• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new computer for a friend, could use some help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just spending the budget is all. Get the best you can afford. In games that use more than two threads it will be beneficial. This also makes for one cpu purchase and cheaper in the long run (again while still keeping in his budget now). I can't imagine cs:go is the only game that's going to be played for this pc's useful life. Regardless, I'd rather have that locked 4 thread than the unlocked dual which is the minimum to get the guy by.

It's clear you disagree. And thats simply that. We informed him with good options at his budget, now it's up to the op to choose. ;)

Last edited:
Just spending the budget is all. Get the best you can afford. In games that use more than two threads it will be beneficial. This also makes for one cpu purchase and cheaper in the long run (again while still keeping in his budget now). I can't imagine cs:go is the only game that's going to be played for this pc's useful life. Regardless, I'd rather have that locked 4 thread than the unlocked dual which is the minimum to get the guy by.

It's clear you disagree. And thats simply that. We informed him with good options at his budget, now it's up to the op to choose. ;)

No you're right. He probably will play other games during the PCs useful life. It just jacks the price up like $120+ to get your CPU recommendation. That's all I was getting at.

No, it doesn't. Stick with me...I first mentioned it in post #15 (dual w/ht).

I3 4150 = $99. G3258 = $70.

You can't really OC that 4150 though and that's half the fun of building the system right there down the drain... If the person never intends to OC though, yes, the i3 is a stellar choice. Gotta wonder though, if you're shelling out $99 for a 2 core i3, why not shell out mere pennies more for a 6 core 6300? Sure the i3 can go on a cheaper board but that's like a $20-30 diff there (If we're using the GA970AUD3P). JM2C. MC.

You can't really OC that 4150 though and that's half the fun of building the system right there down the drain... If the person never intends to OC though, yes, the i3 is a stellar choice. Gotta wonder though, if you're shelling out $99 for a 2 core i3, why not shell out mere pennies more for a 6 core 6300? Sure the i3 can go on a cheaper board but that's like a $20-30 diff there (If we're using the GA970AUD3P). JM2C. MC.
I didn't see the word.overclocking yet in this thread from the OP. Logical leap, yes, but... Not sure we know its a requirement...

let's not bring up amd at this time, we know that fx is dead now.
the both of you are bringing up very good builds that leave room to upgrade in the future but will perform flawlessly now.

let's not bring up amd at this time, we know that fx is dead now.
the both of you are bringing up very good builds that leave room to upgrade in the future but will perform flawlessly now.

FX may be a dead end, but that doesn't mean it isn't the right choice for this build. Most people do not upgrade their CPU in their builds. Some do but most don't. I have yet to have a local friend/family member that I have built a PC for ask for a CPU upgrade. They usually just ask me to build a whole new system.

Yes, Intel, with Z97, is a better option, upgrade path wise, but I'm not sure I'd chose an i3 over a 6300 for a budget gaming machine, all things considered. JM2C. If you guys really feel this way strongly, I will retract my comment and get on board with the Intel people.

Seems just as viable, the hex FX, but not sure how it's any more beneficial and using almost double the power/heat to get rid of.

Hey thanks for all the input and stayin busy in the thread, just got back from some family stuff with the holidays and all. Overclocking isnt gonna happen because I dont want to spend the time to do it on his computer and have to make sure its all working nicely since its a budget pc and not mine ontop of it lol. But I kind of agree with a quadcore, hes cheap as hell, but he does play other games like Diablo 3, CS:GO, League of Legends, possibly an MMO if one comes up im guessing, Minecraft, hearthstone but hard to build a PC for Hearthstone since its barely a game lol. So with all that, yeah I believe a quadcore is beneficial :)

Hey thanks for all the input and stayin busy in the thread, just got back from some family stuff with the holidays and all. Overclocking isnt gonna happen because I dont want to spend the time to do it on his computer and have to make sure its all working nicely since its a budget pc and not mine ontop of it lol. But I kind of agree with a quadcore, hes cheap as hell, but he does play other games like Diablo 3, CS:GO, League of Legends, possibly an MMO if one comes up im guessing, Minecraft, hearthstone but hard to build a PC for Hearthstone since its barely a game lol. So with all that, yeah I believe a quadcore is beneficial :)

I'd go with atleast an intel 4440 or 4460 then. More ideally a 4690 (non K if you don't want to OC) and B85, H81 or H97 mobo. The ASRock B85 Anniversary is a decent cheap board.

Just looking at newegg.ca right now, that ASRock B85 Anniversary is 274.99 lol, kind of really really out of the budget range, aswell as both of those would probably be out of budget aswell. Ill have to see about getting more money, I mean to most people its fairly understood that you have to pay for what you want, not so much for him..

Thats out of stock. Ill look again in a couple minutes, I must have read the wrong board lol.

Edit - What I was looking at was a combo actually for 274.99

Back