• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing a graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

byron182

My ATI HD5970 just died and my old Nvidia 8400 gs keeps crashing. I can't afford high end cards and I need help choosing a decent replacement. I would like to be able to play recent games (COD AF, Farcry) in low or medium settings if possible. If the ff cards are cards are similar in performance, I'll buy the cheapest one. I appreciate any advice you guys can offer me. Thanks

The cards that I can afford are:

ATI
Powercolor HD5570 2GB DDR3
http://pcx.com.ph/components/graphi...-hd5570-2gb-ddr3-128bit-ax5570-2gbk3-hv3.html

POWERCOLOR HD7730 1GB GDDR5 128BIT
http://pcx.com.ph/components/graphi...-hd7730-1gb-gddr5-128bit-ax7730-1gbd5-he.html

POWERCOLOR R7 240 V2 OC 2GB DDR3 128BI
http://pcx.com.ph/components/graphi...128bit-axr7-240-2gbk3-hv2e-oc-video-card.html

MSI HD6570 1GB DDR3 128BIT
http://pcx.com.ph/components/graphics-card/amd/msi-hd6570-1gb-ddr3-128bit-r6570-md1gd3-lp.html

POWERCOLOR HD7750 1GB DDR3 128BIT

Nvidia

MSI GEFORCE GT630 2GB DDR3 128BIT
http://pcx.com.ph/components/graphics-card/nvidia/msi-gt630-2gb-ddr3-128bit-n630gt-md2gd3.html

ZOTAC GEFORCE GT640 1GB DDR3 128BIT SYNERGY EDITION
http://pcx.com.ph/components/graphi...-synergy-edition-zt-60205-10l-video-card.html

EVGA GEFORCE GT630 1GB DDR3 128BIT
http://pcx.com.ph/components/graphics-card/nvidia/evga-gt630-1gb-ddr3-128bit-01g-p3-2631-kr.html

Ouch...

None of those are remotely 'gaming' GPUs...I would save up for something (A LOT) better. Some are generations old, weak for what you need it for, and do not have enough vRAM for today's games in the first place (minimum at 1080p is 2GB really).

The cheapest card I would get is the 750Ti or R7 270x.

If you forced me to pick something out of that list, I would choose the 7750.

Ouch...

None of those are remotely 'gaming' GPUs...I would save up for something (A LOT) better. Some are generations old, weak for what you need it for, and do not have enough vRAM for today's games in the first place (minimum at 1080p is 2GB really).

The cheapest card I would get is the 750Ti.

If you forced me to pick something out of that list, I would choose the 7750.

Yeah I know. Sadly that's all I can afford. Even the 7750 is a stretch. I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore (just got married with a baby on the way) but I want to run games at the minimum settings if I want to. I can't even play Mount & blade at 60 fps with the current GPU I have and it even crashes with Sinsofasolarempire.

I'm not sure what to tell you... Witchy has a great idea and try to bake the card (search teh site for details on the process) and see if it comes back. EDIT: Yes, in an oven.

I'm actually floored that your 5970 even ran off a 550W PSU as that is two 5870's in one...Are you sure the PSU isn't crapping out on you? Do you have a more powerful unit or different PC to try either vidoecard in?

Otherwise, I would really save up for a 750ti/r7 270x.

I'm not sure what to tell you... Witchy has a great idea and try to bake the card (search teh site for details on the process) and see if it comes back. EDIT: Yes, in an oven.

I'm actually floored that your 5970 even ran off a 550W PSU as that is two 5870's in one...Are you sure the PSU isn't crapping out on you? Do you have a more powerful unit or different PC to try either vidoecard in?

Otherwise, I would really save up for a 750ti/r7 270x.

It ran for 3+ years with the 550w psu with no problems. It surprised me too. I changed the psu with a corsair 650w a year ago. It's been awhile since I posted here. Here's a pic with the old psu 20130318_193313.jpg

You were lucky is all...;)

You may want to update your signature to add that new PSU. ;)

Last edited:
You were lucky is all...;)

You may want to update your signature to add that new PSU. ;)

lucky? maybe..maybe not. I pushed that card and psu hard for years. I probably lessened both lifespans for a couple of months. I think people tend to be a bit conservative in giving suggestions to the correct minimum of watts a system can handle.

Let me frame this for you in a different way...

That PSU in your signature, only had 360W on the 12v rail(s). The 5970 is a 295W card at stock. The rest of your system was another 50-75W or so which puts you right up to its limit. So I'm sticking with luck there, especially if you were overclocking.

People are conservative when it comes to that, no doubt. However I am not one of those people (I ran a GTX 690 and 4930K on a QUALITY 550W Seasonic PSU with 44A on 12v rail). So, yeah, I'm not one of those people. But there is no way I would tell someone that it would be ok to run that Coolermaster with that card for an extended period of time.

Let me frame this for you in a different way...

That PSU in your signature, only had 360W on the 12v rail(s). The 5970 is a 295W card at stock. The rest of your system was another 50-75W or so which puts you right up to its limit. So I'm sticking with luck there, especially if you were overclocking.

People are conservative when it comes to that, no doubt. However I am not one of those people (I ran a GTX 690 and 4930K on a QUALITY 550W Seasonic PSU with 44A on 12v rail). So, yeah, I'm not one of those people. But there is no way I would tell someone that it would be ok to run that Coolermaster with that card for an extended period of time.

no overclocking. I know I was using my PSU at its limit and quite frankly I didn't care at that time. Then I felt I was pushing my luck with the Coolermaster for 3 years that's why I changed it with a corsair 650w. Then my 5970 died using the corsair. Ironic huh.

I don't play games like I used to and I usually use my pc watching movies now. That's the reason I'm getting the low end card. I'll probably get the 7750 or the cheaper ones as long as it plays the newer 3d games at the lowest setting. I hope you get what I'm aiming for.

I get what you are aiming for... but I still think its worth it to sit on it and get a 750ti. 1GB of ram at 1080P can kill you in a lot of titles no matter Low/Medium. Look at the minimum requirements for those games... ;)

I wouldn't get anything less than that 7750 in that list, you simply will not be happy with your purchase.

Good luck. :)

I get what you are aiming for... but I still think its worth it to sit on it and get a 750ti. 1GB of ram at 1080P can kill you in a lot of titles no matter Low/Medium. Look at the minimum requirements for those games... ;)

I wouldn't get anything less than that 7750 in that list, you simply will not be happy with your purchase.

Good luck. :)

thanks for the advice. If I get mo money I'll to get the 750ti , if not then the 7750.

How about this one? GAINWARD GEFORCE GT640 2GB DDR3 128BIT video card

1 GB DDR5 vs 2 GB DDR3. Any Diff?

Which is better generally? both are 128bit

Garbage as I said earlier. That model was in your original list.

As far as your other thread which I merged as it covers the same.subject, this orucahse, you want 2gb of ddr5 if possible.

Last edited:
A 660 isn't bad. You can check on your own by googling 'gtx 660 reviews' and looking at results. I'd link you but I'm mobile...it's also time to 'learn how to fish'.. :)

A 660 isn't bad. You can check on your own by googling 'gtx 660 reviews' and looking at results. I'd link you but I'm mobile...it's also time to 'learn how to fish'.. :)
Is there a comparable AMD GPU with the gtx660 and gtx750?

Last edited:
Back