• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a computer Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dorderi

MSI Nvidia GTX 760 2GB DDR5 TF Fan PCI-E Graphics Card

Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770K, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

MSI Z87-GD65-GAMING ATX Motherboard (Intel Z87, 4x DDR3, DVI, HDMI, 6x USB3.0, Killer E2205 LAN, LGA1150 Socket)

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black

WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue

Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 English 1 Pack DSP OEI DVD LCP (PC)

Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer

Corsair CC-9011050-WW Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case with Red LED Fan - Black

I need to know if all of these components would work correctly together, if there are better (within the price range) alternatives. If I have anything here that is a no go. I would be looking to play games like Arma 3, WoW mainly but with the option to play any other new games that may come that have high requirements without having to upgrade. I don't want comments saying you dont need that high specs or whatever, I have the money ì just need the help asap. Thank you.

Did you check the MSI website for that motherboard/CPU combo compatibility? Look also at the bios version info. Sometimes the bios needs to be updated to run a newer CPU release in a socket family. And if you don't already have a CPU that will work for sure in that motherboard you are up a creek without a paddle. If the CPU you list will work with the first bios put out for that motherboard then you would be okay. If not, you have no way of knowing which bios version the board ships with. Other than that potential issue the components you list should work together well.

My biggest concern from your list is the Corsair CX Builder series PSU. That's the lowest quality Corsair series. I suggest you look at upgrading that choice to one of EVGA's models or a Seasonic in that same wattage range.

Z87 was made(native) for Haswell(4770K)... your concerns are with Devil's Canyon (4790K/4690K) CPU's in Z87 trents. ;)

CX isn't great but plenty serviceable. If you have the budget, you can get something better.

I'd also look at the GTX 970 or AMD R9 290 instead of that GTX 760.

Dorderi, is there a particular reason you are going with a Z87 chipset motherboard instead of the newer Z97 chipset that would also run the CPU in your list but give also give you the ability to upgrade to Intel's newer offerings?

What is your location? If you are in the USA, are you near a Microcenter?

As was mentioned you don't want to be using Z87 with that chip you want Z97.

Back