• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drowning in information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

retsgtcas

Hello everyone.

I'm updating the system in my signature with the following:

New parts:

NZXT Phantom 820 Full ATX Steel Case
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB DDR3-1600 CL 10)
i7 4790 3.6HZ (I hope to push at least to 4.5HZ)
Corsair AX860 ATX power supply
Asus Z97-Pro Wi-Fi ATX
Assorted SSDs
1 2T HDD
Essence STX II

Cooling parts:

Corsair Power Cable Kit (CP-8920046) Blue
Alphacool HF D5 Top - Black Acetal w/ Swiftech MCP655-PWM Pump Installed
Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Pro 15 LT

Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT USB Fan Controller
or
Phobya 4-pin to 6 x 3-Pin Fan Splitter PCB

EK Geforce GTX 980 VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acrylic (EK-FC980 GTX)
Confused about the backplate / needed or not?
If needed:
EK GeForce 980 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling RAM Backplate - Black (EK-FC980 GTX Backplate - Black)

Swiftech Apogee HD CPU Waterblock - Black
Radiator 1: AlphaCool NexXxoS XT 45 360mm
Radiator 2: AlphaCool NexXxoS XT 45 240mm

1/2 pressure fittings all around once the components are finalized.

I've read the Water cooling starting guide forwards and backward, that I could probably recite it. I'm just overwhelm with info.

Is this too much for my first water cooled system?

The loop:

Res attached to the pump> 240mm Rad Lower Right> Rad to GPU> GPU to 360mm Rad> 360mm Rad to CPU> CPU to Res.

I may add a second 980 if there "needed" in the future.

Any and all comments welcome. I have the PC parts with me already, just holding off on the water cooling parts until I bounce it off your guys before making a very expensive mistake.

Thank you in advance.

If I understand your question you are trying to figure out if you need the Backplate.

You already have the GPU and this is a generic waterblock for it. (Linky)

If this is a correct summarization - then I would certainly make sure that it has the backplate.

NB - I didn't look at the size of the case the NZXT Phantom 820 Full ATX Case should be plenty big for your build.

Hope this helps - Good luck in your build!

If I understand your question you are trying to figure out if you need the Backplate.

You already have the GPU and this is a generic waterblock for it. (Linky)

If this is a correct summarization - then I would certainly make sure that it has the backplate.

NB - I didn't look at the size of the case the NZXT Phantom 820 Full ATX Case should be plenty big for your build.

Hope this helps - Good luck in your build!

Over all, I want to know if what I've picked out is doable. Do I have the "right" parts or am I short on something.

I have the GTX 980 currently running in my old system, just because I couldn't wait to see what the jump was from the Xfire 6950s. Man it's almost like night and day :)

Ok, so DO get a back plate to match the 980 water block.

Hello everyone.

I'm updating the system in my signature with the following:

New parts:

NZXT Phantom 820 Full ATX Steel Case
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB DDR3-1600 CL 10)
i7 4790 3.6HZ (I hope to push at least to 4.5HZ)
Corsair AX860 ATX power supply
Asus Z97-Pro Wi-Fi ATX
Assorted SSDs
1 2T HDD
Essence STX II

Looks good. :thup:

Cooling parts:

Corsair Power Cable Kit (CP-8920046) Blue
Alphacool HF D5 Top - Black Acetal w/ Swiftech MCP655-PWM Pump Installed
Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Pro 15 LT

Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT USB Fan Controller
or
Phobya 4-pin to 6 x 3-Pin Fan Splitter PCB

I would grab the AQ6 only if you're going to match it with the same AQ PWM pumps from them and other accessories should you add a flow meter, temp probes etc. Sometimes the other pumps won't work well with the AQ6 and some modifications might be needed on other flow meters.

EK Geforce GTX 980 VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acrylic (EK-FC980 GTX)
Confused about the backplate / needed or not?
If needed:
EK GeForce 980 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling RAM Backplate - Black (EK-FC980 GTX Backplate - Black)

Not a fan of acrylic since it is prone to cracking or weaken after a long time. Should still be ok but my personal preference I steer away from acrylic.

As for the backplate, I would grab one for support. It will strengthen the back of the GPU and try to keep it leveled since it will be bottom heavy with the WB on the other side. It lessens the bend and gives it a nice aesthetic look.

Swiftech Apogee HD CPU Waterblock - Black
Radiator 1: AlphaCool NexXxoS XT 45 360mm
Radiator 2: AlphaCool NexXxoS XT 45 240mm

1/2 pressure fittings all around once the components are finalized.

I've read the Water cooling starting guide forwards and backward, that I could probably recite it. I'm just overwhelm with info.

Is this too much for my first water cooled system?

That much rad is more than enough for a CPU + GPU let alone a CPU + 2 GPUs.

The loop:

Res attached to the pump> 240mm Rad Lower Right> Rad to GPU> GPU to 360mm Rad> 360mm Rad to CPU> CPU to Res.

I may add a second 980 if there "needed" in the future.

Any and all comments welcome. I have the PC parts with me already, just holding off on the water cooling parts until I bounce it off your guys before making a very expensive mistake.

Thank you in advance.

Loop order doesn't matter as long as you have the reservoir is right before the pump, naturally feeding it.

Also, tubing I would recommend PrimoChill Advanced LRT of your choice of color if you do decide a theme for the build and possibly taking a look at the Swiftech XL or XSPC Raystorm CPU WBs since they can all perform almost the same within a few degrees of each other. It comes down to price and aesthetics.

Thank you for the reply.

I will look into the failure rates of acrylic and into the PrimoChill Advanced LRT tubing. I plan to order everything by Jan 15th, so all opinions or suggestions are welcomed.

Back