• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which TV's to look out for this Holiday Season?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmo_9000

So my dad keeps talking about buying a new TV sometime after Christmas, when he thinks there will be a bunch of sales.

My dad uses the TV with an HTPC connected to it pretty much as his main computer for things like facebook and so on. So I was thinking it would worth getting 4k and getting an IPS panel. Of course, we would have to wait a bit till reasonably priced HDMI 2.0 video cards come out.

This LG 65UB9200 65IN 4K 240Hz looks like a pretty good deal to me although I haven't done much looking into TV models recently. Of course he wants to wait till after Christmas so I will have to look again for what deals are out there. 2300 plus free shipping looks like a steal to me but then again I'm not entirely up to date on TV's right now.

I'm just wondering what everyone here would recommend. I also looked at some of Samsung TV's and I'm wondering how good their panels are compared to an LG IPS. Do other brands use TN technology or do they use something comparable to IPS? All they say is LED LCD, which doesn't tell me much, IPS is is an LCD display that could have LED back-lighting.

Last edited:
I have a Vizio 50" P-Series. Very impressed with it, would definitely recommend that series.

The 240Hz is definitely marketing. Moreover, no current GPU setup will do 240FPS with reasonable details at 4K. The 970 is a "reasonably priced" card with HDMI 2.0, though you'll probably want at least two for 4K. (I really think Nvidia should implement "reverse DSR" to make a 4K display work well for gaming with a single GPU...)

The IPS panel is nice and well worth it if you're going after top notch quality, but all those video processing features are better left to the GPU.

Back