• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire 290x Vapor X 8GB VS. GTX 970 VS. GTX 980

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

//:mC.n

Registered
Looking to purchase a new graphics card. Went to Microcenter with cash in hand today and couldn't decide between:

GTX 970 (Bang for the buck)
GTX 980 (Seems to be the powerhouse)
AMD 290x Vapor X 8gb (512bit)

I am using an ASUS VG248 1080p 144Hz monitor. Would like to upgrade to 4k within the next year.

I am not concerned with price as much as I am smooth gaming at max settings and high FPS as possible. So bang for the buck isn't as appealing somewhat stacking the odds against the 970.

Basically I am undecided between the 290x 8gb Vs. 980.

I am wondering how much of a difference the 512bit Vs. 256bit will matter, as well as the 8gb Vs. 4gb.

I have a lot to learn as far as number regarding specs...but seems to me that the 512bit with 8gb of RAM will enable more textures to load and process smoother vs. 256 and 4gb.

Or does gaming at 1080 kind of make the specs irrelevant when it's all said and done?

I have the AMD 9590 CPU and have had no issues with AMD. I have a 1300w 80 Gold PSU so power isn't an issue.

I recently built my girlfriend a PC and put a EVGA 750ti super clocked as she doesn't play many games, but I do like the way it runs. So I have since been tempted to try the 980.

I tried talking to a guy at Microcenter about it and he leaned toward the 980. But for some reason I just had this feeling he never tried an AMD card and why wouldn't he suggest the the higher priced item? He couldn't tell me much about the AMD card I was looking at.

I have done a lot of research and am still undecided. I am wondering how much of an impact would 512bit vs 256bit be? As well as longevity of 8gb Vs. 4gb be?

I have seen that the 290x Vapor X runs cooler then all of the other cards, and it does looks pretty nice too....Opinions, Thoughts, and feedback are welcome. I'd like to hear.

I would only consider getting the 8GB if you were going multiple 1440p or 4k screens. For 1080 or a single 4k I think you would be fine with the 4GB 290x or 980. The 980 has the current performance crown so i would lean towards that if you wanted to get top of the line.

Regarding the 512 v 256 bit part, from what I understand with the newer chips nVidia has put out, they have a more efficient method to transfer data through memory that isn't as limiting with the 256bit path.

No one card will be able to push next gen games at full force

Right now the best single card solution would be the 295x2

but if it were me I would opt for 2x 980's

The only other viable option would be wait out the 980Ti or r9350x IMO

1080P - are you talking at like 60hz? If so, every single option you listed is overkill by a hell of a lot, so just keep that in mind. If it were me, I'd go with a single 4gb 290x and use the rest of the money on beer.

He is currently 1080p 144hz according to the first post and going 4k eventually. I'd grab a 980 or 290x 4gb now then when you pick up 4k, plan on grabbing another.

Appreciate the feed back. Sounds like 8gb is pretty much pointless? I have been reading more about the cards in the meantime. I read that the 290x Vapor X 8gb outperformed both cards when used above 1440 & 4k. I do plan on moving to 4k within the year. Maybe considering in March or April when I get my bonus at work.

I have this vision of the 290x 8gb in Crossfire when the price drops after the release of the new line.

Again, Thanks for the feedback.

Depends on the settings on if you need that 8gb. When moving to 4k one usually needs less AA which is a bandwidth hog. If you insist on running copious amounts of AA then 8gb may be required.

Back