• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sports and news options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MunkyTOS

Hey OC'ers,

Trying to help my parents out with a better solution for cost effective way to watch all the things they want to and letting go of direct tv. Is there a service like netflix/hulu etc that provides these or a way to pick up these types of channels? I've seen antennae advertised to pick up local stations etc but can't tell how gimmicky or effective they actually are. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Only issue with local antennas is that you don't get things like ESPN

Thanks for the quick reply ATM, basically all my parents watch are local sports teams (new england/boston) hgtv lifetime news and weather so 90% of the channels are wasted for the cost :/

Also your sig makes no sense, I look right and I see a wall, I look left and I see a door :rofl:

Thanks for the quick reply ATM, basically all my parents watch are local sports teams (new england/boston) hgtv lifetime news and weather so 90% of the channels are wasted for the cost :/

Also your sig makes no sense, I look right and I see a wall, I look left and I see a door :rofl:

Yeah, sounds like an antenna would suit their needs then!
I've got one of these (even though I don't use it), works pretty well for when my parents visit LOL.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DIFIO8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm just gonna.... :chair:

You can't get HGTV, and Lifetime without some sort of paid tv provider. They certainly won't have the latest episodes on hulu or netfix if they carry any of that content.

Oh wow, a TWO TONE decorative antenna? What won't they think of? Also thanks mimart, basically just trying to get a feel for whats out there as I don't know.

I just got a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Connect. I get about 35 channels on with an antenna in my attic. I live in the city of Milwaukee so YMMV. Check with http://tvfool.com/ to see what is available in the area you are in. It has 2 tuners and is available to everything on your wired network. Other models advertise WiFi abilities but I have never had much luck at all with any kind of over wifi video. There is easy and free dvr software for it too.
I know this sounds like I'm a super fan boy but I'm cutting the cord and this product is a main reason it is going to work for me. There are other solutions too, like just plugging the antenna into your tv.

Back