• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap HTPC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itachiii

I'm currently building an HTPC for a friend, which doesn't do any gaming or stuff, just needs an HTPC for his 42" Samsung TV to watch movies,back ups pictures, music and do some surfing from his couch with his wife. Since I don't have much experience with HTPC builds I would like your opinion with the list I came up with, we want to save a few bucks from here and there:

AMD A6-6400k
Asus A78M-E
G.skill 2x2gb 1333MHz
Aerocool QS-102
BeQuiet System Power 7 350W
WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Your thoughts?

Since there's no real need for horse power maybe check out the AMD Athlon 5350 the CPU/boards are small cheap and low power would likely do well with what you need. I wouldn't try any real gaming on it though. There's even a dual core variant that's even cheaper.

yea I'll be swapping the 6400 with the 6300 it's like half the price down. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the mobo though.

I spent quite some time researching for my htpc. That's the motherboard I settled on if that helps. (I'm a cheap skate, but I also don't want things breaking). Works well for this application.

Fwiw, the stock cooler is incredibly noisy and doesn't work for crap. I'd recommend getting an h50/55/60 (whichever is cheapest).

I spent quite some time researching for my htpc. That's the motherboard I settled on if that helps. (I'm a cheap skate, but I also don't want things breaking). Works well for this application.

Fwiw, the stock cooler is incredibly noisy and doesn't work for crap. I'd recommend getting an h50/55/60 (whichever is cheapest).

Question - why an AIO cooler for an HTPC? All you're doing as adding pump noise when it isn't needed. It doesn't even look like the case has a 120mm fan slot. Something like the NH-L9a would work if Itachiii isn't planning on OCing.

Question - why an AIO cooler for an HTPC? All you're doing as adding pump noise when it isn't needed. It doesn't even look like the case has a 120mm fan slot. Something like the NH-L9a would work if Itachiii isn't planning on OCing.

Nah, not OC'ing, just a PC for movies and web browsing. Nothing more... I think that stock cooler can handle that..

I guess I was thinking about my case and setup. An H50-60 will be perfect for it. I would think an h60 would outperform an l9. The l9 uses a 95mm fan at 2500rpm, so I don't think its nearly as quiet as their other claims to fame.

Back