• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new computer for a friend, could use some help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyllan

Like the title says, im building an entirely new pc for my friend after he broke his last one (not sure what happened, but its not working now). The major thing here is he is really cheap, like really cheap.. He needs a whole new computer for about 400-500 dollars that can "Run CSGO at over 150 FPS", now I play this too and I put big money into my computer and I know that end of the spectrum in PC's fairly well but with him working on such a small budget, I don't really know whats the biggest bang for the buck at that point. If any of you guys got some ideas that would be sweet!

I think he just chose that since its higher than 144 which is the refresh rate on his monitor. Also should have mentioned were in Canada so those prices may be quite different however I cant say ive looked at the link yet so ill be checking it out shortly.

I haven't had the chance to look at it and pick through it yet, however at the moment I am assuming that everything is useless and we'll need to start from scratch. And about that link you gave me, I find a lot of it questionable, specifically why he chose some parts over other but I do see the idea behind it, I just dont know how the lower end cpu's stack up, really.

Im guessing the case will be fine to move over with, hopefully the GPU since its the only newer thing in there ( 3 years old).

Theres absolutely nothing questionable about that build for the cost haha. The only thing up for debate is the motherboard, even then, thats tenuous.

CS:GO on stock g3258 and stock 750 ti (you can overclock the **** out of both of them as well) {these are WITH fraps running as well}

Max Settings 1080p
Max: 150
Average: 85
Minimum: 57

Medium Settings 1080p
Max: 120
Average: 95
Minimum: 74

Low Settings 1080p
Max: 160
Average: 105
Minimum: 90

With overclocks (gtx 750 ti unknown, G3258 @4.0 ghz)

Max Settings 1080p
Max: 286
Average: 132
Minimum: 76

Medium Settings 1080p
Max: 282
Average: 154
Minimum: 104

Low Settings 1080p
Max: 261
Average: 160
Minimum: 117

The reason I said some of them were questionable was that once I switched it over to Canadian, that motherboard becomes almost $170 dollars and the G.Skill 2400's become almost $110 without even including the Ontario sales tax lol, so that's why I said that. Any ideas on a cheaper z97 or is that really about as low as it goes for the newer boards?

So... that $100 USD mobo turns to $170 in Canada? WHAAAAAAAAAAT?

Will the guy want to overclock or is it just purely a stock machine? We can save some money on the processor and board if he isn't.

I feel like we should keep it as basic as possible since hes a pain in the butt to work with, if somethings wrong with it it takes him forever to even just get me the pc, so the less that can go wrong (No overclocking) the better.

Have him buy a PC off the shelf in that case. Otherwise, you are locked in as his tech support.

i5 4670
Giga Z97 HD3
2x4GB ddr3 1866

150fps? Thats an oddly specific and asinine number for that game....

anyway..

Cheap as it goes for decent performance, some wiggle room on the motherboard apparently.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/38FcmG

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/kRhG3C

Less money, moar power. $100 1TB HDD in your build? 750Ti when 270 is better and same price? Me no get it.

Have him buy a PC off the shelf in that case. Otherwise, you are locked in as his tech support.

i5 4670
Giga Z97 HD3
2x4GB ddr3 1866

He wants to play a low end 2 thread game. Why the mid range 4 core CPU?
Being locked in as someone's tech support is ok unless that person has a blueberry muffin for a brain, as is often the case.

I was my grandfather's tech support for 17 years. This was a man who thought he had a slot loading optical drive and used to shove DVDs between the two unused 5.25" drive bay covers. One day he called me and told me his "cd player had eaten over 30 discs". I came over, opened the case and found them all strewn about in there. I explained that infact, he did not have a slot loading drive, and that THIS was the optical drive and you had to press this little button in the bottom right corner to open and close it. This is the kind of horror you can experience when you are tech support for someone who is as skilled with computers as a goldfish is at peeling a potato.

Having said that, he had a PHD and was a University professor, so he was a smart guy. Just technology man... didn't "meld" with it. I once caught him beating his all in one print/copy/fax/scan to death with his fists like it had just killed his wife. Just cuzz it had a paper jam... lol. Memories.

Last edited:
woah woah woah mate, those prices changed, that thing was 40$ yesterday lmao. The 750 was also much cheaper... I wouldn't be caught dead recommending a 100$ 1tb spinner...

pcpartpicker can eat it sometimes... -.-

woah woah woah mate, those prices changed, that thing was 40$ yesterday lmao. The 750 was also much cheaper... I wouldn't be caught dead recommending a 100$ 1tb spinner...

pcpartpicker can eat it sometimes... -.-

Ya PCPARTPICKER prices vary violently from day to day on some parts. Strange. Some builds I've done on there stay the same price for 6 months, some go up, some go down. It's like a crazy ride at the fair. You have to buy right away to get what you see on screen with that site.

Unless it was an internet/email machine, I wouldn't go less than quad core. The minute the guy decides to play something else, a dual core could be useless. Perhaps a dual with HT if he really wanted to cheap out but get the threads..

Unless it was an internet/email machine, I wouldn't go less than quad core. The minute the guy decides to play something else, a dual core could be useless. Perhaps a dual with HT if he really wanted to cheap out but get the threads..

and

The major thing here is he is really cheap, like really cheap.. He needs a whole new computer for about 400-500 dollars that...

don't mesh well together. G3258 is more than enough for now, if he wants, he can upgrade to an i5 down the road without any muss. For CS:GO, he absolutely does not need a quad core.

Pretty myopic thinking imo (he will pay more in the long run by buying two chips). At minimum I'd snag one with HT now.

Pretty myopic thinking imo (he will pay more in the long run by buying two chips). At minimum I'd snag one with HT now.

That "budget" thing ED... If thats all he can get, then thats all he can get. Nothing short sighted about that. G3258 performs quite well in pretty much every title out, what exactly is your concern here? Only massive MMO's would tax the dual core, and CS:GO is not it. edit: Im NOT disagreeing with you. He should save and get an i5 honestly, but the g3258 would suit his purposes and then some.

I3 4150 instead of the Pentium. $30 more which if used in TOCNs build would be $500. Sorry I didn't spell that out earlier. :)

30-40$ that's not needed at all. He needs a cpu to handle cs:go, and the pentium is more than up to the task. If he's gonna step up, then he should get the i5, as there's not many situations where an i3 outperforms the g3258 (especially if he overclocks it....)

Speculation of what if is entirely moot, but thats not what was asked for this build. Always too easy to spend someone else's money here... by all means, I'd love to see a gaming benchmark where the i3 spanks the g3258....

Back