• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2nd 4P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
I almost have 2nd 4p ready to fold, just need case and HS :) Now before you start telling me I can run it with out a case, I have 2 cats, so I need the case :)

I almost have 2nd 4p ready to fold, just need case and HS :) Now before you start telling me I can run it with out a case, I have 2 cats, so I need the case :)

Either a case, or in a room the cats can't get into. (Where I'm keeping my 4P away from our 6 cats.)

7 snakes, 5 cats, 1 dog and 1 hedgehog and I manage to keep them out of the computers...

I got a case this week, should have 2nd 4P up and running this coming week, but I may rent it out :)

It's done, now to set it up for folding or rent it out as a server. (get some of that $$$$ back) :rofl::comp:

Wouldn't you need some massive storage to use it as a server?

Not to mention a very high speed connection to the net?

If I rent it out, I will fix it up with buckets of storage, that's why I also added a USB 3.0 PCIx card to add even more.
And who I rent it to will have it so they should have the high speed internet needed.

or

If I keep it and fold, I'll just keep the 120GB hdd in it.

Yeah, I'm trying to think of a good use for mine, or whether or not I should just part it out.

Put it on BOINC. There are SO MANY worthy scientific projects there, including Rosetta@home, which is very similar to F@H. I'm running Rosetta currently. It installs an instance of the work unit for every thread of the machine - yes, 48 mini-Rosettas all running at once. Your hardware is still exceptional and is still valued. :) Light up that 4P! :shock:

Doesn't Overclockers have a Rosetta team already?

Last edited:
Woke up this morning and 2nd 4P was locked up, so I hit reset and nothing, so I unplug-ed the power for 15 sec and reconnected it and now no power, activity led on the network connector was on but no fans on. So I'm thinking CPU 1 went bad, no smoke just stoped working, well I unplug the 4P and go do something else for an hour or more and come back to it and try again, now it works.
I'm thinking now it was a thermal shutdown, I put a 20" box fan next to the 4P :) :shrug: weird

I've had something similar happen with a Supermicro 4P before: Shut it off for a while with power disconnected, later would not restart, waited an hour or so, system then restarted.

Gremlins, obviously.

I've had something similar happen with a Supermicro 4P before: Shut it off for a while with power disconnected, later would not restart, waited an hour or so, system then restarted.

Gremlins, obviously.

I also had the same situation with a Supermicro. In my case it stopped working after several reboots while testing. I could get nothing working and finally took the CMOS battery out for 10 minutes and again nothing. The next day, I casually tried to turn it on, not expecting anything, but suddenly it started. Mine was not overheating because I wasn't stressing the board. I was just glad it worked again, as I'm sure you are as well!

My mobo is definitely heat sensitive. If the room temps get up over 90 (32c), I find the CPUs will drop down to a slower speed and I will have to reboot the mobo to reestablish the old clock speed. I believe AMD Opterons do not have the same temperature range as Intel's, with a max of 65c rather than 100c.

Last edited:
Back