• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini-ITX 4790S build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCLW

Build for my father. Goals were small size, low noise, and high efficiency with a mid-range discrete GPU.

This is my third mITX build in a row and I'm definitely a fan of the form factor.

Ended up going with:
- Silverstone SG05 (USB3/450W)
- Asus Z97I-Plus
- i7-4790S (65W)
- Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v
- Asus GTX 750ti Strix
- Intel 730 240GB
- Noctua NH-C12P

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

The Z97I-Plus is pretty well laid out, except for the two SATA connectors inside the memory/PCIe slot. I will only be using one SATA device so it doesn't really matter to me.

IMG_1098.jpg

M.2 slot on the back of the board (supports both PCIe and SATA modes). I ended up not using it because some people were having trouble with M.2 drives not waking up when coming out of standby, and because they were practically giving intel 730 drives away for free on Black Friday.

IMG_1103.jpg

This memory is super low profile. The height didn't really matter to me - I only chose it because it was low voltage with tight timings.

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

The Noctua mounting system is probably the best I've ever seen - at least for LGA115X.

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

The board takes up most of the case.

IMG_1113.jpg

The wi-fi connectors are a pain.

IMG_1115.jpg

The GTX 750ti Strix is only a little longer then the mITX board. Like almost all GTX 750 based cards, it has no external power connector.

IMG_1116.jpg

I've seen a lot of people asking if a Noctua NH-C12P will fit in a SG05 (or SG06) but no definitive answer. I can confirm that it does indeed fit, at least on the Z97I-Plus (and P8Z77-I Dlx).

IMG_1119.jpg

I didn't try all the possibilities but it should fit in at least three of the four orientations.

IMG_1123.jpg

Obviously a fan won't fit on top with the SFX power supply mounted, but the PSU fan will end up right on top of the cooler (which is why I ended up going with this orientation).

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

I ended up needing an extra mm to get the power supply in so I drilled the PSU mounting holes out a little oversize (with a 3/16 bit IIRC) and it fit perfectly.

IMG_1129.jpg

I should have dug up the pirate Lego.

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

If you don't add an optical drive it makes a good place to store the excess wiring.

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

If there was an optical drive I would cut out the molex and PCIe power leads to reduce the amount of extra wires.

IMG_1136.jpg

Thank you for making me laugh harder than any post on this forum ever has. The little lego guys cracked me up so hard I have no words to describe it.

attachment.php

This one made me laugh hardest. You have a brilliant sense of humor!

Back