• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will any socket 775 fit in a socket 775 motherboard and work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowlid

Well im trying to piece together a cheap cheap gaming rig for my Nvidia shield so i can stream to it. I recently fixed a persons computer and they gave me their old one as payment not much its a p4 single core with hyperthreading. I was wondering if it was possible to throw a q6600 quad in it if the motherboard could support the chip im not sure what the tdp is on the board. But my question is if the boards tdp was high enough is every 775 board the same in terms of accepting a new chip? Its a dell computer with dell mobo. I dont know much about Intel im only on my second build so far.

Thanks all,

Shadow

Your best bet is to go the mobo mfg website and look at the board's CPU compatibility list as not every s775 mobo will support the same CPUs.

If it came out of a dell with a P4, I doubt the chipset is new enough to handle that CPU.

Last edited:
Got ya ok cool i got a spare AM3 board laying around guess ill through that together!

Thanks for the info EarthDog!

Shadow

Your best bet is to go the mobo mfg website and look at the board's CPU compatibility list as not every s775 mobo will support the same CPUs.

If it came out of a dell with a P4, I doubt the chipset is new enough to handle that CPU.

+1

Don't know what chipset it is or how old the system is, but with it being a Pentium 4 it's probably fairly old. Support for a quad is unlikely, it might support a dual core though.

Back