards have 8 SATA or more. What more, they're sharing pcie lanes with other slots like M.2
It's kinda offtopic and shouldn't affect anyone who is benching on X99 :)

Wish I had the answer, it is disheartening not to be able to bench Vantage at 5250 :(

but will get to the bottom of it after the holidays, pretty hammered the next few weeks

I just sold 5820K and will probably try one more. I was thinking about 5960X but it cost too much and if I got something which can barely make 4.5GHz 1.45V like some that I already saw then I would be really mad. This CPU is nearly impossible to sell in my area.

yea they are insanely priced

I only got one as i have bunch of cards I wanted to bench with that 4 thread advantage

Not to mention if you want to try to compete for global points against the pro's it is almost mandatory

My OC Formula and 4770k acts the same way if I don’t give it a thorough drying out.

It’ll CB @-118 then the next day it will CB @-75ish.

Yea mine is all kinds of wonky when wet,

it was bone dry as it sat for at least a week or two stripped with no pot even mounted on it.

Have it torn down now just to make sure, That would be great if that is all it is

I am hoping it is this card doing it, although I can not come up with why it would do this.

Next time i get some juice will have to check this theory and hope it and pray my chip isn't effed, :bang head

Works fine on my z87OCFm board ?

Back