• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED My HTPC is Broken

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
E6600 @ 2.4GHz
nvidia e-7150 i630
2x2GB Mushkin PC2-8500 @ 6400 (no voltage adjustment to run 8500)
HD 4650
500GB WD Blue
Antec 380W

My HTPC is broken. :( It has been locking with the evga screen during post, as well as getting to login, and getting to desktop before freezing. Probably the PSU, agreed? I gotta bring my multi-meter home from work to test. I have another PSU to test with so I hope the mobo isn't going. I don't have another mATX mobo.

Last edited:
I ran memtest86+ for about 4 hours last night without error. I also got a BSOD last night (stop: 0x00000124) and 'the google' says that is most likely a hardware failure, but could be a corrupt Windows install too. I can't get to Windows in Safe Mode either. I forgot to mention the OS is Vista 32bit.

Edit: Checked the PSU while running memtest - 12.3v, 5.0v, & 3.3v.
Tried to boot with the Vista disk & it hung at a black screen after the first loading bar. :confused:

Edit2: Swapped RAM with GSkill PC2-8000 & it's still acting the same. Hung once at the evga screen, once just before loading the Windows CD. Once after loading CD, but before the install window.

Last edited:
Sounds like PSU or maybe mobo caps. Visual inspection look ok? My money is on the PSU if so :)

Swap the PSU with the spare you mentioned you had.

My money is on the PSU since your RAM seems ok.

I'm going to swap out the PSU in the morning and see what happens.
Thx

Well I finally swapped my antec 380w with an old (pre '09) Ultra X-finity 500w PSU I had laying around. Seems that was the problem because I'm back in Windows and I was able to run Prime95 blend for about 4 hours. No BSOD or other issues.

Now I guess the next question is should I tuck all the wires in & keep the old Ultra or should I get a new PSU? System ran great with only 380w for many years. Whatdya think?

pre '09?
I'd buy a new one to be safe. :)

Nothing overly powerful of course.
Maybe a Corsair 430watt eh?

I was thinking about the evga 430w, but I haven't really looked at any reviews of their PSUs. I know corsair farms out good makers, but what about evga? It's very affordable at my local Microcenter.

I was thinking about the evga 430w, but I haven't really looked at any reviews of their PSUs. I know corsair farms out good makers, but what about evga? It's very affordable at my local Microcenter.

The EVGA 500B I bought is rock solid. Got good scores from Oklahoma Wolf too. I bought 2 of these and have not had any issues.

I would feel comfortable buying an EVGA PSU yes. :)

Back